Im Confused - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Im Confused

deso1

I know there was a big gulf between the two perfomances last night, but I keep reading/hearing people saying we were outclassed.........

England are an unproven side, with fringe/young players throughout their team, they couldn't win a game in brazil.

Our players play in the same league as theirs.

We played the world champs not so long ago, and weren't outclassed.............

So how could we be outclassed by them????

Sorry, we got out played, out fought and out performed, but never out classed.

I know there was a big gulf between the two perfomances last night, but I keep reading/hearing people saying we were outclassed.........

England are an unproven side, with fringe/young players throughout their team, they couldn't win a game in brazil.

Our players play in the same league as theirs.

We played the world champs not so long ago, and weren't outclassed.............

So how could we be outclassed by them????

Sorry, we got out played, out fought and out performed, but never out classed.

Simple - we played below ourselves and they played perhaps their best game for some time hence the result we got.

For us to get a result we were always going to have to have good performances throughout our side but last night the opposite happened. Brown had a stinker, Mulgrew ineffectual, Naismith was poor as were others. No way you will beat a half-decent international side like that.

I think it was more that we dropped our performance level than England raised theirs. England were actually quite wasteful in possession for periods of the game and actually quite sloopy - had they been playing a better team or the Scotland team we've seen in other qualifying performances, we'd have given them a better game.

But their was no doubting, their touch, passing, movement off the ball, tempo was considerably better than ours. Whether you want to describe that as us playing badly, them playing great, or us being outclassed, it doesn't really matter. Man for man, they played better than us.

And I encourage everyone to read over the squad lists in the program, specifically the clubs both sets of players play for. I don't think it's unreasonable to describe the England players of being a class above us. Doesn't always make for a good team, but you have to match them in energy and application and we didnt appear to have either last night.

I think it was more that we dropped our performance level than England raised theirs. England were actually quite wasteful in possession for periods of the game and actually quite sloopy - had they been playing a better team or the Scotland team we've seen in other qualifying performances, we'd have given them a better game.

But their was no doubting, their touch, passing, movement off the ball, tempo was considerably better than ours. Whether you want to describe that as us playing badly, them playing great, or us being outclassed, it doesn't really matter. Man for man, they played better than us.

And I encourage everyone to read over the squad lists in the program, specifically the clubs both sets of players play for. I don't think it's unreasonable to describe the England players of being a class above us. Doesn't always make for a good team, but you have to match them in energy and application and we didnt appear to have either last night.

Yes I cannot argue with that Auld Reekie.

England raised their game and put in their best performance for a while, if they had played with that energy in the World Cup they might have got out of their group.

We played poorly by our recent standards. They seemed sharper and faster, partly due to the recent matches and groups we're in. With hindsight we maybe should have played a different formation and personnel. Easy to say with hindsight.

I don't buy into this "they're untouchable EPL superstars" self-loathing. They played very well, we didn't, simple. I've seen England struggle to break down lesser teams than us on TV to know their usual level, they surpassed it last night.

Last night showed our lack of pace. Only Robertson and Anya are what you'd call quick and, lets be honest, Anya isn't a great player (although I still like him a lot).

Anya is limited but his pace (and work ethic) gives him such as advantage at this level that he can play above his ability.

We could do with a few of our pacier options forcing their way into the team. I'm looking at Forrest, Russell, Griffiths and maybe Watt.

Agree with OP. If we didn't have such a battle of a game on the Friday it would have been different. Maybe the boss showed a bit too much loyalty to the guys that done so well at the weekend, difficult decision right enough. Bit of inexperience by Robertson not going behind Hanley to cover him for 1st and he was unlucky for the pinball 2nd goal. Mulgrews unnecessary tackle where the second goal came from and him aimlessly jogging around in the box for their 3rd I'll put down to tiredness seeing I'm feeling kind.

Think England would be in a similar position points wise if they were in our group and would probably be happy with it.

Edited by Och Aye