Scotlands Diego Costa - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotlands Diego Costa

giblet

Yep - if it wasn't for Rhodes' goalscoring knack we would've lost or drawn away to Luxembourg.

I'm hardly saying he's the number 1 striker but the vast majority of fans would have Rhodes ahead of Martin any day

goalscoring knack, he nearly missed the first one from a yard out.

He is obviously not in the squad for a reason and strachan has Martin in ahead of him for a reason.

Hopefully Naismith and Fletcher are fit and in form for March

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rhodes? again.. he's not in form at all this season. he's scored in jut 4 of his last 16 games. he looks like he'll be lucky to hit 20 this season. :/

chris martin merits the place a lot more than rhodes does. if rhodes wants to play he needs to hit the net more, simple as that. while martin's scoring twice as many as rhodes, there's not really a question for strachan to answer.

I really hope Strachan doesn't play Martin against Gibraltar for the sole purpose of him getting 3 or 4 goals.

We have been getting told by Strachan that Steven Fletcher was the missing piece of his team, and has done his job as been instructed to him by Strachan (yes he could really do with getting a few goals) and think he should continue playing in qualifiers, with Martin maybe used in the Northern Ireland game (if Strachan insists on him getting a chance) and come of for Fletcher in the Gibraltar game in the 2nd half.

Saying that though, if Strachan was to totally wash his hands of the Gibraltar game, I would rather he gave the chance of a starting place to May and/or Russell to see what they can do (but I suspect Strachan will treat it the same way he treats any qualifier).

Re Rhodes, end of the day on form his scoring record is something we can not ignore and he should be in every squad..... at the moment though he is off form (by his standards) and would probably give him the chance to find his scoring boots again, then take it from there.

I agree with wanderer. I'd prefer seeing May and Russell given more of a chance now for us. Chris Martin has had his chances and failed to shine, Rhodes is not in the form to be given a chance to May and Russell come into the reckoning and both livened things up when they came on against England.

Rhodes isn't in form... But May is!?

They have the same goals this season with Rhodes playing a third less games

scored a few for us.

Rhodes against certain opposition is deadly - as he proved against Luxembourg (similar standard to Gibraltar) and also scored a good goal against Australia.

This is what I've been thinking. Rhodes seems to be the type of striker who could destroy significantly weaker teams; and Gibraltar are far worse than Luxembourg.

Rhodes isn't in form... But May is!?

They have the same goals this season with Rhodes playing a third less games

Fair enough but lets put it another way. May has had one brief chance for Scotland and did well so that merits another chance plus he offers something Rhodes doesn't......pace. Also, to me it seems clear, that Strachan doesn't rate Rhodes or that there has been a fall out between the two so Rhodes has to be eliminated from these type of conversations until things change.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

May has proved in Scotland that he has a eye for goal, and though maybe not fully settled into English football yet, I think its his pace that makes him more appealing to Strachan than Rhodes.

May gives Strachan another Nasmith type player, and though maybe not in contention to start any time soon, its someone who he can bring on for the last 10-20 minutes of a game to give the defenders of the other team the runaround.

May's suffering a bit from a lack of supply. Wednesday aren't the most creative side. I think he'll come good given a bit longer to adjust to the league and to get more players around him who can put him in on goal. His recent performance against Man City in the cup was certainly very encouraging, he caused them all kinds of problems with his workrate. Laid on a great goal as well.