Selling a House, Home Report etc - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Selling a House, Home Report etc

About to be going through this process pretty soon. Living in Scotland. Have any of you legends sold a house here before? Any recommendations for decent agents to use or who to go with for the home report etc.

This is my first time doing this so no sure how it all works at all. Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

About to be going through this process pretty soon. Living in Scotland. Have any of you legends sold a house here before? Any recommendations for decent agents to use or who to go with for the home report etc.

This is my first time doing this so no sure how it all works at all. Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Morrie.  I put my flat on the market two weeks ago.  Went with Purple Bricks they were ok.  The home report cost £600 and is only valid for 12 weeks.  Then you need to renew it if not sold within that time,  The total cost was £1500 including photos and advertising on Zoopla etc.  Anyway I decided last week not to sell.  But still have to pay the home report and photographer costs.  Mines is only a flat so don't know if a house is dearer.  Give your local agent a call.  I had offers coming in straight away.  Because I live next to a beach.  But like everything else shop around.

I haven’t sold a house for long time but my daughter sold a flat about 10 months ago. She went with a small local company but regretted it. She thought they would give her a more bespoke service but they were actually pretty inefficient.

In terms of advertising there will be absolutely no difference between any of the agents. They all just stick it on Rightmove and S1 homes. And that is exactly where all buyers go to look. 
A few months ago I don’t think it would have mattered who you went with there were buyers galore. But things are drying up with the interest rate situation so definitely shop around and ask them how they differentiate from other agents. I imagine home report prices will all be pretty similar as they should be transparent. 

Sorry cant be more help than that. 

Morrie pal, I have sold 2 houses in the past 15 years. I'm sure it's different over in Scotland, but if I may I will give you some advice that may be helpful..

Pick an agent that will only show your home to serious folk interested in buying. Have then run a credit check to see if they are even eligible. We had folk coming through our home everyday not even interested in buying it, just wanting to see it and compare to other homes on the market. It's a waste of time for you and your agent. The quicker you sell your home, the better it is, a home on the market a long time is not appealing to buyers...

Don't spend to much money painting and decorating. Chances are the new buyers will want to paint it anyway. Waste of money...

Always take your first good concrete offer, you may not get another..

Just offering advice mate, as I learned the hard way. Best of luck pal with selling your home....

Ramy....

5 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Cheers.

Ask the agent if they have kept a client list - good agents will have a list of names looking for your type of property. Home reports are valid for 12 weeks, to refresh the report after expiry will cost around £100 to £150 but you should only have to do this once for your buyer if the report does actually expire. 

Personally I would get a few agents round - Local and the bigger ones like Purplebricks although I would avoid Purplebricks for now, all or most of their staff are currently under notice of redundancy after they were bought by Strike, another online agent. Strike are terrible. 

Not sure where you're based but if it's the west of Scotland I'd say avoid Pattison and Co.  I tried to sell my flat with them a few years ago and they were awful.  Really basic things like me having to point out spelling and grammar mistakes in the schedule to them (and them not seeming to understand why they were an issue) to their general lack of any sort of drive to sell the property.  They were so inept they didn't even chase me for the fee I owed them for breaking the contract when I decided to take it off the market!

Thanks to all for the replies so far. This is all very helpful information. Plenty to consider. I did not know the home report only remains valid for a 12 week cycle. And with the market slowing down some, that could be a factor. So thanks again. 

• 4 months later...

In case anyone wanted to know how this concluded................................

Based on feedback from a few locals we went with Clyde Property to sell our old house. I have to say they were excellent. Dynamic and aggressive in marketing the house and they had a good client list. The house sold 6 days after it went on sale at the end of July.

August was crap in terms of finding a place to buy. Nothing suitable was on the market in our area - we were kind of limited due to the wife being stubborn over school catchment area, but that's another story - we saw some properties which all had too many drawbacks to make putting in an offer viable.

Finally, September came round and a suitable house which ticked all the boxes for us became available. Our offer was accepted. The couple who were moving out were going to a new build and had an entry date of Nov 20. That suited us fine and our buyer seemed happy with the arrangement too........ Until he wasn't.

In the middle of October, with things seemingly all in place, the prick, out of the blue, instructed his solicitor to inform us he was withdrawing. So now mega stress. Could we sell our house again, would we be able to maintain our purchase of the new house? The people we had bought from gave us one week, per advice from their solicitor, and luckily we managed to find another buyer for our place within this time frame. Again credit to Clyde Property - they were superb during this period.

So all in we moved on November 20 and are settling in to the new place. Thanks again to everyone who added to this thread back in July when I asked the original question.

TLDR: basically if you are selling a house and Clyde Property have an office in your area, use them. We were very pleased with the service from the Stirling office.

Jeezo that must have been a nightmare at the time but really glad to hear everything worked out okay , and great recommendation for Clyde Property 👍

We had a horrible situation moving to the house we were in now. We had a buyer for the house we were selling and a house to move to. Everything was signed and the buyer of our house found out the day before we were moving that the buyer of their house hadn’t secured a mortgage! The bloody day before. We had to cancel removal company , call insurance co, phone company, gas and electric, loads of folk. Thankfully they got a mortgage and we moved 2 weeks later but it was horrendous as we really thought we were going to start from scratch for a buyer.. I wasn’t going to tell you that though just as you were entering into a property search ! 

I hope you have many happy years in your new home. I will be looking out for your entry in the xmas tree thread in a couple of weeks ! 😁

Thanks TDYER - what a nightmare you had with that also. It just shows you, in the moving process the chain can break at any point and it affects so many parties.

Thankfully it resolved for you in a reasonable time frame. Moving house though...... Why does anyone do it 😂