Steve Clarke Fuck Off - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke Fuck Off

kumnio

17 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Yes mate, I am indeed “for real”.

Shankland played two thirds of the game in Amsterdam, during which time this “natural finisher” missed the biggest opportunity to score at a crucial stage of the game. He tucks away that chance and he's undroppable, but he didn't, so he's not. He also had opportunities to score on Tuesday night that he didn’t take.

Ferguson came on in the 69th minute in Amsterdam, during which time we totally collapsed. Not primarily his fault but hardly cries the “positive game-changer” that demands he should start ahead of anyone else. On Tuesday night he came on for a left back (somebody earlier in the thread says Clarke doesn’t have a Plan B, - that’s clearly untrue) for the guts of an hour. While he was pretty decent, he didn’t do enough to merit the clamour for him to undoubtedly start before any of our other midfielders. Ferguson will get his chance once our current crop of first picks start to fade, but starting him now only because he has the prospects to be our main player in the future is paradoxical thinking.

Shankland got about 80 minutes over the two games and Ferguson just over 70 minutes – hardly “fuck-all”.

As for playing McGinn as a striker – are you for real?

Aye so let's just bomb out all of our players who haven't finished a decent chance for Scotland? We won't have a team left if that's your thinking. Plus even if he did score he wouldnt be "undroppable", he would still be used as an impact sub if that in competetive games as it's clear Dykes and Adams are the favoured strikers considering no one else is really get any sort of opportunity other than the odd game/minutes here and there or not being involved in the squad.

I would give Shankland a bit of leeway regarding his chances as he actually striked the ball very well for one, actually hit it too well if anything and was unfortunate they didn't go in and the one against NI was a good block by the defender who positioned himself well infront of Shankland. Other days, these would go in.

Regarding Ferguson, you need to give Bologna a watch for a few games to really understand the type of player he is, they are one of the most exciting teams to watch in Serie A now in part due to the way Ferguson is playing as the box to box midfielder, he would be perfect for Scotland. There's no point waiting around when he can improve this team now, I really hate this way of thinking as we are definitely not this "perfect" team that people seem to think we are since we qualified out of our Euros group. 

Think you need more than 70 minutes to showcase what you can do over two games and he was our best player once he was on against NI... 

McGinn could work very well up top IMO but as I said, that'll be too revolutionary thinking for some folk. He would rotate with the likes of McT, Ferguson, Christie and it would work if it can be practiced on the training ground and in friendly games. It has worked for other teams in the past, I mean even Fabregas was playing a flase 9 for Spain years back. Our strikers are pretty stinking and we have abundance of great midfielders atm so why not give it a go before the euros, it's a no win no loss

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Considering how much you are cumming all over Stevie Clarke at the minute especially over the last qualifying campaign where we beat Spain and Norway away then why wouldn't you expect to beat Ukraine at home anytime we play them or a poor team 8 times out of 10?

Crazy and delusional to beat Ukraine? Get this mentality into the sea, if we are to progress then we need everyone to be believing we will beat these types of average teams otherwise what is the point in watching us as we will just be scudded most games.

We finally have a quality group of players playing at a very good level. Wales got to the semi finals in 2016 with a much worse squad so anything is possible

Ukraine are not an average team. They are decent international team who have good squad of players playing at a good level. 

I don't expect to beat them 8/9 times out of 10 at home because the evidence clearly shows we have never achieved that kind of consistency in the last 40 or 50 years. We also don't have a strong enough squad to expect a win ratio like that.

Not trying to be an arse but you are living in fantasy land if you think we should be beating Ukraine 8/9 times out 10 at home with the squad we currently have. Its unrealistic to say the least.

Wales arguably had a better squad than us and they had a game changing player in bale. They did well reaching the semis but thats not something you should expect us to achieve. If it happens great but the most you should hope for is us getting out the groups and you should be extremely thankful that you are getting to see your country play at a major tournament.

