Scotlands Diego Costa - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotlands Diego Costa

giblet

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the game time he's had for Scotland, lucky if it come to a game and half in total so still very early days for him at Int level - some of the critism seems a bit OTT. He's scoring record at club level deserves some credit - the same as Rhodes / May combined.

Granted he's not looked good in a Scotland shirt but maybe a goal or two against Gibraltar in March might be a turning point for him.

With the game time he's had for Scotland, lucky if it come to a game and half in total so still very early days for him at Int level - some of the critism seems a bit OTT. He's scoring record at club level deserves some credit - the same as Rhodes / May combined.

Granted he's not looked good in a Scotland shirt but maybe a goal or two against Gibraltar in March might be a turning point for him.

Agreed, I'm reading comments on here with complete bemusement. Every time I have watched Martin his first touch has been exceptional even in a crowded box surrounded by defenders.

The last time I watched him his touch to control the ball and beat his man all in one move then set up Russell to score was world class.

He hasn't had much time at international level and so can't really be judged yet.

He is playing in the same league as Rhodes, May and McCormack and doing better than any of them. When it comes to the likes of Gibraltar he is more likely to grab a few goals than those three and you can bet Strachan will already know that.

Rhodes lack of pace will probably see him get very very limited chances at international level or even in the Premiership.

Vs Gibraltar where a 5 or 6-0 win is required it's clear as day Rhodes, could score 3 or 4 in a game like that, should start - and with a more attacking formation also.

Martin not good enough, be surprised if he scored more than 5 goals in a full EPL season once they are promoted

Vs Gibraltar where a 5 or 6-0 win is required it's clear as day Rhodes, could score 3 or 4 in a game like that, should start - and with a more attacking formation also.

Martin not good enough, be surprised if he scored more than 5 goals in a full EPL season once they are promoted

Martin is out scoring Rhodes in the same division. I seriously doubt that Rhodes will ever be given the chance in the Premiership. Martin also creates an awful lot of chances. I'd be willing to bet that if both fit Rhodes isn't even in the squad and Martin will probably play some part. Rightly so too.

Martin is out scoring Rhodes in the same division. I seriously doubt that Rhodes will ever be given the chance in the Premiership. Martin also creates an awful lot of chances. I'd be willing to bet that if both fit Rhodes isn't even in the squad and Martin will probably play some part. Rightly so too.

You not seen Martin in a Scotland shirt!?

I have but he hasn't had enough time to settle. I'm sure he will get better. Rhodes however needs to up his game big time to get near the squad let alone the first team.

Martin is doing it consistently at club level so will always be ahead of Rhodes till that changes.

I have but he hasn't had enough time to settle. I'm sure he will get better. Rhodes however needs to up his game big time to get near the squad let alone the first team.

Martin is doing it consistently at club level so will always be ahead of Rhodes till that changes.

Apart from the fact that Rhodes has scored for Scotland and is clearly better than Martin at international level

Apart from the fact that Rhodes has scored for Scotland and is clearly better than Martin at international level

Well that's a matter of opinion and the only opinion that matters doesn't appear to agree with your opinion.

I don't think either are great international prospects but Martin is miles ahead of Rhodes in every part of his game and will be in the squad till someone better comes along.

Miles better is a complete exaggeration IMO especially when Rhodes has looked better than Martin at international level.

Martin in the brief time he's had in a Scotland shirt can barely do the basics, his movement is average, can't hold the ball up and falls over more than anything else. We've looked significantly weaker as a team when he's replaced Fletcher. Granted he might improve but can't see it on what I've seen so far.

At club level Martin is miles better. Rhodes has been off the pace for a while. Martin needs to transfer club form to international level, Rhodes has to improve club form to be considered. To me that makes Martin way out ahead of Rhodes for the up coming games.

I wouldn't have Martin anywhere near the squad based on his previous performances. It's been shown in the past with other players that scoring goals in the championship doesn't mean a player is good enough for international football. I suspect Martin will be like this.

