Munich Travel advice - Page 3 - Scotland v Germany - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Munich Travel advice

Jacob

10 minutes ago, Broath Boy said:

This is my own personal thought, if you buy now you get the choice of all trains on that day although about 15-30 Euro dearer, come January 17th there will be a mad scramble for those tickets as UEFA have said their is limited availability also there will be limited trains to pick from as people buying tickets now will have snapped up all the decent timed trains.

Fair enough. Though hopefully Germany will live up to expectations regarding travel infrastructure and have adequate amount of trains etc. They obviously know that there will be a good percentage of Scotland fans moving from Munich onto Cologne and then from Cologne to Stuttgart. Would look pretty poor if they couldn't provide the transport required to move us about the country. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Is there any real reason why folk are buying train tickets just now and not waiting for the January 17th release of cheap tickets.Not trying to be funny but just wondering if i am missing something.Cheers.

My thoughts are. There are a lot of eye watering fares on some of the routes I’ve looked at around game days. The whole German rail system seems to work on looking at potential demand and days of travel. Eg Fridays look dearer than other days throughout the whole year. So day of travel could skew your price. Also if you’ve already got at least 25,000 Scotland fans all looking to get from Munich to Cologne between games in addition to normal travellers, there is no way that everyone will get on trains at the times and/or at the cheap prices that everyone would like. Some of the fares released so far are also in to the €29 and €39 price ranges. So why not buy? In addition only 2 tickets can be bought with each match ticket and you get automatic seat reservations with these. (The tickets I’ve bought in the last week with automatic reservations don’t allow you to choose your seats but allocate you an unchangeable seat). It may then be a bit more hassle for bigger groups to get organised to buy tickets and also to get everyone to sit together on the train  unless the system allows  you to book multiple Euro 2024 train tickets together in one transaction and/or allow you to choose seats. 

Also, let's not forget that these cheap tickets are not just for Scotland fans. All participating nations fans and ballot ticket holders will have access to these tickets (how many will that be travelling around the country?). Granted, we will all be travelling to different destinations on different dates, but there will definitely be some overlapping of fan travel. People will be travelling from all over the country especially if they are basing themselves in one location for the duration.

Just bought 2 tickets from Bonn Hbf to Ludswigsburg on 21st June, 90 Euro for 1st class including seat reservation (dep 11:38). All bigger journey train tickets now purchased. Have also booked a wee return day trip from Bonn to Koblenz on the 20th. All other travel should be local and travel pass should cover it. Plans coming together. What with Xmas and Germany plans I don't think I've ever spent as much in a period of a few weeks but it'll all be worth it. Merry Christmas to all 🎅 🎄 

23 minutes ago, p gala ta said:

When I book the train tickets if I don’t pay extra to reserve a seat will Bahn still allocate me a seat ?

I’m sure someone else will confirm, but I think the answer is ‘no’. While you will be entitled to travel on the train, you will not be 100% guaranteed a seat. 

36 minutes ago, p gala ta said:

When I book the train tickets if I don’t pay extra to reserve a seat will Bahn still allocate me a seat ?

Book the seat when it prompts you.

But if you miss it (like I did on my 2nd train booking) you can still reserve your seat separately.

Alternatively, don't bother and just head for the buffet car.

7 hours ago, LoganRoy said:

No you'll need to find an unreserved space. 

No need to book a seat unless you are a bigger group and want to sit together. I travel with Deutsche Bahn frequently. Even in packed ICEs you usually find a spare unreserved seat. Worst case you can go to the board bistro and have a pint and seat there.

Think I posted this elsewhere but if you are using the trains look at buying a trial bahn card 25 or 50 card which gives 25% or 50% off. you can get one valid for three months but you need to remember to cancel it within (I think) four weeks of using it other wise it reverts to an annual card. Worked out a lot cheaper for us than rail passes. 2nd class card is €20 1st class is €40. We went for the 25. Just be careful when you are booking as you need to indicate you have the card under the passenger/person travelling bit but after that it's a synch.     