Where you are getting higher expectations than that is mind boggling to me. Just cos Wales did well doesn't mean we will necessarily match that. There's loads of nations with decent squads who struggle to get out the groups and given our previous record at major tournaments you should be lowering your expectations quite a bit.

14 hours ago, Daz1982 said:

This is the type of mindset that has held us back over the years.

Why should the pinnacle for Scotland be to qualify only? Surely the ultimate goal / pinnacle for any footballing nation is to win a Euros or World Cup!

In my lifetime, I have witnessed countries with similar or even smaller populations reach the latter stages of tournaments, and even WIN them!!

Why should we not be aiming for this too? 

I accept qualification is a good achievement , but this ‘it’s great just to be taking part’ attitude really does have to be kicked into touch, it runs through the veins of our country, and it does my head in!!

Nobody expects Rotherham or Ipswich to win the fa cup or the epl. Everyone with half a brain knows that. 

The countries that have reached the latter stages of tournaments tended to have much better squads than us. Theres been one or two anomalies like Greece or Wales who maybe didn't have squads that were much stronger than ours but expecting that to definitely happen is unrealistic. 

My hope is we get out the groups. If any Scotland fan wants or expects more than that then you are being delusional. We have never been out of the groups of a major tournament. Why do you expect anything more based on history?

It would be like expecting hearts or Hibs to win the league next season or for Brentford to win the epl. 

We have a manager who has achieved what no one else could in the last 20 years and ppl are complaining over a few friendly results against mostly top opposition.

Clarke has earned his right to take us to Germany and he if fails spectacularly then I will thank him for at least getting us there in the first place and he can move on having at least made the Scotland job a more desirable prospect for future managers.

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ukraine are not an average team. They are decent international team who have good squad of players playing at a good level. 

I don't expect to beat them 8/9 times out of 10 at home because the evidence clearly shows we have never achieved that kind of consistency in the last 40 or 50 years. We also don't have a strong enough squad to expect a win ratio like that.

Not trying to be an arse but you are living in fantasy land if you think we should be beating Ukraine 8/9 times out 10 at home with the squad we currently have. Its unrealistic to say the least.

Wales arguably had a better squad than us and they had a game changing player in bale. They did well reaching the semis but thats not something you should expect us to achieve. If it happens great but the most you should hope for is us getting out the groups and you should be extremely thankful that you are getting to see your country play at a major tournament.

Where you are getting higher expectations than that is mind boggling to me. Just cos Wales did well doesn't mean we will necessarily match that. There's loads of nations with decent squads who struggle to get out the groups and given our previous record at major tournaments you should be lowering your expectations quite a bit.

Uhm well average is pretty equal to decent in my eyes. Decent is just a nicer way of saying a team is slightly above average perhaps...

We will get nowhere however if we cannot beat the likes of Ukraine regularly at home (the odd draw at home is acceptable) and to use your favourite word, it's mindboggling to me that you cannae see this. 

I haven't said i expect us to get to the semi's but i think any reasonable fan would expect us to reach the knock outs when you compare the team we have to others in the group. There is absolutely no reason why we can't beat the likes of Switzerland and Hungary, it will be tough but these are our equals if we want to actually progress in tournament level football and i believe we are capable of this. 

The team Wales had were no great shakes whatsoever but their collective group of players did brilliantly and were hard to beat, this is what we should try to be replicating. Yeah Bale made a huge difference i guess but as said earlier, it's a team sport so he cannot just pull Wales through all by himself...

Thankful to see my country at a major tournament, this should be an expectancy first and foremost. Maybe no win the QF group but at least qualify in one way or the other. It's never been easier when you also have the Nations League and an increase of teams at the tournament. This mentality is 'mindboggling' to me, you're acting is if we are Andorra. 

30 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Uhm well average is pretty equal to decent in my eyes. Decent is just a nicer way of saying a team is slightly above average perhaps...

We will get nowhere however if we cannot beat the likes of Ukraine regularly at home (the odd draw at home is acceptable) and to use your favourite word, it's mindboggling to me that you cannae see this. 

