Scottish keeper greatest save ever !!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish keeper greatest save ever !!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Big Ramy 1314

I remember the Craig Gordon one for Sunderland, but if we are allowed to pick a club save......

Ally Maxwell v Maurice Malpas, extra time in the 1991 Scottish Cup Final.

"Remarkable save under any circumstance, but with those injuries, absolutely incredible"

On 9/15/2023 at 4:55 AM, wanderer said:

A game very few have probably seen, but he talks about it quite a lot as his real best game for Scotland and probably also his best save, was Jim Leighton v Russia in Moscow in 1995

1:20 save i would think ? rest he seems to gather comfortably with both hands ; routine saves

i had it in my head tom boyd was clean thro on goal ; but not that clear cut as it turns out

should duncan shearer have been at Euro 96 ? - too similar to gordon durie ??

8 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

1:20 save i would think ? rest he seems to gather comfortably with both hands ; routine saves

i had it in my head tom boyd was clean thro on goal ; but not that clear cut as it turns out

should duncan shearer have been at Euro 96 ? - too similar to gordon durie ??

The save from the free-kick just before it is also quite something, but he certainly does keep us in that match based on that viewing.

Shearer was effectively injured a lot between 94 and 95, and was in and out the Dons team quite a bit under Aitken.

He was probably at his peak around 92-93, but never really grabbed his chance with Scotland, and do not think he showed anywhere near enough form across 95-96 to get a spot in the Euros squad.

Given the level we operate at we've needed to have good keepers over the years and we really have, Jim Leighton was the first keeper I really looked up to (as a kid a wrongly thought Alan Rough was rubbish) but for me Craig Gordon has been the best keeper I've ever seen, the English harp on about Banks's save v Brazil in 1970, IMO a lucky and mediocre save blown out of all proportion by the worlds best self promotionists. I've seen Craig Gordon make better saves regularly, multiple times in the same game even. Andy Goram, a top class keeper, he was outstanding in 96 v Netherlands.. 

But the 1 save for me is David Marshall v Serbia for VERY obvious reasons! 

Edited by Bzzzz