World Cup Every Two Years? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Every Two Years?

Caledonian Craig

According to this report FIFA are doing a feasibility study into holding the World Cup every two years:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57205872

I am not sure about that and it would surely spell the end of the European Championships too. I feel it will devalue it somewhat having the tournament every two years too. Thoughts?

It was hard enough qualifying for an extended EURO's, never mind a much smaller qualifying pool for the World Cup. 

It would devalue it slightly and even more countries and players would never play in an international tournament.

This is probably being driven by the other confederations and nations outside of UEFA. Their regional tournament/s don't have the appeal or make the make the money they would from a World Cup replacing these tournaments. The EURO's on the other hand have a lot of appeal and make a lot of money.

FIFA would also love to weaken UEFA.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

"Having fewer yet more meaningful competitive national team matches could potentially address concerns regarding player welfare whilst at the same time enhancing the value and merit of such competitions."

What does that mean. No shitty teams allowed.

Seem like the maybe inferring about Gabon and their players stuck in airport and the maleria. There is probably other situations similar to this in smaller and less professional nations. The problem is using that as an excuse doesn't wash when these teams would still be playing against the same teams in qualifying.

Or it could be about players going to COVID hotspots or unstable areas like Colombia atm. Which they would still be doing in qualifying games anyway.

The big games excuse doesn't work as you still get massive games from the EUROs, Copa America and get some good games from the African Cup of Nations. 

This is all about FIFA making money. Why wait 4 years for your big pay day, when you can do it every 2 years.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

According to this report FIFA are doing a feasibility study into holding the World Cup every two years:-

I am not sure about that and it would surely spell the end of the European Championships too. I feel it will devalue it somewhat having the tournament every two years too. Thoughts?

I doubt it would end the Euros as there would likely be uproar from the 30 odd European countries that have very little chance of reaching the World Cup finals. 

I have a feeling the feasibility study will conclude that it’s not feasible. 

30 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Seem like the maybe inferring about Gabon and their players stuck in airport and the maleria. There is probably other situations similar to this in smaller and less professional nations. The problem is using that as an excuse doesn't wash when these teams would still be playing against the same teams in qualifying.

Or it could be about players going to COVID hotspots or unstable areas like Colombia atm. Which they would still be doing in qualifying games anyway.

The big games excuse doesn't work as you still get massive games from the EUROs, Copa America and get some good games from the African Cup of Nations. 

This is all about FIFA making money. Why wait 4 years for your big pay day, when you can do it every 2 years.

Guess a 32 team world cup would have a lot more meaningful and competitive games than a 24 team Euro's

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Is the madness of that bent fruitcake Sepp Blatter still haunting the corridors of FIFA????

38 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

World Cup, then Euros, Copa America, Gold Cup, African Cup of Nations and I'm sure Auatraliasia has a regional international tournament also ever 4 years still? 

There is a Oceania one as well which also doubles as who goes to the playoff against the south American nation.

There is also a Carribbean one for the smaller nations in CONCAF.

The other African tournament with only players playing in African nations.

I'm sure there are numerous small Asian tournaments aswell.

If this happens, and I don't think it has got much chance for the reasons stated above then it would need global qualification, if counties like Gabon and Kuwait want to qualify then let them be the best team in qualifying up against a group of Germany, Scotland, China, Paraguay, Tunisia and New Zealand. Throw a Conacaf country in there is you want. 

Then you will have the best 32 / 48 teams in the finals, what a lot of people would like to see.

Might think they want it to keep the quotas though with the extra regionalised places.