World Rankings.....🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Rankings.....🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Big Ramy 1314

1 minute ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

I got this off Wiki:

• Group stage: Twelve groups of four or five teams. Group winners will qualify for the World Cup finals.
  • Play-off stage: 16 teams (twelve group runners-up and four best Nations League group winners, based on the Nations League overall ranking, that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group) will be drawn into four play-off paths, playing two rounds of single-match playoffs (semi-finals with the seeded teams to host, followed by finals, with the home teams to be drawn). The four path winners will qualify for the World Cup finals.

Aye, I think that is probably what will happen. I saw it in a press release by EUFA, but at that time it was still a proposal. I'm not sure if it's been fully agreed yet?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

I got this off Wiki:

• Group stage: Twelve groups of four or five teams. Group winners will qualify for the World Cup finals.
  • Play-off stage: 16 teams (twelve group runners-up and four best Nations League group winners, based on the Nations League overall ranking, that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group) will be drawn into four play-off paths, playing two rounds of single-match playoffs (semi-finals with the seeded teams to host, followed by finals, with the home teams to be drawn). The four path winners will qualify for the World Cup finals.

So the nations league group winners that qualify the for single match play offs could include some total dross

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So the nations league group winners that qualify the for single match play offs could include some total dross

Aye, just like how we managed to qualify for EURO2020. 

They would still have win two single leg playoff matches, just like we did.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, just like how we managed to qualify for EURO2020. 

They would still have win two single leg playoff matches, just like we did.

It's 16 teams rather than 24 though.

I thought it would be the top teams by league position ie teams who hadn't qualified for playoffs in Group 1 then Group 2.

Guess it gives the likes of Israel or Armenia a chance.

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

So an outside chance of us being a pot 1 team?

Unlikely I’d say but you never know. We’d need to keep our winning run going and have a decent run at the finals next summer to have a chance I think.

I hate to repeat myself.... but I got the information from the UEFA statement. 4 of the slots go to best ranked in the next Nations League 

On 7/22/2023 at 4:36 PM, GLOSTA said:

Not been published yet, although the format has. One huge change is an increase to 16 teams from Europe and 4 of them will be the ones best ranked in the next Nations League.

Cannot see why anyone doubts value of Nations League anymore.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/027d-1727b3b1e199-61019185e2c8-1000/

Matches for WC2026 qualifiers don’t start until March 2025, so draw probably winter 2024.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Play off slots, could end up with an up and coming nation like Andorra in the playoffs by my interpretation, sorry Hibees. 

I’m sure someone was saying earlier that 4 of the 16 World Cup finals places were available via the nations league which clearly won’t be the case. 

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m sure someone was saying earlier that 4 of the 16 World Cup finals places were available via the nations league which clearly won’t be the case. 

I don't think anybody has said that. Plenty of folk have said that 4 of the 16 playoff spots will be allocated via the Nations League, though.

2 hours ago, GLOSTA said:

4 of the 16 places for WC 2026 is how I read UEFA statement

I don’t think so mate. Maybe 4 of the playoff places?

I too could be wrong though so feel free to provide a screenshot of where it states that as it would be interesting if that was the case. It would mean nothing was available for finishing second in your group. 

Edited by Texas Pete

37 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, he has said it now, but it's just nonsense. Looks like he didn't read the link that he posted himself? 🤣

He said it earlier as well. Or somebody else did. That’s where I got it from. Not that it matters. 

I’m not sure if I like the sound of any of these changes at all but then I’m just a grumpy old man who doesn’t like change. 

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He said it earlier as well. Or somebody else did. That’s where I got it from. Not that it matters. 

I’m not sure if I like the sound of any of these changes at all but then I’m just a grumpy old man who doesn’t like change. 

Don't like the middle paragraph on this excerpt at all.

Screenshot_20230728_160220_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think so mate. Maybe 4 of the playoff places?

I too could be wrong though so feel free to provide a screenshot of where it states that as it would be interesting if that was the case. It would mean nothing was available for finishing second in your group. 

Nothing like making an erse of myself on the message board! and I hadn't even had a drink