Maybe so but Rhodes isn't even scoring in the championship so until we can find someone better then we will have to make do.

Players have to be picked on club form so Strachan will stick with Martin and so far he has shown that he can get players to perform for him once he has the time to work with them.

I'll take Strachan's judgement over yours.

Strachan on Martin a few months back.

'He's terrific. You just need to ask the midfielders who trained with him this week about how good it is to hit a striker when the ball stays with him, said the manager. He can see people. Hes a real good player.'

Personally I'm more worried about guys like Bannan continuing to be called up.

Edited by binobear

Personally I'm more worried about guys like Bannan continuing to be called up.

I don't worry about anyone Strachan calls up. He seems to know what players can offer the system he wants to play and he gets the best out of them. When Bannan has played he has put in a good shift. His problem now must surely be match fitness.

Maybe so but Rhodes isn't even scoring in the championship so until we can find someone better then we will have to make do.

Players have to be picked on club form so Strachan will stick with Martin and so far he has shown that he can get players to perform for him once he has the time to work with them.

I'll take Strachan's judgement over yours.

Haha I'm not asking you to take my judgement over Strachan's. I, like many fans just think Martin isn't good enough but time will tell.

You not seen Martin in a Scotland shirt!?

I have seen Rhodes in a Scotland shirt against Serbia away where he was asked to play a similar role that Martin was asked to play against England and Poland and he was equally as bad.

I think Martin deserves another chance in March

I have seen Rhodes in a Scotland shirt against Serbia away where he was asked to play a similar role that Martin was asked to play against England and Poland and he was equally as bad.

Must strongly disagree with you here.

I know we short of strikers but not for me nor Rhodes.

If we going to move forward we need decent strikers.

But...

Rhodes has looked good in other games and scored a few for us.

Martin has played 3 times now and looked horrific all times, missed a tap in and looks like he could play 20 matches and not score. Rhodes against certain opposition is deadly - as he proved against Luxembourg (similar standard to Gibraltar) and also scored a good goal against Australia.

Writing him off for one game against Serbia seems unfair given that Martin has had a few chances and been poor in them all when Rhodes has been good and bad with a good record in a Scotland shirt

Some folk are never happy. Rhodes has scored over 55 in 2 1/2 seasons at Blackburn. Martin seems to have got the better of him this season so far but we are only half way there. I hope both players go on and score another 30 each but this doesnt guarantee them a start with scotland v Gibraltar

But...

Rhodes has looked good in other games and scored a few for us.

Martin has played 3 times now and looked horrific all times, missed a tap in and looks like he could play 20 matches and not score. Rhodes against certain opposition is deadly - as he proved against Luxembourg (similar standard to Gibraltar) and also scored a good goal against Australia.

Writing him off for one game against Serbia seems unfair given that Martin has had a few chances and been poor in them all when Rhodes has been good and bad with a good record in a Scotland shirt

you really think we should start Rhodes against Gibraltar?

Rhodes has looked good in a couple of friendlies but in competitive games he certainly has not

Rhodes against certain opposition is deadly? they are playing against the same teams in the championship and Martin is scoring more this season.

Neither will start against Gibraltar anyway unless there are a few injuries

you really think we should start Rhodes against Gibraltar?

Rhodes has looked good in a couple of friendlies but in competitive games he certainly has not

Rhodes against certain opposition is deadly? they are playing against the same teams in the championship and Martin is scoring more this season.

Neither will start against Gibraltar anyway unless there are a few injuries

Yep - if it wasn't for Rhodes' goalscoring knack we would've lost or drawn away to Luxembourg.

I'm hardly saying he's the number 1 striker but the vast majority of fans would have Rhodes ahead of Martin any day

Yep - if it wasn't for Rhodes' goalscoring knack we would've lost or drawn away to Luxembourg.

I'm hardly saying he's the number 1 striker but the vast majority of fans would have Rhodes ahead of Martin any day

How sad we are talking about these players as internationals, all the three mentioned here are not !!!