I haven't said i expect us to get to the semi's but i think any reasonable fan would expect us to reach the knock outs when you compare the team we have to others in the group. There is absolutely no reason why we can't beat the likes of Switzerland and Hungary, it will be tough but these are our equals if we want to actually progress in tournament level football and i believe we are capable of this. 

The team Wales had were no great shakes whatsoever but their collective group of players did brilliantly and were hard to beat, this is what we should try to be replicating. Yeah Bale made a huge difference i guess but as said earlier, it's a team sport so he cannot just pull Wales through all by himself...

Thankful to see my country at a major tournament, this should be an expectancy first and foremost. Maybe no win the QF group but at least qualify in one way or the other. It's never been easier when you also have the Nations League and an increase of teams at the tournament. This mentality is 'mindboggling' to me, you're acting is if we are Andorra. 

You do realise we never qualified for a tournament for 22 years. Thats more than 2 decades!!

Theres roughly 210 teams in the FIFA rankings and Ukraine are currently 24th. Thats 10 places above us. In recent times they have qualified for major tournaments consistently and even done reasonably well at some of them.

Over the last 15 or so years Ukraine have been a level or 2 above us and you expecting us to consistently beat them at home 90 percent of the time is not realistic. 

They are good international side who have proven themselves to be better than us in recent years.

Switzerland are not our equal. Take a look at their squad. It's clearly stronger than ours and Switzerland have been excellent at qualifying for major tournaments over the last 15 years. We will do very well to get a draw out of that match. Obviously I want a win but Switzerland like Ukraine are a good international team.

Hungary would probably be our best bet of getting a win. Their squad is very average on paper and I would maybe say we have a slightly better squad than them. Saying that they must be a good side who play well as a team or else they wouldn't have qualified and they have beaten England(twice)and Germany and countless other decent sides over the last 3 or more years. I cant imagine the optimism we would have had we beaten England 4 nil and beaten Germany in the last 2 years. You would be expecting us to win the euros easily. 

Nothing needs to said about having to face Germany in Germany. Recent form has been relatively poor for the Germans but they have a squad full of world class players and are playing on home turf. We will be lucky to get anything from that match.

Anyways I am not sure where the anger for Clarke is coming from. He has gotten our country to a major tournament and we have a reasonable chance at making it out of the groups for the first time . What more do you want?

18 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Nobody expects Rotherham or Ipswich to win the fa cup or the epl. Everyone with half a brain knows that. 

The countries that have reached the latter stages of tournaments tended to have much better squads than us. Theres been one or two anomalies like Greece or Wales who maybe didn't have squads that were much stronger than ours but expecting that to definitely happen is unrealistic. 

My hope is we get out the groups. If any Scotland fan wants or expects more than that then you are being delusional. We have never been out of the groups of a major tournament. Why do you expect anything more based on history?

It would be like expecting hearts or Hibs to win the league next season or for Brentford to win the epl. 

We have a manager who has achieved what no one else could in the last 20 years and ppl are complaining over a few friendly results against mostly top opposition.

Clarke has earned his right to take us to Germany and he if fails spectacularly then I will thank him for at least getting us there in the first place and he can move on having at least made the Scotland job a more desirable prospect for future managers.

First point in bold, in 98 everyone expected us to get out of your WC group, in the 70's and 80s again everyone expected us to get out the groups. Again this year a lot of people will be expecting us to get out of our group. If we get to KO's and get a lucky draw then there's a chance we will get further. It's not "delusional" as you say, it's called having belief in the team to do well as the quality is there to do so. I believe Clarke will be thinking similar, just not stating anything publicly.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

You do realise we never qualified for a tournament for 22 years. Thats more than 2 decades!!

Theres roughly 210 teams in the FIFA rankings and Ukraine are currently 24th. Thats 10 places above us. In recent times they have qualified for major tournaments consistently and even done reasonably well at some of them.

