English Prem. Squads Scots - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English Prem. Squads Scots

syecosse

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Used to be a saying "the blood is strong". 

Personally prefer the birth line to the birth location one. 

To me it is engrained into you by culture, friends, settings and familiarity. He has lived in England all of his life, mixed with and made English friends, been brought up during World Cups with English interest and excitement, been introduced into football from a very young age in England and represented England at many junior levels. The only connection is his Scottish mother who by all accounts lives in England so I cannot see her banging the drum too much to get him to play for Scotland. He has been representing England for his whole life at six different levels - that speaks volumes.

4 hours ago, todd said:

Agreed, the birth place is, in many ways, an irrelevance.  My father was born in Germany when his father was stationed there, 6 months later they moved back to Scotland where he lived out the rest of his life.  How that would've made him eligible for Germany is ridiculous 🙄 

Agreed but Tino Livramento has lived in England all of his life and represented England all of his life.

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To me it is engrained into you by culture, friends, settings and familiarity. He has lived in England all of his life, mixed with and made English friends, been brought up during World Cups with English interest and excitement, been introduced into football from a very young age in England and represented England at many junior levels. The only connection is his Scottish mother who by all accounts lives in England so I cannot see her banging the drum too much to get him to play for Scotland. He has been representing England for his whole life at six different levels - that speaks volumes.

Bring back good old family values.

If you think Scottish blood is diluted that easily fair enough.

I guess you don't have children.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

What I think is irrelevant here it is what Tino Livramento thinks that is key. As some speccy twat on TV once used to say: 'The clues are there.'

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What I think is irrelevant here it is what Tino Livramento thinks that is key. As some speccy twat on TV once used to say: 'The clues are there.'

Well if I ever start listening to what teenagers think,I'll let you know.

Like it or not the lads Scottish, he just needs a bit of a kick up the arse to realise that.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I lived in the Black Country for a bit but moved back. I have a son (who has no interest in football so it's a moot point) but if he had been born in England, lived there his formative years, schooled there etc, if he had been an international level footballer, I could hardly tell him to turn his back on everything in his growing-up environment that had made him and pick Scotland over England. I guess everyone is different, but this pish from folk who chose to leave Scotland and then chose to have a family in England then turning round and telling their kids they're Scottish not English doesn't sit easy with me. After how many generations are the kids allowed to be English?

6 hours ago, duncan II said:

I lived in the Black Country for a bit but moved back. I have a son (who has no interest in football so it's a moot point) but if he had been born in England, lived there his formative years, schooled there etc, if he had been an international level footballer, I could hardly tell him to turn his back on everything in his growing-up environment that had made him and pick Scotland over England. I guess everyone is different, but this pish from folk who chose to leave Scotland and then chose to have a family in England then turning round and telling their kids they're Scottish not English doesn't sit easy with me. After how many generations are the kids allowed to be English?

Good post with a lot of common sense.

Parents forcing their English born or Canadian born or Australian born kids against their will to feel they are Scottish is not a good idea and is morally wrong. Let the kids figure it out for themselves, as Scott McTominay and Lyndon Dykes did.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:19 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Probably never will get a call up but I would say he is better than all our options bar Gordon(who cant carry on for ever}

Lets see how he does next year or any of our keepers do for that matter.

Can't see where your enthusiasm for him comes from apart from the fact we are desperate to find a top class keeper. 

Steer had a stint as first choice at Villa way back in 2013, the fact that apart from a season at Huddersfield in 2016 & few games on loan at various other lower league clubs he has been a back up keeper ever since would tell me he either isn't very ambitious or isn't very good. 

Villa have just signed Swedish international Robin Olsen, he will be their 2nd choice keeper so Steer needs to get out of Villa & play some football at a decent level before he is worth even mentioning here. 

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Well if I ever start listening to what teenagers think,I'll let you know.

Like it or not the lads Scottish, he just needs a bit of a kick up the arse to realise that.

That is not what his career stats tell us so far:- 

Represented England at six levels. With no representation, or any evidence of interest in representing Scotland. I would not expect any different from someone born in Croydon in London and lived in England all of his life. Heck we have no evidence he has even walked on Scottish soil either. The only connection with Scotland is his mother who lives in England. And lets remember he has the Portugese blood of his father too with his dad, by all accounts nipping his ear to represent Portugal but he has chosen England.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

There are loads of reasons a player may pick a particular nation, most of which we never will know and don't have any right to anyway. David Weir's son Jensen plays for England, for instance, and it is hard to imagine an upbringing outside of Scotland with more clear links to being Scottish/a Scottish footballer than that. Obviously he feels that England is the right choice for him right now - that might change and it might not.

I'd certainly be disappointed if an excellent player decided to play for another nation over ours, but that is for my own selfish reasons. I certainly wouldn't grudge them their choice though.

47 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It’s like the Nuremberg trials. His mother is Scottish FFS. 

No it is nothing like the Nuremberg Trials actually. He can (and will) play for who he wants to and who he identifies with and at present that is England and has been for six years now.

22 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No it is nothing like the Nuremberg Trials actually. He can (and will) play for who he wants to and who he identifies with and at present that is England and has been for six years now.

Fine, but it’s not for you to assess his eligibility. 

14 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Fine, but it’s not for you to assess his eligibility. 

Where have I done that? All I have done is stated facts with all the evidence we have in front of us. The way of international football rules is now anyway we could open a thread on so many players in world football born outwith Scotland about eligibility to play for Scotland that is how loose it is becoming.

Edited by Caledonian Craig