Confirmed Pots, with FIFA Rankings - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Confirmed Pots, with FIFA Rankings

Ray

Pot 1

Germany(16)
Portugal (6)
France (2)
England (4)
Belgium (5)
Spain (8)

Pot 2

Turkey (38)
Denmark (19)
Hungary (30)
Albania (59)
Romania (48)
Austria (25)

Pot 3

Scotland (34)
Netherlands (7)
Croatia (10)
Czech Republic (41)
Slovakia (50)
Slovenia (54)

Pot 4

Switzerland (14)
Italy (9)
Serbia (29)
Playoff winners A - Wales (28), Poland (31), Estonia (118), one team to be drawn from Finland (62), Ukraine (22), Iceland (67)
Playoff winners B - Israel (71), Bosnia (63), two teams to be drawn from Finland (62), Ukraine (22), Iceland (67)
Playoff winners C - Georgia (76), Luxembourg (87), Greece (51), Kazakhstan (98)

Confident heading into the tournament, whoever we draw, but there are definitely some outcomes that would be preferred over others.... 

Group of Death

France
Denmark
Scotland
Italy

Possible favourable draw

Germany
Albania
Scotland
Playoff Winner C

Not really any teams in Pot 1 that could be considered an easier option, but would prefer Germany because they are hosts, and being involved in the opening game could be good. 

Germany - Could potentially upset the odds against them, not done well in tournaments lately, but home advantage could change that.

Portugal - Qualifiers: Played 10, Won 10. 

France - They are likely favourites to win the tournament. Can't see us getting anything against them. 

England - Could make for a great game, but rather not play them again.

Belgium - Golden generation getting older, but class players such as Doku emerging. Wouldn't expect to get a result, but would prefer them to France / Portugal. 

Spain - Think we can't draw them due to qualifying together? 

21 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I don't believe there's a rule in place to stop that 🤔

Yeah, have read through the draw procedure now, and it looks like we could wind up in a group with Spain and Georgia. 😂

On 11/22/2023 at 3:30 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

I would actually take Spain over France, England and Portugal. We have shown we can get a result against them. 

Agree. Spain are eminently beatable, France look a different class. Portugal flying high. England, I don’t want the aggro.

So that leaves

Belgium, star is waning.

Germany, get them first game, cause an upset.

My pot 1 order is

Belgium

Spain

Germany

Portugal

France

England

Thing is, pot one won’t be where we decide last 16 or not. It will be getting a decent 2 and 4.

We have to avoid Italy in pot 4, that would be a disaster. 

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

On 11/22/2023 at 9:56 AM, Fairbairn said:

Think I'd rather have Germany or Belgium from Pot 1.  Portugal are flying at the moment.

Not sure with the group Portugal had in qualifying how good they are.I know you can only beat the teams in front of you but their group was one of the easiest i have seen.It really was.

On 11/22/2023 at 1:22 AM, Ally Bongo said:

Best Draw

Portugal

Austria

Scotland

Serbia

Worst Draw

England/France

Albania/Turkey

Scotland

Italy

How is Albania worst? They are pish. Had the easiest group in Euro qualification history. We skudded them 0-4 only a few years ago. Worse ranked team in pot 2.