Scotland Must Leave 18 September Behind - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Must Leave 18 September Behind

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1There is no 45... It provides no pathway to a Yes majority...

2There is a propensity to believe that Yes speaks for Scotland, missing that No won...

3The pro-Union majority did not vote out of selfishness, false consciousness or other reasons which can be dismissed.

4The Union case did not win just because of middle-class Scotland.

5The notion that Yes won working class Scotland is far too simple to be true and as problematic as placing middle class opinion completely in the No camp.

6Related to the above is the oft-repeated point that Yes won the Labour heartlands. This is wrong on both counts...develop a serious strategy towards Labour voters.

7Another powerful myth has been that the Yes vote was more mobilised than No.

8The mobilisation of No was about much more than Project Fear, the Vow and Gordon Brown’s late interventions.

9There are many different political communities in Scotland with numerous faultlines and divisions.

10Large parts of Yes did not really understand No.

11Yes and No are over.

12There can be no real Yes Alliance.

I'd agree with point 1 in the sense that there needs to be an inclusivity towards the idea of independence, if we are going to get it next time.

most of it pish and wind though.

hard truths for unionists.

1 nationalism didn't die post indy ref, it has gained leverage. telling people to move on and get over it is crass, undemocratic and frankly the behaviour of a delusional person

2 the unionists have to win the referendum everytime. yes only has to win once, and by 0.1 of a percentage. no amount of "political fault lines" or nitpicking over who won what vote will change that.

2There is a propensity to believe that Yes speaks for Scotland, missing that No won...

3The pro-Union majority did not vote out of selfishness, false consciousness or other reasons which can be dismissed.

5The notion that Yes won working class Scotland is far too simple to be true and as problematic as placing middle class opinion completely in the No camp.

6Related to the above is the oft-repeated point that Yes won the Labour heartlands. This is wrong on both counts...develop a serious strategy towards Labour voters.

8The mobilisation of No was about much more than Project Fear, the Vow and Gordon Brown’s late interventions.

9There are many different political communities in Scotland with numerous faultlines and divisions.

11Yes and No are over.

Bolded the bits I agree with.

11Yes and No are over.

I bolded the bits I agree with too.

Edited by ek_celt

This is the bit I still can't get my head around. British nationalist old school Tories, I can understand their motivation. Reluctant 'soft nos' who think independence would be nice, but unaffordable, I can understand. But what percentage of no voters was this?

And people like my parents, Scottish through and through but who in revel in talk of how shite Scotland is, how useless it would be without England, how they would move to England with independence, I have to admit this blows my mind and I can't get to the bottom of it.

The Working Class were also YES, although there is a large Orange working class who voted NO, obvious reasons here, but no mention of this.

There were plenty... Thousands even, perhaps hundreds of thousands of working class who voted No with no connection to the Orange Order. To believe otherwise is extremely Naive.

11Yes and No are over.

2) So, if - by his logic - Yes does not speak for Scotland, then No does? The correct conclusion is that 45% of those who voted Yes voted for independence. That is all that can be claimed. Never heard any Yes voter claim they speak for Scotland. Stop making it up, Gerry..

3) Again that's too simple a conclusion. Many may have voted No for selfish reasons - he can't know that without speaking to them all individually. While respecting people's reasons for voting No, you have to wonder how many who did ever got beyond fear (most humans' default position) and seriously looked into the arguments for and against. Again, we can't know the answer to that.

11) Nah, as long as the issue remains independence or Union, then Yes and No will continue in some form.

There were plenty... Thousands even, perhaps hundreds of thousands of working class who voted No with no connection to the Orange Order. To believe otherwise is extremely Naive.

no connection but similar reasons for voting no.

Being a cúnt or being thick is a bit like being in the Orange Order

Edited by brant grebner

I don't doubt that, but the Orange vote was around 150,000, mostly working class, it only needed 192000 votes to swing the other way..... so Orangeism played a massive part,

no connection but similar reasons for voting no.

Being a cúnt or being thick is a bit like being in the Orange Order

:lol:

They'll be swayed by that argument.

If you want my tuppence (which many of you won't), parts of the Yes campaign did not do enough to engage with the working class. In my experience the No voters who were open to be convinced far outnumber the ones who were too Naive, uninformed, or did so out of prejudice... But maybe I just know brighter people than most :wink2:

I don't doubt that, but the Orange vote was around 150,000, mostly working class, it only needed 192000 votes to swing the other way..... so Orangeism played a massive part,

Really ??? The OO has 150000 active members or supporters in Scotland ? 3% or so of the entire Scottish population involved in the OO. I would doubt that very much.

Since we are blocking up sections of scottish society there is an elephant in the room:

The English vote. Its never really mentioned but its a very large number. I know some english folk that voted yes but they would be vastly outnumbered by No.

Not sure how this group can be persuaded to come onboard the happy bus next time.

Edited by johnnie x