Opening Game - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Opening Game

The Black Bra

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt it. There are 90 people in hospital with Covid and 6 people in intensive care in the whole of Scotland. Going by Sturgeon’s comments today, unless these figures significantly increase over the next week I think Glasgow will be moved to level 2 next Saturday. 

Even if Glasgow remains at level 3 I have a feeling an exception will be made for the Euros matches unless cases really take off and hospitalisations and deaths increase. If this happens then we could be looking at level 4 again. 

She's made a rod for her own back keeping glasgow in level 3 then suddenly coming out of it week before Euros start. 

If you owned a pub you would be fucking raging. Closed for over 200 days and any time there is a bump they are first to close with zero to back it up.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

She's made a rod for her own back keeping glasgow in level 3 then suddenly coming out of it week before Euros start. 

If you owned a pub you would be fucking raging. Closed for over 200 days and any time there is a bump they are first to close with zero to back it up.

Yeah it’s getting ridiculous. There are areas of Glasgow with very low case numbers but the whole of Glasgow stays in level 3 when there are areas of East Renfrewshire which have high numbers and are closer geographically to G41 and G42 etc. than the west end or North Glasgow are and east Renfrewshire is level 2.

From a Euros point of view it’s probably best if Glasgow stays in level 3 until just before the tournament starts as we don’t want numbers rising and for us to be put back into level 3 and to risk losing fans at the games. From an economy point of view it doesn’t make sense to keep the whole of Glasgow in level 3. 

5 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

Nonsense. The game is going ahead and with fans. 

The only reason it's still in level 3 is to guarantee this. 

You don't announce a 6000 seater venue with lager if you're not confident.

The fan zone was announced but they did state it was dependant on the Covid restrictions in place at the time. If things go tits up over the next couple of weeks there will be no fan zone at Glasgow Green. 

I highly doubt Sturgeon is making decisions on Glasgow’s Covid level based on Euro 2020.  

Had to choose between the Czech game and the Croatia game because at £160 a ticket, and  my husband and I both going,  it had to be one or the other. 
In typical pessimistic scottish fashion I plumped for the Czech game because we are at least guaranteed to start that game with some optimism. Dont think I could stand the pain of dragging my arse to Hampden on the Sunday night with potentially nothing left to play for,  and being 320 quid worse off. 

And if we are in with a chance of progressing  at least I will be in The Ark with a drink going fookin mental ! 😁 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Had to choose between the Czech game and the Croatia game because at £160 a ticket, and  my husband and I both going,  it had to be one or the other. 
In typical pessimistic scottish fashion I plumped for the Czech game because we are at least guaranteed to start that game with some optimism. Dont think I could stand the pain of dragging my arse to Hampden on the Sunday night with potentially nothing left to play for,  and being 320 quid worse off. 

And if we are in with a chance of progressing  at least I will be in The Ark with a drink going fookin mental ! 😁 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

The Croatia game is on a Tuesday night. Not correcting you to be an arse but thought I’d mention it in case you book a table on the wrong day or something. 😊

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The Croatia game is on a Tuesday night. Not correcting you to be an arse but thought I’d mention it in case you book a table on the wrong day or something. 😊

Wtf ! I thought it was the Sunday 🤣 I have had these dates in my diary since January.

Thank fook I never bought the Croatia ticket I would have turned up 2 nights early. No wonder I got a table in The Ark. 

Can you just check I have the other dates right 😬

AEDE164C-3969-435A-8C8F-5EBD7949A772.thumb.jpeg.8a8b5fca456576027e0ccb30a411c897.jpeg
I have taken the Monday off work as well in case we progress 🙄

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Wtf ! I thought it was the Sunday 🤣 I have had these dates in my diary since January.

Thank fook I never bought the Croatia ticket I would have turned up 2 nights early. No wonder I got a table in The Ark. 

Can you just check I have the other dates right 😬

AEDE164C-3969-435A-8C8F-5EBD7949A772.thumb.jpeg.8a8b5fca456576027e0ccb30a411c897.jpeg
I have taken the Monday off work as well in case we progress 🙄

😂😂😂

Would have been a bit harsh to make us play Croatia 2 days after we beat England. 

Yeah the other dates are correct. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It is possible for it to be a dead rubber (for Scotland anyway) if Croatia and England have 4 points, Czechs have 3 and we have 0. 

We’ll need at least a point from our first 2 games I think to guarantee the Croatia game means something. Even then we could be relying on other results going our way. 

Let’s just beat the Czechs and England and we can party against Croatia. 

So I take it if teams are level it goes on head-to-head rather than goal difference? If they scenario you mention happens we could beat Croatia in the last game and have 3 points and a better goal difference than the Czechs but they would have beaten us in the first game so would be third based on head-to-head...

3 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

So I take it if teams are level it goes on head-to-head rather than goal difference? If they scenario you mention happens we could beat Croatia in the last game and have 3 points and a better goal difference than the Czechs but they would have beaten us in the first game so would be third based on head-to-head...

