Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead - Page 50 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead

andyg83

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Republic of Ireland was actually created by FIFA in 1953 it's the name given to the football team to distinguish them from Northern Ireland - the country's official title is 'Eire' or Ireland.

there were 2 Irelands before right ? one controlled from dublin, one from belfast (one FAI and one IFA)

bizzarely though they could both select from the whole island

also imagine both played in same colours

Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland both claimed the title "Ireland". FIFA decreed circa 1954 that Republic of and Northern be used. NI were allowed to play in the Home Championship as Ireland and did up until at least 1978.

Dual players was stopped in 1950. Ironically for many northern nationalists it was the FAI who forced English clubs to stop southern players from playing for the IFA.

Can someone delete the absolute verbal diarrhea that has taken over this post??

First time poster, from Dublin, will be in the LL upper Friday week. Can't wait for it. Ideally would be good if fans were seperated (more noise) but not going to be the case.

Looking forward to mixing it with the Scots, know a good few both here and Scotland.

First time poster, from Dublin, will be in the LL upper Friday week. Can't wait for it. Ideally would be good if fans were seperated (more noise) but not going to be the case.

Looking forward to mixing it with the Scots, know a good few both here and Scotland.

Jings, if we deleted all the shite there would be nowt here!

wind yer neck in mate ; bit obnoxious posting from over the water, and making demands on your first post

it's mostly your countrymen in-fighting anyways

As am I....feel free to come and say hello mate......provided we are 3 up at the time :ok::-))

NI were allowed to play in the Home Championship as Ireland and did up until at least 1978.

Indeed, my programme from 1978 is titled "Ireland v Scotland" (Irish home game played at Hampden due to The Troubles)...

Edited by Toepoke

wind yer neck in mate ; bit obnoxious posting from over the water, and making demands on your first post

it's mostly your countrymen in-fighting anyways

Oh lovely, Hope your not going! The thread concerns my country therefore I will comment on it! I made no demands, simply asked a question. And unfortunately I can't be held responsible for people on here! You get idiots on both sides, you clearly proving that!

Enjoy the game

Edited by IrishEyes

First time poster demanding that posts be deleted, easily upset?

Oh lovely, Hope your not going! The thread concerns my country therefore I will comment on it! I made no demands, simply asked a question. And unfortunately I can't be held responsible for people on here! You get idiots on both sides, you clearly proving that!

Enjoy the game

Your not from Northern Ireland by any chance....are u?

In some ways you're right, but in other ways you're not.

The Irish Government established The Republic of Ireland Act in 1948 and it declares that the description of the State is The Republic of Ireland: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1948/en/act/pub/0022/print.html#sec2

Well my passport front cover says 'Éire' Ireland the two official names of the state.

To note that act was overridden in effect by the British themselves during the Belfast Agreement in the title of the agreement the Irish Government used their domestic respective law name 'Government of Ireland'.

Are we going to a football match or some sort of Irish historical event Friday week - this place is an eye opener! :-))

Well my passport front cover says 'Éire' Ireland the two official names of the state.

To note that act was overridden in effect by the British themselves during the Belfast Agreement in the title of the agreement the Irish Government used their domestic respective law name 'Government of Ireland'.

Are we going to a football match or some sort of Irish historical event Friday week - this place is an eye opener! :-))

Just to add Republic of Ireland Act 1948 did not change the name of the state as prescribed in the Constitution the name of this State is "Ireland" and is so prescribed by Article 4 of the Constitution.

Anyway Gordon Strachan names his squad tomorrow any surprises ahead? :ok: