Happy St Andrew's Day - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Happy St Andrew's Day

Poland celebrate St.Andrew's day more than we do in Scotland... they have heard of St.Patrick's day, but don't care about it.

I can vouch for the celebration... woke up wearing a St.Andrew's Cross and nothing else. No idea how I got it, or how I got home.

One tradition they have is to melt candle wax in a pot, then pour some of it through a key into another pot with water. Once it is hardened again, take it out and let it cast a shadow and see what it 'says'.

Having a couple of Ukrainian beers tonight for a smaller celebration.

Do you think if we had independence we would have a public holiday on St Andrews day ?

Almost certainly. Scottish Government staff already do.

I think Rabbie Burns birthday should also be a public holiday; people getting smashed and reading poetry would do wonders for the post-Christmas economy. :)

Well, the signatories of the Declaration of Arbroath knew their bible stories and very much played on St Andrew in their appeal to the Pope.

I reckon Elvis has more relevance to Scotland. At least he set foot in the place, and I'm sure a talk on Elvis would be much more interesting.