Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’m back in time for the Russia away match. I have to say, my prediction of losing 0-2 and 0-3 (Actual results: 1-2 and 0-4) wasn't all that bad, barring a couple of goals. At least I got the results right. I still say that Russia will beat us in the upcoming match 5-0. (If the pattern of an extra goal being scored continues then it’ll be 6-0)
The football international rankings is a bottomless pit, and with the help of the SFA, the Scotland team are sinking to lower and lower depths.

The SFA don't care about the Scotland football team, the managers, the players or the fans. They never have. They have a history of blatant disregard to anything regarding the Scotland national team if it means them investing money and effort. It's not a new thing, the SFA have been treating Scotland managers, players and fans with contempt for as long as they've been in existence:

During the World Cup in 1954 we were allowed a squad of 18 players, but we took 13 (two were goalkeepers), the rest of the plane was taken up by SFA committee members and their wives. Our boots and strips were from the 30’s. The tops were so heavy that Tommy Docherty said that he lost a couple of stone during the national anthem, the players were sweating that much.

During the World Cup in ’78 our players were holed in a hotel was wasn’t 100% built, the swimming pool wasn’t filled with water and the training ground resembled a tennis hard-court. Not only that, but when Willie Johnston got hauled over the coals and sent home for “drug abuse” (He took Reactivan, a hayfever medication) Instead of sticking by him, fighting tooth and nail and insisting that it was all an honest mix-up, and threatening FIFA with an ultimatum of “If Johnston goes home, we all do”, the SFA just watched from afar as Johnston was fed to the wolves and treated like a common criminal.

I was watching the documentary “Scotland 78: A love Story (I recorded it on TiVo a few months ago) -

The drop in standard of players from that era to now isn't worth thinking about, unless you want exasperation and depression to be on the menu. It's frightening.

Looking at club football. Why the hell is there four leagues? What is the point of having three leagues of ten and one league of twelve? For the life of me I'll never understand why our leagues are so small. If a league is small it pretty much makes every single match a must-win (Unless you're Celtic or Rangers), even for the likes of Aberdeen, three or four defeats in a row and you'll find yourself in a relegation battle. In such a pressure cooker environment managers are forced to look towards the lower English leagues for seasoned professionals rather than blooding untested and raw kids from their youth system. If leagues were bigger this would give managers more scope to bring kids through and give them game-time as not every match would be a six-pointer.

In Scottish football there should be a homegrown rule. Many other countries have one, it's typical of Scottish football that we're last in the queue. There should also be a limit of how many foreign players in match squads. I've debated this a while back and someone said that it was against the law and that it was discriminatory, etc. It's not against the law. It would only be against discriminatory law if zero foreigners were allowed in a match day squad. That isn't the case. Teams would be able to buy as many foreigners as they like, but they'd be obliged to play a limited amount. Again, not against the law. In the early-mid 90s there was a three foreigner rule in the European Cup, it wasn't abolished because of law, it was abolished because the bigger teams in Europe weren't happy with being handicapped by being restricted to playing a certain amount of foreign players.

The blame doesn't entirely fall at the door of the SFA, though. The clubs in Scotland have an odd philosophy. It’s like they’re living each day as it comes, irrespective of what tomorrow brings. If clubs in Scotland really invested in youth development it could be a goldmine. Just look at Ajax, in the 19/20 season they’ve brought in £185.1m from selling playing that have come through their youth system. Scottish teams have the capacity of doing this, if they work with their respective council, etc, they could quite easily follow the Ajax template. Hell, Celtic are loaded, they have the capacity and resources to be able to build their own facilities without the help of a council’s financial aid. 

But no, that would require progressive thinking and patience. “Why wait 10+ years to produce a player worth £50+m when we can bring in a player for £3m-£7m now”.
And don’t talk to me about Celtic producing Forrest, McGregor, Tierney. Those players, in today’s market, would probably fetch £65m between them? Ajax produce £65+m players.

instead of coaching their own, and creating a conveyor belt of superstars the other ten clubs would rather pay wages to some veteran from English league two, etc. And Celtic would rather spend tens of millions on foreign kids, because they don’t have the time to bring through their own, and besides, it’s beneath them… they once won the European Cup, you know.... Yep. Bringing through their own is own is good enough for Barcelona and Ajax, etc, but it’s beneath Celtic and Rangers. And yes, not leaving Rangers out of the narrative. Spending £7m on a player who Liverpool deem not good enough for them, that’s a shrewd piece of business.

