Memories Of Your First Scotland Game - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Memories Of Your First Scotland Game

kmcca5

My first game was v Iceland in 84 - 3-0 Scotland, McStay scored a peach from 30 yards.

I learned via the national team Facebook page that it was exactly 30 years ago this week.

Coincidentally I took my 6 year old lad to the Georgia game last week, which was his first Scotland game.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years I always believed my Dad never went to another football match after seeing Thistle beating Celtic 4 - 1 in the 1971 League Cup Final as he said it would never get any better. However, then I remembered this one; Scotland v Brazil 30th June 1974. We both had a love of Brazilian football, for me the magic of the 1970 World Cup has never really been surpassed. It was the first World Cup I can remember, in fact I don't even know who won it 1966, that just seemed like ancient history to me at the time.

Did I see much of the game? Not really, I'm sure we were North stand or terracing as it was then. I'm pretty sure I didn't see much of the game as we were sort of level with the pitch. Derek Johnstone scored the only goal, unfortunately it was for Brasil.

Edited by the Sunnylaw Jag

For years I always believed my Dad never went to another football match after seeing Thistle beating Celtic 4 - 1 in the 1971 League Cup Final as he said it would never get any better. However, then I remembered this one; Scotland v Brazil 30th June 1974. We both had a love of Brazilian football, for me the magic of the 1970 World Cup has never really been surpassed. It was the first World Cup I can remember, in fact I don't even know who won it 1966, that just seemed like ancient history to me at the time.

Did I see much of the game? Not really, I'm sure we were North stand or terracing as it was then. I'm pretty sure I didn't see much of the game as we were sort of level with the pitch. Derek Johnstone scored the only goal, unfortunately it was for Brasil.

Are you on drugs??

We played Brazil in Germany in WC 1974 and it finished 0-0, and it was in July 1974.

So you certainly did not see any of the game you describe.

We've played Brazil twice at Hampden - 1966 (1-1) and 1989 (0-2).

Edited by Barney Rubble

Anybody else want to tell this guy how much of a fud he is? Or shall I do it?

http://www.scotlandfootballstats.co.uk/match-details/30-jun-1973/scotland-brazil/

Agreed I'm a fud for having totally forgotten about that game, so my sincerest apologies for that.

But check the date you quote on your original post and you may find.........................

• 2 years later...
Guest MorayCupMan

Came across the programme of my first ever Scotland game the other day 

Scotland V Estonia at Tynecastle 3-2,Doddsy double, always thought it was a hatrick until i watched it again, worth watching for the commentary 

Edited by MorayCupMan

Guest MorayCupMan
2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Always remember watching that game ....without even watching it i remember leighton been on some form that day....

1 minute ago, MorayCupMan said:

Always remember watching that game ....without even watching it i remember leighton been on some form that day....

Arguably Leightons bets game in a Scotland shirt

15 minutes ago, MorayCupMan said:

Came across the programme of my first ever Scotland game the other day 

Scotland V Estonia at Tynecastle 3-2,Doddsy double, always thought it was a hatrick until i watched it again, worth watching for the commentary 

Jim Leighton's last game.

Guest MorayCupMan
4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Jim Leighton's best game. MOM without a doubt.

always mind it being a fairly uncomfortable watch after johns goal...

My first game was as 10 year-old vs Iceland in March 2003. Euro '04 qualifier. Can still remember being on the train back home, loving the singing and then some pished TA member gave me his Dairylea lunchables and his pals sang about him being a paedo the whole way home ha ha. Been at most home games ever since, give or take a few when I've been living abroad. Great memories to date.

Brazil at Hampden 1973 {I was 8 years old}, lost 1-0 a Derek Johnstone own goal.

Don't remember too much about the game to be honest, only my old man pointing out Rivelino and Jairzinho and how they were part of the greatest team ever to play, I think Pele had just retired from international football so unfortunately missed out in seeing the great man.

Also remember sh!tting myself at the massive crush to get on the train after the game.

25 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Brazil at Hampden 1973 {I was 8 years old}, lost 1-0 a Derek Johnstone own goal.

Don't remember too much about the game to be honest, only my old man pointing out Rivelino and Jairzinho and how they were part of the greatest team ever to play, I think Pele had just retired from international football so unfortunately missed out in seeing the great man.

Also remember sh!tting myself at the massive crush to get on the train after the game.

Four of the 1970 WC winning team played in that game.

Here's a wee tester for your long term memory. Who came on as sub for Kenny Dalglish - nae googling noo.

On 11/10/2014 at 9:11 AM, Toepoke said:

1978 v Bulgaria in a friendly. Nearly 70,000 there on a cold Wednesday night in February. McLeodmania was at its height!

I mind my first look at Hampden as we drove into the carpark "It's like a castle" I said. The menfolk laughed "It's as old as one inside too" they replied.

I'd just turned 8 and my faither wanted to make sure I could see ok so we tried to get in the Main Stand, but his mates could only get one ticket at the door. The old man managed to secure a lift over for us though. I had my own seat as there were two spare next to dad, but as the game kicked of they were occupied by Davie Sneddon & Walter McRae the Killie management team! So I had to sit on faither's knees, not comfy in that rickety old stand.

As for the game, Bulgaria scored early on, King Kenny equalised but I was gutted when the ref disallowed it as he'd already awarded a penalty which Archie Gemmill dispatched.

Late in the game the then relative new boy Graeme Souness went on a mazy which culminated in the winner scored by sub Ian Wallace.

I can remember the car journey back to Ayrshire. Eyes like saucers, too excited to sleep, desperate to do it all again...

That was my first game too.

TDYER63's boyfriend at school and his pals took me to the game. Remember being so excited on the train up from Paisley and walking to Hampden from Mount Florida. Even though at the time St. Mirren were regularly pulling 15000/20000 crowds, this was the biggest I'd ever experienced. I was in awe. It was bloody cold too but it didn't bother me. 

Only criticism of the night was that "Big Kenny" made us leave early to avoid the crowd and I missed Wallace's goal! 

ETA

:lol:

Didnae realise this was an old thread and I'd already responded 3 years ago!! 

Edited by Marky

Wembley 1969 I think - hooked from then on.

Even got some turf on the memorable "crossbar" day.

The " King" is still to be seen around Old Trafford on match day.