English Prem. Squads Scots - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English Prem. Squads Scots

syecosse

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, I'm not saying I wish he was playing for us, just that it is a bit of a farce that he has switched countries. Gauld playing for Canada just because he's lived there long enough will be harder to take.

I'm not against playing for more than 2 countries. Especially in a modern world with globalisation. But obviously there will be the odd person that is exploiting the system.

Gauld did not do himself any favours with his recent rather petulant interviews and the national team has not exactly suffered without him.

Jason Cummings is a professional imbecile who will somehow find a way to fuck up his current golden boy image with Australia, just give him time and he'll find a way.

Before Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney burst onto the scene there were some who looked towards Aaron Taylor Sinclair as one of a number of possible options at left back. He now plays for Antigua and Barbuda.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m at the stage now I don’t really care as long as they give it their all when they play, like Adams and Dykes who at 16 would likely have picked England and Australia. 

The fear moving forward is that it’s diluted even further by Fifa. 

The one I initially cared about was James Morrison, since he'd played for England u21s. However, he more than demonstrated his commitment and abilities for Scotland. 46 caps he ended up on, and there was a period where he was one of our best players. Turned up for more squads than most.

There are some cases that they are clearly there just to boost their C.V., like Matt Ritchie who turned up for a few camps then seemed to lose interest. These are the ones we want to avoid, as they are never going to give it their all.

10 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m at the stage now I don’t really care as long as they give it their all when they play, like Adams and Dykes who at 16 would likely have picked England and Australia. 

The fear moving forward is that it’s diluted even further by Fifa. 

then it becomes meaningless.  I hardly ever watch European football now as it’s so dull and predictable.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Gauld did not do himself any favours with his recent rather petulant interviews and the national team has not exactly suffered without him.

Jason Cummings is a professional imbecile who will somehow find a way to fuck up his current golden boy image with Australia, just give him time and he'll find a way.

Before Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney burst onto the scene there were some who looked towards Aaron Taylor Sinclair as one of a number of possible options at left back. He now plays for Antigua and Barbuda.

That's a great example of a player we had high hopes for and turned out to be no where near the standard. I viewed him the same way I do Ashby now, though I'm probably more cynical about potential stars than I was back then.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I won't be losing any sleep over that wanker Cummings. He'll get found out soon enough.

Playing for two countries is nothing new. Go back nearly ninety years ago and it was happening then.

Barney Battles Jnr represented the USA (1925) and then Scotland (1930). Joe Kennaway represented Canada (1926) and Scotland (1933).

And, the history of the World Cup is littered with players who played for both Argentina and Italy. As you say, it's nothing new.

1 hour ago, ghorne67 said:

Just wait til FIFA changes the eligibility rules to match rugby, players can switch nationalities at any point as long as they haven’t featured for their ‘current nationality’ for three years.

We could make a run at Sebastian Coates in a few years. 

Awful rule and I would be opposed to it even though it is smaller nations like ourselves who would potentially benefit from it.