I'm about to book Stuttgart to Munich on the 14th - we fly into Stuttgart about 11, so looking at a ~1.30 train. If we book cheapest tickets (for a specific train), but our flight is delayed, will they let us on a later one? Or will we need to buy extra tickets on the day (if available 😬)

2 hours ago, Wee Dave said:

I'm about to book Stuttgart to Munich on the 14th - we fly into Stuttgart about 11, so looking at a ~1.30 train. If we book cheapest tickets (for a specific train), but our flight is delayed, will they let us on a later one? Or will we need to buy extra tickets on the day (if available 😬)

You'll need to buy new tickets, which on the day could be expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 10:26 PM, Rich NATA said:

Book the seat when it prompts you.

But if you miss it (like I did on my 2nd train booking) you can still reserve your seat separately.

Alternatively, don't bother and just head for the buffet car.

https://int.bahn.de/en/buchung/start?intern=1#?STS=true&AR=true&VM=00,01,02

Let's you reserve a seat after booking ticket. Posted on the Switzerland game page and I've just used it myself so it works.

• 4 weeks later...

Me n my mate going from Edinburgh via Paris booked it a while back on the Thursday, £400 each to Munich n got digs for £300 each in nice hotel 15km from city centre, train 2 minute walk from digs into centre, just staying 4 days in Munich so didn’t bother about other games and hassle of transport, tickets to opening game purchased, work won’t allow weeks away I’m afraid!

canny wait.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 9:26 PM, dougiemacfarlanearran said:

Me n my mate going from Edinburgh via Paris booked it a while back on the Thursday, £400 each to Munich n got digs for £300 each in nice hotel 15km from city centre, train 2 minute walk from digs into centre, just staying 4 days in Munich so didn’t bother about other games and hassle of transport, tickets to opening game purchased, work won’t allow weeks away I’m afraid!

canny wait.

We’re flying from Manchester to Paris on the 12th and then getting a train down to Munich overnight. 

Edited by SteveHFC

On 2/6/2024 at 9:26 PM, dougiemacfarlanearran said:

canny wait.

You & your mate might be on the same flight as me and my dad as we are also on the from Edinburgh via Paris flight on the Thursday as well.

0600 (EDI) - 0850 (CDG)

1305 (CDG) - 14:40 (MUC)

Edited by DesiScotsman

On 2/28/2024 at 11:53 AM, DesiScotsman said:

You & your mate might be on the same flight as me and my dad as we are also on the from Edinburgh via Paris flight on the Thursday as well.

0600 (EDI) - 0850 (CDG)

1305 (CDG) - 14:40 (MUC)

about 15 of us also on that Edinburgh to Paris flight then the 12:10 flight from Paris to Munich

On 3/4/2024 at 1:58 PM, glasgow jock said:

about 15 of us also on that Edinburgh to Paris flight then the 12:10 flight from Paris to Munich

Is your 12:10 flight from Paris to Munich that day flying via AirFrance?

Mines from Paris was originally meant to be at 10:45 but they have put on the 13:05 instead.

Edited by DesiScotsman

Staying in Augsburg , and wondering whether to head back after the match or stay a couple of hours in Munich.

Trains seem to be filling up and prices have gone up from €10 to €20 on some trains, this will probably double again nearer matchday. 

58 minutes ago, stirlish said:

Staying in Augsburg , and wondering whether to head back after the match or stay a couple of hours in Munich.

Trains seem to be filling up and prices have gone up from €10 to €20 on some trains, this will probably double again nearer matchday. 

We’ve booked the 01.29 back. There’s a couple just after midnight but with game not finishing until around 11pm they will be difficult to catch 

21 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

Is your 12:10 flight from Paris to Munich that day flying via AirFrance?

Mines from Paris was originally meant to be at 10:45 but they have put on the 13:05 instead.

12:10 flight is with Lufthansa