Over the last 15 or so years Ukraine have been a level or 2 above us and you expecting us to consistently beat them at home 90 percent of the time is not realistic. 

They are good international side who have proven themselves to be better than us in recent years.

Switzerland are not our equal. Take a look at their squad. It's clearly stronger than ours and Switzerland have been excellent at qualifying for major tournaments over the last 15 years. We will do very well to get a draw out of that match. Obviously I want a win but Switzerland like Ukraine are a good international team.

Hungary would probably be our best bet of getting a win. Their squad is very average on paper and I would maybe say we have a slightly better squad than them. Saying that they must be a good side who play well as a team or else they wouldn't have qualified and they have beaten England(twice)and Germany and countless other decent sides over the last 3 or more years. I cant imagine the optimism we would have had we beaten England 4 nil and beaten Germany in the last 2 years. You would be expecting us to win the euros easily. 

Nothing needs to said about having to face Germany in Germany. Recent form has been relatively poor for the Germans but they have a squad full of world class players and are playing on home turf. We will be lucky to get anything from that match.

Anyways I am not sure where the anger for Clarke is coming from. He has gotten our country to a major tournament and we have a reasonable chance at making it out of the groups for the first time . What more do you want?

I don't understand why you are harbouring on about no qualifying for a while? We have failed to qualify as our team has been stinking as well as our youth teams. Things have changed since then. McCleish was a big part of why we actually got to the previous Euros and the SFA have made big changes to the development programme which has helped bring through a lot of quality youngsters which in turn has aided Steve Clarke whilst manager of Scotland. More of our players are going abroad to the likes of Italy, again furthering their development for the better.

The Fifa world rankings are not exactly a full proof rating of how good or bad a team is. If you are beating fodder then you will jump the rankings for example so I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. Ukraine are on par with us as proven by recent matches but at home, I would expect a narrow win as we have one of the best squads we've had in decades and should be expecting wins against these types of teams. 

Switzerland have been doing very well to reach recent tournaments but did you see any of their games or results even in their last qualifying group? They struggled BIG TIME. We are good enough to beat them...

Hungary are a very good team but again and will be a tough game but they are not good enough where we should be fearing them. There is no reason why we can't beat them as we've beaten better oppposition in recent times.

I have no anger for Clarke, I just wish he would be more flexible in his tactics and try out players on form especially in freindly games. He is going with the tried and trusted and I fear this will only end one way and we will see a repeat of the last Euros we were at. We are way too predictable at times, you could see how well NI defended against us recently, it will be the same if we don't change something. 

You need to have some more belief in this team rather than have a weak mentality about it all. This country has this attitude and it gets right on my tits as we are always playing down everything!

3 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

First point in bold, in 98 everyone expected us to get out of your WC group, in the 70's and 80s again everyone expected us to get out the groups. Again this year a lot of people will be expecting us to get out of our group. If we get to KO's and get a lucky draw then there's a chance we will get further. It's not "delusional" as you say, it's called having belief in the team to do well as the quality is there to do so. I believe Clarke will be thinking similar, just not stating anything publicly.

Depends what you mean by 'expected'. The expectation level in 98 was that we had a 50/50 chance. Obviously you had some eternal optimists who always think we will make it out the groups but your level headed fans knew it was roughly 50/50. 

I wasn't old enough to remember the 70s and 80s but we had amazing squads back then so it was a given that fans expected to do well at tournaments.

Don't know where you are getting this idea that alot of ppl will be expecting us to get out of our group this year. Our chances of making it out of the this group is probably less than 30 percent. I base that on the fact we have never been out the group stages and our recent results have been poor albeit against top level opposition. I might have put us at 40 percent (or more) before our recent run of games but we have looked poor and I think we are in a tougher group than most ppl think.

Either way I just want to enjoy that we are going and Clarke has delivered what every manager since craig brown couldn't. If he fucks it up in Germany then I won't be too critical and he can leave with his head held high knowing he at least broke the curse of not qualifying for 22 long years.