The ONLY thing that the SFA have gotten right in their entire existence has been to introduce the performance schools. If the stories are true and they scrap them, I’m afraid it’s time to turn off the lights and lock the door. If they do close those Schools then I hope it would prompt the Tartan Army, en mass, to completely turn their backs on attending matches and purchasing merchandise. (I was going to say "completely turn their back on the Scotland national team, but no matter how bad it gets, I'll still support the team and the manager) The only way to get our message across and to show them how angry we are is by hitting them in the pocket. After attending matches since I was 14 years old I've decided that enough is enough. I'm not going to line the pockets of suits that don't care if we win, lose or draw.

The SFA have to go. What we need to do is create a footballing equivalent of Extinction rebellion and storm Hampden. Would it shut down Scottish football? Yes, but the end justifies the means. Who even cares about Scottish football anyway? I don't even bother to watch Sportscene anymore, never mind attending matches or watching matches on the TV. I'm done feeding the corrupt monsters of the SPL and the SFA. You could slip into a coma at the start of the SPL season, wake up at the end, and you'd know who wins the league. That isn't sport. Knowing the result of a sporting even before it begins is the defining of corruption. People will probably through "loyalty" at me for a reason why they attend matches. There's a thin line between being loyal and being a mug. And no, I'm not a "glory hunter", either. A glory hunting Scotland fan is a misnomer.

The suits who haunt Hampden should be sacked. Replaced by football people, a mix of people who have spent their lives in football and also progressive people. 

If some sort of change doesn't happen at the top, very soon, we're going to get worse. In football there is no bottomless pit, it just keeps dropping and dropping and dropping….

With all due respect to players like Forrest and Mulgrew and Jack and McGregor, etc, they are limited players and if everything was rosy, and the SFA actually did there job in the 90s, we'd be flush with top players and the aforementioned four wouldn't even make the bench. I'm not even going to mention calling up Gallagher and Shankland and looking at Dykes. But that's where we are. We've hit the lowest level that we've ever hit. It's gotten to the point where I'm expecting us to ship at least five against Russia and as far as San Marino go... I wouldn't be surprised if we draw it.

The SFA and Scottish domestic clubs have put their own self-interest before their fans. They've robbed this generation an opportunity of seeing Scotland participate at a top European or a World football event, as well as the Scotland fans who have passed away having never seen us compete in the most recent eleven tournaments. They've lost a generation of football fans, a generation who are either apathetic of the Scotland football team or they're just embarrassed by it.

I consider myself a part of the last generation of Scotland fans who will have witnessed (and be proud of) the Scotland national team compete at a European Championships and a World Cup. I was one of the lucky ones. I grew up and went to School during the years of Euro 96 and France 98. I feel for the younger generation of Scotland fan who have never experienced us go toe-to-toe with the likes of Brazil and England and Holland at a major football event and compete against them. I genuinely feel sorry the younger generation as they'll never, ever, see Scotland compete at the very top level. The fault lays squarely on the shoulders of the SFA and the domestic clubs.

In the past I've been accused of being negative. I'm not negative. I'm honest. Our domestic game is a joke, so much so that one of our most regular annual game is "Which tiny European team, that no one has heard of, will knock our teams out of the Qualifying stages for European football this year?". The SPL is a national disgrace, just this weekend Livingston played Celtic and played Rangers. The current market value of Livingston's players is £2.7m, opposed to the £57.3m of Celtic. Hamilton have a market value of £2m and Rangers have a value of £19.8. This imbalance is making Scottish football crumble.

The death of Scottish football is nigh.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, infamous said:

All valid points tbh. I don't think Russia will smash us though. They are missing quiet a few players that are key to them. 

I commend your optimism. :cheers3:

Russia could still finish top so I think they'll want to do as much damage as possible, for goal difference reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here here. 

 

Be good to appoint ex players in the SFA rather than the suits as you say. 

