Evolution of the Squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Evolution of the Squad

Guest Scot1

I’d imagine that Clarke will probably only tinker around the edges of the squad that qualified for the Euros. And fair play they were the ones who got us qualified, so it’s a fair reward for the work and effort that they put in. You could perhaps bring in Turnbull, Hickey and Gilmour at most. 
Going forward into the World Cup qualifiers after the Euros (hopefully the World Cup itself) and the next Nations Leagues and Euro qualifiers I’d think there will be some major changes in personnel. I know we have a number of young players at various clubs in Europe and down South(Feyenord, Bayern, Man City). And I’m not exactly sure of how many, what positions etc. But assuming we can produce a few good centre half’s. I’d like us to eventually switch to a back 4, and go 4-3-3

McCrorie/?

Paterson/?    ?      ?     Hickey/Tierney/Doig

McTominey  McGinn  Gilmour

Turnbull  Dykes/Nisbet/?   Johnson 

So I’m just trying to build a team but obviously I have ? in positions where I’m not sure of players who can fill the role or compete for the position. 

23 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’d imagine that Clarke will probably only tinker around the edges of the squad that qualified for the Euros. And fair play they were the ones who got us qualified, so it’s a fair reward for the work and effort that they put in. You could perhaps bring in Turnbull, Hickey and Gilmour at most. 
Going forward into the World Cup qualifiers after the Euros (hopefully the World Cup itself) and the next Nations Leagues and Euro qualifiers I’d think there will be some major changes in personnel. I know we have a number of young players at various clubs in Europe and down South(Feyenord, Bayern, Man City). And I’m not exactly sure of how many, what positions etc. But assuming we can produce a few good centre half’s. I’d like us to eventually switch to a back 4, and go 4-3-3

McCrorie/?

Paterson/?    ?      ?     Hickey/Tierney/Doig

McTominey  McGinn  Gilmour

Turnbull  Dykes/Nisbet/?   Johnson 

So I’m just trying to build a team but obviously I have ? in positions where I’m not sure of players who can fill the role or compete for the position. 

You have lost me on a few levels with this post, but I thought I'd pick you up on the fact you seem to have omitted Andy Robertson from the squad altogether...

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

You have lost me on a few levels with this post, but I thought I'd pick you up on the fact you seem to have omitted Andy Robertson from the squad altogether...

I know, I could’ve put Robertson in there as well. We have left back covered for the next 10 years at least. I’m just looking at how some of the young players will fit into a team in the coming years. 

Right back

Paterson/Ashby

But being honest how good does that potential  team look. If we can fill in the centre halve places, and have good quality outside the starting 11, it’s mouth watering

id imagine guys like Ferguson and McCrorie will  be in the squad, maybe Hornby. I’m not sure about Campbell yet, be interesting to see his development 

Edited by Scot1

We are still a bit thin up top, hopefully a few more Centre Forwards come to the fore in the next few years.

Johnston/Fraser

Edited by Scot1

12 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

if the answer to your question, or any question for that matter, is Paterson, then you are not asking the right question. 

Paterson at Rangers

17 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Ryan Fraser will be in the squad for a some years yet. So will Christie. Future looks pretty good in every position... apart from up front and goalkeeper where there isn’t much coming through.

Armstrong, McGregor, and some good young talent at Bayern, Man City that will hopefully come through.

Up front seems a problem and probably my biggest worry is the centre halve spots. If we can find centre halves that match the quality of the players of the other positions within  the team/squad, we could be entering a period of real resurgence of the national team

14 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Armstrong, McGregor, and some good young talent at Bayern, Man City that will hopefully come through.

Up front seems a problem and probably my biggest worry is the centre halve spots. If we can find centre halves that match the quality of the players of the other positions within  the team/squad, we could be entering a period of real resurgence of the national team

The players we have at Bayern and Man City aren't even regulars in their youth sides at these clubs yet so let's not hold a torch for them like we have done for the likes of Jack Harper in the past, they have a long long way to go. Had high hopes for Liam Morrison but looking through Bayern's u19 lineups he is never in them so don't know what's happened there. Barry Hepburn got injured in his second game or something unfortunately so hopefully he gets back soon. The boys at Man City seem to start now and again but then drop to the bench. Hope they all go on to match Gilmour though

57 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

The players we have at Bayern and Man City aren't even regulars in their youth sides at these clubs yet so let's not hold a torch for them like we have done for the likes of Jack Harper in the past, they have a long long way to go. Had high hopes for Liam Morrison but looking through Bayern's u19 lineups he is never in them so don't know what's happened there. Barry Hepburn got injured in his second game or something unfortunately so hopefully he gets back soon. The boys at Man City seem to start now and again but then drop to the bench. Hope they all go on to match Gilmour though

Personally I don't understand the excitement with having young players at bayern or man City youth set ups. Very few ever make it at top clubs. I would probably prefer them to get gametime at lower clubs like how Hickey has with bologna or even getting gametime in the spl/English championship.

Also not sure why ppl think Patterson is going to be a starter for us in the future. Guy has barely played professional football. Let's wait til see if he's any good first. 

All fair points, and I agree I’m probably jumping the gun here by including the likes of Patterson/Ashby. But because we lack depth in that position I’ve looked at players who could potentially fill that position. It my well be that Hickey might end up as our right-back in the years ahead.

With regards to the youth players at Man City and Bayern. Obviously I hope that they do eventually break through into their respective 1st team squads. But even if that isn’t the case you would hope that they have had a good education in the game and will still go on the be professionals playing at a high level wherever they end up after their time at Man City, Bayern is over. 
Still seems a bit of a quirk of fate that we don’t seem to produce centre halves of high quality anymore? Would really love to see some good young Scottish centre halves emerging over the next few years. Same with Centre Forward.

All the chat here is about bringing in in capped young guys. And I think they will be blooded in slowly.

What do you think about increasing the depth by asking Snoddy back, MacArthur, ?MacGregor? Ritchie? These guys are still playing at highest level.

Or even the championship guys, Bannon, Fletcher etc

Any others? 

Not as regulars but as back ups, remember we have at least 13 games next year...

14 minutes ago, Archiesdad said:

All the chat here is about bringing in in capped young guys. And I think they will be blooded in slowly.

What do you think about increasing the depth by asking Snoddy back, MacArthur, ?MacGregor? Ritchie? These guys are still playing at highest level.

Or even the championship guys, Bannon, Fletcher etc

Any others? 

Not as regulars but as back ups, remember we have at least 13 games next year...

I’m not adverse to calling up some of these players into the squad as “short-term fixes”, but to be honest I think most of them would struggle to make it into the present squad barring injuries and suspensions. But as you said we have a lot of games next year, so who knows? I’ve no problem with it if it’s good for the cause.