Managers Thread.... - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Managers Thread....

Just now, Fairbairn said:

With the greatest of respect, isn't that a bit narrow minded?  Real Madrid>Celtic is exactly the same as Celtic>Aberdeen or 39 of the other 40 teams in the league.  With the financial gulf between Celtic and the rest they should be winning everything in Scotland, there comes a point where it stops becoming an achievement (and that's not Celtic's fault, to a degree nor would I expect you not to celebrate domestic wins). 

Surely you want to see them improve in Europe as a real barometer of success.  I know I enjoyed games in our 2 recent UEFA/Europa runs way more than the majority of domestic games I've seen us be successful in over the years.

I agree once again, just saying the CL is out of our depth. In Scotland our advantage is down to the size of our club, support, proper re recruiting and managing our books. I may sound selfish, but I love winning every week, that's what it's all about. Sorry, don't mean to go off topic here...

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

All out of work as far as I can tell and all dinosaurs.  I'm pretty sure Levein and McGhee are both retired.

Absolutely correct, no Aberdeen fan would want any of those names to manage the team

34 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

At the risk of causing a combustion here Ramy, I wouldn't call getting cuffed 3-0 and 5-1 "going toe to toe"!!  Ange has undoubtedly improved Celtic domestically and they play some attractive football but the real determining factor of his success should be whether he improves them in Europe or not and, based on this season, he hasn't.

I would also add, Celtic weren't a "shambles", they went one season in ten without winning a trophy. That isn't a shambles, its a blip. Ange didn't perform any miracles at Celtic nor is he performing any now. Some Celtic fans but not all seem to think otherwise. 

15 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I agree once again, just saying the CL is out of our depth. In Scotland our advantage is down to the size of our club, support, proper re recruiting and managing our books. I may sound selfish, but I love winning every week, that's what it's all about. Sorry, don't mean to go off topic here...

At least you admit Celtic have an advantage now

36 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Here is a decent question. How many Scottish managers who have managed before with a bit of experience are out of work just now. Lambert, Levien, McGee, McLeish, etc that would manage back in Scotland. I'm not saying a fit for Aberdeen, just a straight forward question.. I don't even know if these coaches are available at the moment...

I personally hope none of them are available now 

It's an interesting topic. What exactly makes a successful manager? Whatever our club allegiances it's one we've often contemplated at a Scotland level and I'm not sure it's an easy question to answer. Are the ingredients for a successful national manager different to a successful club manager?

How many underachieving jobs does a manager have to have before they get written off and no one will touch them?  Why do some managers seem to get job after job though they never seem to really improve their charges? Would some one like Mourinho actually be able to be successful if he didn't have a fortune to spend in transfers and wages?

18 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

It's an interesting topic. What exactly makes a successful manager? Whatever our club allegiances it's one we've often contemplated at a Scotland level and I'm not sure it's an easy question to answer. Are the ingredients for a successful national manager different to a successful club manager?

How many underachieving jobs does a manager have to have before they get written off and no one will touch them?  Why do some managers seem to get job after job though they never seem to really improve their charges? Would some one like Mourinho actually be able to be successful if he didn't have a fortune to spend in transfers and wages?

Great post. Example, David Moyes with Everton. Never had a big budget, big signings, but held his own with what he had at his disposal.. It's a good point, when you have millions upon millions to spend, you can buy success, not manage it..

56 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Great post. Example, David Moyes with Everton. Never had a big budget, big signings, but held his own with what he had at his disposal.. It's a good point, when you have millions upon millions to spend, you can buy success, not manage it..

Benitez impressed me when he went to Newcastle and got them promotion to the EPL. Yes they were a big club in that division but I thought he was nonetheless putting his reputation on the line. Fair play to him for that.

Moyes is a really good example. Successful at Preston and Everton. Then reputation takes a dent at Manchester United, Real Sociedad and Sunderland . Not initially well loved at West Ham but now I'd say his reputation has been very largely restored.

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Not initially well loved at West Ham but now I'd say his reputation has been very largely restored.

A lot of West Ham fans still not convinced. He seems to do better with lesser squads with a 'team' or tight group mentality. When he gets the chance to make big money signings it tends to go a bit pear shaped. He's got some really good signings in this season and it's not clicking. He still plays pretty negatively which just doesn't suit better quality players.

22 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

A lot of West Ham fans still not convinced. He seems to do better with lesser squads with a 'team' or tight group mentality. When he gets the chance to make big money signings it tends to go a bit pear shaped. He's got some really good signings in this season and it's not clicking. He still plays pretty negatively which just doesn't suit better quality players.

That's interesting. It's also why I said his reputation had been 'largely 'restored. I think that Man United after Fergie was always going to be a poisoned chalice but nonetheless his time there might add to a suspicion that he isn't the right manager for the real elite clubs who are expected to actually win things.

13 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

That's interesting. It's also why I said his reputation had been 'largely 'restored. I think that Man United after Fergie was always going to be a poisoned chalice but nonetheless his time there might add to a suspicion that he isn't the right manager for the real elite clubs who are expected to actually win things.

Between us we may have just highlighted someone with all the credentials to be the next Scotland manager! 😄

5 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I don't think he'll leave but think you're underestimating how big a club Leeds are.  A proper sleeping giant down there.  I also don't think he's what Leeds need right now.  They need someone, Like Everton did, who can grind out wins and get points on the board between now and May.  Ange would want to take his brand of football down there and I don't think he'd initially get the results needed over the short term.  He's much better suited to going to an EPL team at the start of the season where he'll have a bit of time to get the players up to speed with how he wants them to play (similar to his start at Celtic which didn't exactly set the heather on fire),

Leeds are a big club with the potential to be a huge one.  A city a similar size as Glasgow with one senior club (although they do "share" it with a huge rugby league team, in fairness). 

Ange isn't the man for them at this juncture, but if he got the chance to speak to them in them in the future he'd be mad not to take it.

Mark Fotheringham & Kenny Miller have just been sacked at Huddersfield...should they be casting their eye north for their next gig, my personal view is that I wouldn't trust them to manage my local school team. Fotheringham's press conferences often bordered on bizarre.

Send them to Leeds would be my suggestion.

https://www.facebook.com/328764714386018/posts/pfbid02ExtgXJsoDbD97esBxtXxQ7LP9b7N87s4qyFwwH3QjSFW4c6ezmSHtp7ftq6JF8V2l/?sfnsn=mo&mibextid=6aamW6

What is this Alan Brazil like? I know he was a Scotland legend, but I don't know alot about him as a pundit.. Seems a decent enough lad mind you.. I know he likes a pint or 2..🤣