 

Can start with Paul Dickov and the Dogg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I’m back in time for the Russia away match. I have to say, my prediction of losing 0-2 and 0-3 (Actual results: 1-2 and 0-4) wasn't all that bad, barring a couple of goals. At least I got the results right. I still say that Russia will beat us in the upcoming match 5-0. (If the pattern of an extra goal being scored continues then it’ll be 6-0)
The football international rankings is a bottomless pit, and with the help of the SFA, the Scotland team are sinking to lower and lower depths.

The SFA don't care about the Scotland football team, the managers, the players or the fans. They never have. They have a history of blatant disregard to anything regarding the Scotland national team if it means them investing money and effort. It's not a new thing, the SFA have been treating Scotland managers, players and fans with contempt for as long as they've been in existence:

During the World Cup in 1954 we were allowed a squad of 18 players, but we took 13 (two were goalkeepers), the rest of the plane was taken up by SFA committee members and their wives. Our boots and strips were from the 30’s. The tops were so heavy that Tommy Docherty said that he lost a couple of stone during the national anthem, the players were sweating that much.

During the World Cup in ’78 our players were holed in a hotel was wasn’t 100% built, the swimming pool wasn’t filled with water and the training ground resembled a tennis hard-court. Not only that, but when Willie Johnston got hauled over the coals and sent home for “drug abuse” (He took Reactivan, a hayfever medication) Instead of sticking by him, fighting tooth and nail and insisting that it was all an honest mix-up, and threatening FIFA with an ultimatum of “If Johnston goes home, we all do”, the SFA just watched from afar as Johnston was fed to the wolves and treated like a common criminal.

I was watching the documentary “Scotland 78: A love Story (I recorded it on TiVo a few months ago) -

The drop in standard of players from that era to now isn't worth thinking about, unless you want exasperation and depression to be on the menu. It's frightening.

Looking at club football. Why the hell is there four leagues? What is the point of having three leagues of ten and one league of twelve? For the life of me I'll never understand why our leagues are so small. If a league is small it pretty much makes every single match a must-win (Unless you're Celtic or Rangers), even for the likes of Aberdeen, three or four defeats in a row and you'll find yourself in a relegation battle. In such a pressure cooker environment managers are forced to look towards the lower English leagues for seasoned professionals rather than blooding untested and raw kids from their youth system. If leagues were bigger this would give managers more scope to bring kids through and give them game-time as not every match would be a six-pointer.

In Scottish football there should be a homegrown rule. Many other countries have one, it's typical of Scottish football that we're last in the queue. There should also be a limit of how many foreign players in match squads. I've debated this a while back and someone said that it was against the law and that it was discriminatory, etc. It's not against the law. It would only be against discriminatory law if zero foreigners were allowed in a match day squad. That isn't the case. Teams would be able to buy as many foreigners as they like, but they'd be obliged to play a limited amount. Again, not against the law. In the early-mid 90s there was a three foreigner rule in the European Cup, it wasn't abolished because of law, it was abolished because the bigger teams in Europe weren't happy with being handicapped by being restricted to playing a certain amount of foreign players.

The blame doesn't entirely fall at the door of the SFA, though. The clubs in Scotland have an odd philosophy. It’s like they’re living each day as it comes, irrespective of what tomorrow brings. If clubs in Scotland really invested in youth development it could be a goldmine. Just look at Ajax, in the 19/20 season they’ve brought in £185.1m from selling playing that have come through their youth system. Scottish teams have the capacity of doing this, if they work with their respective council, etc, they could quite easily follow the Ajax template. Hell, Celtic are loaded, they have the capacity and resources to be able to build their own facilities without the help of a council’s financial aid. 

But no, that would require progressive thinking and patience. “Why wait 10+ years to produce a player worth £50+m when we can bring in a player for £3m-£7m now”.
And don’t talk to me about Celtic producing Forrest, McGregor, Tierney. Those players, in today’s market, would probably fetch £65m between them? Ajax produce £65+m players.

instead of coaching their own, and creating a conveyor belt of superstars the other ten clubs would rather pay wages to some veteran from English league two, etc. And Celtic would rather spend tens of millions on foreign kids, because they don’t have the time to bring through their own, and besides, it’s beneath them… they once won the European Cup, you know.... Yep. Bringing through their own is own is good enough for Barcelona and Ajax, etc, but it’s beneath Celtic and Rangers. And yes, not leaving Rangers out of the narrative. Spending £7m on a player who Liverpool deem not good enough for them, that’s a shrewd piece of business.