9 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

McCleish was a big part of why we actually got to the previous Euros

He needed to come top 2 in a 3 team group with Israel and Albania which yes, in fairness, he topped. Clarke then did the hard bit and actually got us to the Euros. And then he went and got us promoted to League A. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Depends what you mean by 'expected'. The expectation level in 98 was that we had a 50/50 chance. Obviously you had some eternal optimists who always think we will make it out the groups but your level headed fans knew it was roughly 50/50. 

I wasn't old enough to remember the 70s and 80s but we had amazing squads back then so it was a given that fans expected to do well at tournaments.

Don't know where you are getting this idea that alot of ppl will be expecting us to get out of our group this year. Our chances of making it out of the this group is probably less than 30 percent. I base that on the fact we have never been out the group stages and our recent results have been poor albeit against top level opposition. I might have put us at 40 percent (or more) before our recent run of games but we have looked poor and I think we are in a tougher group than most ppl think.

Either way I just want to enjoy that we are going and Clarke has delivered what every manager since craig brown couldn't. If he fucks it up in Germany then I won't be too critical and he can leave with his head held high knowing he at least broke the curse of not qualifying for 22 long years.

Oh come on, even level headed fans were expecting us to qualify from a really poor group at 98 WC.

Before the recent frendlies, people were very upbeat about the group we had and thought we would do well. Since the downturn in form then things have probably changed again. I do agree it's a tough group and shouldn't maybe said 'expected to get out the group' but i "expect to be challenging to qualify out the group", if it's anothe repeat of the last euros then i will be extremely pissed off. If so, then I wouldn't be saying to get rid of Clarke or anything but I would want him to at least show that he's learned from the experience. 

My expectation comes from not wanting us to waste this team that we have at the moment and losing big games (like the one against the Czechs or Ukraine) 

1 minute ago, trout101 said:

He needed to come top 2 in a 3 team group with Israel and Albania which yes, in fairness, he topped. Clarke then did the hard bit and actually got us to the Euros. And then he went and got us promoted to League A. 

The point being that it wasn't just one person getting us there but a culmination of events

1 minute ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

The point being that it wasn't just one person getting us there but a culmination of events

Clarke is responsible for a massive part of that, the SFA a wee bit and McLeish about 0.1%. McLeish v2 was an appalling time to be a scotland fan.

You're repeatedly downplaying his achievements.

2 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I don't understand why you are harbouring on about no qualifying for a while? We have failed to qualify as our team has been stinking as well as our youth teams. Things have changed since then. McCleish was a big part of why we actually got to the previous Euros and the SFA have made big changes to the development programme which has helped bring through a lot of quality youngsters which in turn has aided Steve Clarke whilst manager of Scotland. More of our players are going abroad to the likes of Italy, again furthering their development for the better.

The Fifa world rankings are not exactly a full proof rating of how good or bad a team is. If you are beating fodder then you will jump the rankings for example so I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. Ukraine are on par with us as proven by recent matches but at home, I would expect a narrow win as we have one of the best squads we've had in decades and should be expecting wins against these types of teams. 

Switzerland have been doing very well to reach recent tournaments but did you see any of their games or results even in their last qualifying group? They struggled BIG TIME. We are good enough to beat them...

Hungary are a very good team but again and will be a tough game but they are not good enough where we should be fearing them. There is no reason why we can't beat them as we've beaten better oppposition in recent times.

I have no anger for Clarke, I just wish he would be more flexible in his tactics and try out players on form especially in freindly games. He is going with the tried and trusted and I fear this will only end one way and we will see a repeat of the last Euros we were at. We are way too predictable at times, you could see how well NI defended against us recently, it will be the same if we don't change something. 

You need to have some more belief in this team rather than have a weak mentality about it all. This country has this attitude and it gets right on my tits as we are always playing down everything!

There's a big difference in believing in yourself and being delusional. It's not a weak mentality to be able to make a good analysis on our chances of doing well at the euros. 

Our history at major tournaments factored in with squad strength and current form will tell you that expecting us to get out of the groups is not likely. 