Yeah, according to Wikipedia anyway. That’s normally how it works these days so I have no reason to doubt it. 

04604E8F-B541-4F85-980E-84AF9C44E0DA.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

😂😂😂

Would have been a bit harsh to make us play Croatia 2 days after we beat England. 

Yeah the other dates are correct. 

Funnily enough I did think the dates were a bit tight , just thought it was Scotland getting stitched up again 😁

To make matters worse I had to pay a non returnable deposit to The Ark . As though the ticket price wasnt high enough. Can i interest anyone in a table for Switzerland/ Turkey at a very attractive price of 10 quid ? 😬

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah, according to Wikipedia anyway. That’s normally how it works these days so I have no reason to doubt it. 

Rule 8 must be new is it? There was some bizarre drawing lots scenario before, if I remember correctly? 

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah the Euros uses head to head as the first tie breaker, whereas in the World Cup it's goal difference. 

Typically if head to head had been used in the World Cups we'd have qualified for the 2nd round in 74 and 78 😖

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

2pm on a Monday kick off, the dilemma of playing tournament football. 

Will need to make sure I'm WFH that day ;)

I’ve booked the day off. Lunch and pints in Bath. Then hooking up with a crew f Scots to watch the match in the pub. 
Haven't decided if it’s kilt or not. 

58 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Yeah the Euros uses head to head as the first tie breaker, whereas in the World Cup it's goal difference. 

Typically if head to head had been used in the World Cups we'd have qualified for the 2nd round in 74 and 78 😖

Hopefully it won’t work out that way this time. 

I’d rather go out by at least a point I think. 

Well I’d rather go through but you know what I mean. 

Edited by Texas Pete

2 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

I’ve booked the day off. Lunch and pints in Bath. Then hooking up with a crew f Scots to watch the match in the pub. 
Haven't decided if it’s kilt or not. 

It’s kilt. 

There, I’ve decided for you. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s kilt. 

There, I’ve decided for you. 

Lockdown may have a bit of a say in the whole decision. I’m circa a stone off my kilt weight. 

Thankfully I have my fatty wedding kilt in the loft to break out for such emergencies.

J

3 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Lockdown may have a bit of a say in the whole decision. I’m circa a stone off my kilt weight. 

Thankfully I have my fatty wedding kilt in the loft to break out for such emergencies.

J

😂😂😂

23 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

That rule was in place for Euro 2016 I think but hasn’t come into play yet. 

Definitely makes more sense mind, imagine going out on the toss of a coin? Doesn't bare thinking about, although it would've been a new way for Scotland to go out of a tournament 🤔

2 hours ago, todd said:

Definitely makes more sense mind, imagine going out on the toss of a coin? Doesn't bare thinking about, although it would've been a new way for Scotland to go out of a tournament 🤔

Aye penalty shoot outs are a horrible way to go out but much more preferable to a toss of a coin. At least you’ve got some sort of say in it. 

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye penalty shoot outs are a horrible way to go out but much more preferable to a toss of a coin. At least you’ve got some sort of say in it. 

Great way to qualify though eh? 😍😍

1 hour ago, todd said:

Great way to qualify though eh? 😍😍

😂😂😂

Well aye but I’d rather have beaten Israel and Serbia in 90 minutes. 

Can you imagine if we had lost one of they shoot outs? I’d still be greetin. 

A coin toss would’ve been worse though. Total farce if that happens to anyone next month. 

Edited by Texas Pete

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

😂😂😂

Well aye but I’d rather have beaten Israel and Serbia in 90 minutes. 

Can you imagine if we had lost one of they shoot outs? I’d still be greetin. 

A coin toss would’ve been worse though. Total farce if that happens to anyone next month. 

I agree with you to an extent but ultimately ,I think, had we seen the game out against Serbia and won 1-0 we'd obviously have been delirious but once the dust settled there may have been an air of, meh!

As it happened I think the biggest factor wasn't even the bottle shown in the penalty shootout but the bottle and mentality to see out the extra time when they must of, to a man, felt like they'd had their guts ripped out. Incredible team spirit, something that was sadly lacking in recent times.

1 hour ago, todd said:

I agree with you to an extent but ultimately ,I think, had we seen the game out against Serbia and won 1-0 we'd obviously have been delirious but once the dust settled there may have been an air of, meh!

As it happened I think the biggest factor wasn't even the bottle shown in the penalty shootout but the bottle and mentality to see out the extra time when they must of, to a man, felt like they'd had their guts ripped out. Incredible team spirit, something that was sadly lacking in recent times.

Yeah I just meant for me personally. My nerves were shredded on both of those nights. Winning the playoffs via penalty shoot outs, especially the Serbia one after losing a late equaliser, can only be good for the team. Especially if we need to face a shootout next month.