Is Scotland A Good Away Trip - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Scotland A Good Away Trip

Slide tackle

No it's not true.

There are some places that won't let you in if you're in colours, or in a couple of examples, even wearing a kilt. Walkabout was infamous for it, and I remember being knocked back from Revolution as well. Most places are fine though.

I love Glasgow. Every game's an away game for me, living down south now, but there's not many places that can compare with Glasgow for pubs/clubs/restaurants. There's also plenty of tourist stuff to do, most of which comes as a surprise to folk who just take the city at face value.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the whole not wearing colours in the city centre thing true?

You'd never have a rule like that in Dublin on matchday

I'd say the majority of nightclubs in the centre of town would be fussy and on a Friday night they can afford to be. The exception would be Campus on Sauchiehall Street who are expecting folk that have been to the game - as well as folk that haven't.

Most nightclub management don't distinguish between club football and the international games.

I'd say the majority of nightclubs in the centre of town would be fussy and on a Friday night they can afford to be. The exception would be Campus on Sauchiehall Street who are expecting folk that have been to the game - as well as folk that haven't.

Most nightclub management don't distinguish between club football and the international games.

To be fair the state many get into going to a game it's hardly unfair on them to generalise.

Being from glasgow and working in the city perhaps makes me not appreciate it but it has made massive improvements in the last 10 years and I've yet to meet someone who has came to glasgow and been disappointed. Most love it.

I have to say I far prefer Edinburgh but it's probably just a change of scenery that causes that. It's a decent with some decent bars and cracking restaurants and a YES city so it's not all bad.

I actually enjoy the home games away from Glasgow more than the actual games in Glasgow more now.

Games in Aberdeen are always a good laugh, the New Zealand game at Tynecastle years ago was a smashing day out and Australia at Easter Road was a top day :ok:

Even the Sweden humping was a magic day out (up to the game) as we just sat in Da Da Da Bar all day drinking Estonian beer :-))

Edited by wanderer

Glasgow city centre bar scene has improved greatly over the last few years, considering it used to be very poor with only a hand full of good bars and everyone heading out to the west end... seems to be that the city centre has started to take most of this back.

Enjoyed the new Yes Bar as well as Slouch, Hootenanny, Lucky 7,and Bar 10 added to my list of drinking dens when out in Glasgow/Match day, rather than just usual Horseshoe, Iron Horse, Shed...match...back to Iron Horse etc....

But most of these are bars that you either know through word of mouth, and if you are a away fan, either you will stumble on the Horseshoe or will find your way to the Iron Horse.

either you will stumble on the Horseshoe

You'll get it from almost any tour guide.

Scotland has got to be the only place in the world where wearing a kilt can be a problem. That whole mentality was summed up perfectly on September the 18th. I always wear jeans and a discrete coverable Scotland top at games in Glasgow.

Scotland has got to be the only place in the world where wearing a kilt can be a problem. That whole mentality was summed up perfectly on September the 18th. I always wear jeans and a discrete coverable Scotland top at games in Glasgow.

Same, I either wear a t-shirt or jumper under my Scotland top at the game then afterwards I swap it around.

True, but most the time its a case of they will be exiting Central Station and ask first person they see where they can find a bar.

Number of times I am out in Glasgow walking near by and get stopped by a Geordie or Scouser asking for a pub near by to watch a game on Sky that day... usually you get a blank look when trying to direct them to somewhere good, so usually for ease you just point them in the direction of the Horseshoe.

True, but most the time its a case of they will be exiting Central Station and ask first person they see where they can find a bar.

Number of times I am out in Glasgow walking near by and get stopped by a Geordie or Scouser asking for a pub near by to watch a game on Sky that day... usually you get a blank look when trying to direct them to somewhere good, so usually for ease you just point them in the direction of the Horseshoe.

You can't move in Glasgow for pubs showing football.

I stay here, have done for years and a tourist has never asked me for directions for a pub showing sky!

You can't move in Glasgow for pubs showing football.

I stay here, have done for years and a tourist has never asked me for directions for a pub showing sky!

No denying that.... Personally I prefer pubs not showing live sports....

Maybe I just have that look about me ;-) best one was a old German Couple asking if I knew a good whisky bar......