Gary Caldwell - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gary Caldwell

Damo

Having heard his radio Scotland interview last night i hadn't appreciated how bad his injury problems were.

He seemed to accept that his Scotland days were over and possibly his playing days are now limited due to inability to train on account of his hips.

I for one would like to pay tribute to him. Whatever you think of his ability nobody can deny he gave his all for his country. He never ducked out of squads when perhaps others took the easy way out.

Whilst fans often gave him pelters he was picked by every manager he was available to which perhaps indicates that people who know more about fitba than i do rated him.

He said he will now join us once again as a fan.

Anyway Gary Caldwell i salute you

Excellent player and fully committed to the cause. Just so frustrating as he clearly thought he could ping 60/70/80 yard balls at ease and continually tried, giving possession away mostly, although far more so in his younger days. Seemed to mature and keep it simple which made him a far better player. He had a couple of really good games for us in a holding midfield role which actually seemed to suit him.

A good player and we were the better for having him. A good guy as well by all accounts. Cheers Gary.

Edited by flynnyboy

Always gave 100% for Scotland. Very sad news if his playing days are over. A blast of one Gary Caldwell at the next Scotland game after he eventually hangs up his boots would be appropriate.

Having heard his radio Scotland interview last night i hadn't appreciated how bad his injury problems were.

He seemed to accept that his Scotland days were over and possibly his playing days are now limited due to inability to train on account of his hips.

I for one would like to pay tribute to him. Whatever you think of his ability nobody can deny he gave his all for his country. He never ducked out of squads when perhaps others took the easy way out.

Whilst fans often gave him pelters he was picked by every manager he was available to which perhaps indicates that people who know more about fitba than i do rated him.

He said he will now join us once again as a fan.

Anyway Gary Caldwell i salute you

I agree, was a total bombscare at the best of times but his commitment and attitude was second to none...

Never good when this happens to a player so all the best to him....2 stand-outs for me regarding him for Scotland were THAT goal against France and the other is when we played Lithuania a few years back at Hampden and seem to remember him being the last defender against 2 of their players as they were heading for our box, he basically stood ground and tall and won the tackle!

Never good when this happens to a player so all the best to him....2 stand-outs for me regarding him for Scotland were THAT goal against France and the other is when we played Lithuania a few years back at Hampden and seem to remember him being the last defender against 2 of their players as they were heading for our box, he basically stood ground and tall and won the tackle!

It was Caldwell that gave the ball away in the Lithuanian half. The last (only) defender was Steven Whittaker.

Caldwell was never a Beckenbauer but his commitment is beyond reproach. His winning goal against France at Hampden was a great moment but the one thing I wish Caldwell had done which he failed to do was banjo that arrogant fukker David Trezeguet when he slagged him off when France were 4-0 up in the Parc de Princes in 2002.