Regardless of FIFA rankings Ukraine are a good side and have achieved far more than us in the last 10/15 years. We will be doing well if we can have a 50/50 record against them. They are a strong side and are capable of beating us at home which is sadly what happened in the play offs.

Also our squad isn't hugely better now than previous ones from the last 20 years. We still rely on guys who play English championship and often line up with 3 English championship players. Clarke has managed to get the best out of guys like dykes and porteous who play for average championship sides. 

It's Clarke thats the main difference and few bad results in meaningless games shouldn't change that fact.

3 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Oh come on, even level headed fans were expecting us to qualify from a really poor group at 98 WC.

You're just making stuff up now.

In the run up to France 98 - Paw Broon said that we were the underdogs of the group. We had an ageing and probably the weakest ever squad we'd taken to a tournament at that stage (and we'd never progressed beyond the group stages with better squads). We had the reigning champions and eventual finalists in the opening game - a real possibility was a hammering that we'd never recover from and our World Cup being over before it started. Morocco were the top team in Africa (Pele had said an African team would win the World Cup before the end of the century) and the team's official song was "Don't Come Home Too Soon". 

The last time we were confident of doing something at a tournament was Argentina 1978. Since then, and including the 1980s, expectations when we have qualified have been tempered that to get out of the group would be an unprecedented success.

I think this post was created when Clarke lost in Dublin a few years back.

If he lost in Armenia he was on a shaky nail.

But we won in Armenia and went onto qualify for two European Championships in a row.

Of course it would have been nice to beat Northen Ireland but that's football.

SC has been round the block and has worked with best, HAVE FAITH.

image.png.e5571a39d5f6080430c0d565afcef2e5.png

8 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Before the recent frendlies, people were very upbeat about the group we had and thought we would do well. Since the downturn in form then things have probably changed again. I do agree it's a tough group and shouldn't maybe said 'expected to get out the group' but i "expect to be challenging to qualify out the group", if it's anothe repeat of the last euros then i will be extremely pissed off. If so, then I wouldn't be saying to get rid of Clarke or anything but I would want him to at least show that he's learned from the experience. 

My expectation comes from not wanting us to waste this team that we have at the moment and losing big games (like the one against the Czechs or Ukraine) 

That's because alot of Scotland fans get carried away and become delusional like you are doing right now. Most of the experienced Scotland fans who had followed Scotland for years knew that we were not remotely guaranteed to get out of the groups. They had seen Scotland fail at major tournaments with much better squads and it was always a case of if trying to get a results against Morocco and norway. We arrogantly thought it was a poor group but Morocco were African champions and Norway were a decent side. The hope was a win and draw coupled with a bit of good luck would see us through. 

Having experienced euro 96 and WC 98 I know that any Scotland fan expecting us to get out the groups needs a reality check. We can do it but it's not a certainty or even a 50/50.

Also I have never been upbeat about our group. I think it's deceptively tougher than what ppl think and we will need a good bit of luck to get out of it.

4 hours ago, todd said:

And we humped them even more at Hampden after that!  Has everyone just forgotten about that game or what? 🙄

We were talking about bad results. I don't think anybody would say the game you mentioned was a bad result.

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Title of the thread?

Two years ago. Things have changed. I think that even the OP has said he wouldn't sack him now. Apologies if I have got that bit wrong? 

1 hour ago, trout101 said:

Clarke is responsible for a massive part of that, the SFA a wee bit and McLeish about 0.1%. McLeish v2 was an appalling time to be a scotland fan.

You're repeatedly downplaying his achievements.

Not to mention McLeish fucked off the first time after less than a year in the job. Shamelessly used the job as stepping stone, something Clarke hasn't done. 

Ppl need to appreciate everything Clarke has done and the fact he's been loyal enough to stick around rather than pissing off at the first opportunity.

20 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

This is the best thread we have had for a while.

Reminds me a bit of the halcyon days when two of Chippers many profiles were arguing with each other