First time solo traveller. Travel plans? - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First time solo traveller. Travel plans?

KieranSangster

Edinburgh - Antalya - Tbilisi on the Wednesday, leave at 8.30 and land at 3.15 with 7 hours in Antalya. 

Tbilisi - Athens - Birmingham - Edinburgh on the Saturday. Leave Tbilisi at 5.40, landing in Edinburgh at 15.45. 2 hours in Athens and around 3 in Birmingham. 

4 of us doing that, think it came to just under £300 but can’t actually remember for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ev1509 said:

Does anyone know where you can exchange £ for GEL?

Just take English notes and do it in Tbilisi if you must exchange money. If you do manage to find someone here, which would be hard, the exchange rate would be pish.

3 hours ago, kumnio said:

Just take English notes and do it in Tbilisi if you must exchange money. If you do manage to find someone here, which would be hard, the exchange rate would be pish.

First time “Georgia 1” we exchanged money in a gun shop! Full military section sub machine guns etc. Owner took our Scottish notes and gave us a better exchange rate than English ones!!! Think Tbilisi moved on a bit in that 16 year period!!!!!

7 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Ive been back a few times since we first played there, its an a very different country these days.

Much less Russian, and much more European, although its still a lovely place to visit.

I never attended the first match, but my pals did. When we were all there for the second match, they said Tbilisi had lost its edge since the first visit. That wasn't a criticism as such; just an observation.

Whatever I expected Tbilisi to be, it was absolutely NOTHING like that.

IIRC, it felt almost Mediterranean.

Like you say, it's a lovely place. It's also one of the safest-feeling places I've ever been.

30 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Like you say, it's a lovely place. It's also one of the safest-feeling places I've ever been.

No North Africans ..

On 10/26/2023 at 11:58 PM, Rich NATA said:

I never attended the first match, but my pals did. When we were all there for the second match, they said Tbilisi had lost its edge since the first visit. That wasn't a criticism as such; just an observation.

Whatever I expected Tbilisi to be, it was absolutely NOTHING like that.

IIRC, it felt almost Mediterranean.

It used to be part of the Iberian empire which left a strong influence. Went on city tour in April and the guide said that being on the Silk Road they claim they had over 100 nationalities living there in the 11th century.