The ONLY thing that the SFA have gotten right in their entire existence has been to introduce the performance schools. If the stories are true and they scrap them, I’m afraid it’s time to turn off the lights and lock the door. If they do close those Schools then I hope it would prompt the Tartan Army, en mass, to completely turn their backs on attending matches and purchasing merchandise. (I was going to say "completely turn their back on the Scotland national team, but no matter how bad it gets, I'll still support the team and the manager) The only way to get our message across and to show them how angry we are is by hitting them in the pocket. After attending matches since I was 14 years old I've decided that enough is enough. I'm not going to line the pockets of suits that don't care if we win, lose or draw.

The SFA have to go. What we need to do is create a footballing equivalent of Extinction rebellion and storm Hampden. Would it shut down Scottish football? Yes, but the end justifies the means. Who even cares about Scottish football anyway? I don't even bother to watch Sportscene anymore, never mind attending matches or watching matches on the TV. I'm done feeding the corrupt monsters of the SPL and the SFA. You could slip into a coma at the start of the SPL season, wake up at the end, and you'd know who wins the league. That isn't sport. Knowing the result of a sporting even before it begins is the defining of corruption. People will probably through "loyalty" at me for a reason why they attend matches. There's a thin line between being loyal and being a mug. And no, I'm not a "glory hunter", either. A glory hunting Scotland fan is a misnomer.

The suits who haunt Hampden should be sacked. Replaced by football people, a mix of people who have spent their lives in football and also progressive people. 

If some sort of change doesn't happen at the top, very soon, we're going to get worse. In football there is no bottomless pit, it just keeps dropping and dropping and dropping….

With all due respect to players like Forrest and Mulgrew and Jack and McGregor, etc, they are limited players and if everything was rosy, and the SFA actually did there job in the 90s, we'd be flush with top players and the aforementioned four wouldn't even make the bench. I'm not even going to mention calling up Gallagher and Shankland and looking at Dykes. But that's where we are. We've hit the lowest level that we've ever hit. It's gotten to the point where I'm expecting us to ship at least five against Russia and as far as San Marino go... I wouldn't be surprised if we draw it.

The SFA and Scottish domestic clubs have put their own self-interest before their fans. They've robbed this generation an opportunity of seeing Scotland participate at a top European or a World football event, as well as the Scotland fans who have passed away having never seen us compete in the most recent eleven tournaments. They've lost a generation of football fans, a generation who are either apathetic of the Scotland football team or they're just embarrassed by it.

I consider myself a part of the last generation of Scotland fans who will have witnessed (and be proud of) the Scotland national team compete at a European Championships and a World Cup. I was one of the lucky ones. I grew up and went to School during the years of Euro 96 and France 98. I feel for the younger generation of Scotland fan who have never experienced us go toe-to-toe with the likes of Brazil and England and Holland at a major football event and compete against them. I genuinely feel sorry the younger generation as they'll never, ever, see Scotland compete at the very top level. The fault lays squarely on the shoulders of the SFA and the domestic clubs.

In the past I've been accused of being negative. I'm not negative. I'm honest. Our domestic game is a joke, so much so that one of our most regular annual game is "Which tiny European team, that no one has heard of, will knock our teams out of the Qualifying stages for European football this year?". The SPL is a national disgrace, just this weekend Livingston played Celtic and played Rangers. The current market value of Livingston's players is £2.7m, opposed to the £57.3m of Celtic. Hamilton have a market value of £2m and Rangers have a value of £19.8. This imbalance is making Scottish football crumble.

The death of Scottish football is nigh.

You need to get your hole, a hobby or something.

Every league in the world has big teams, England has two that can win it this year, Italy has 1.

As for your homegrown rule, I'd bet most, if not all Scottish Clubs would meet the criteria set out in England. Maybe not Rangers but rest would.

Why don't we just do the simple thing and go 5 at the back and we'll win the Euros?

Edited by Squirrelhumper
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You need to get your hole, a hobby or something.

Every league in the world has big teams, England has two that can win it this year, Italy has 1.

As for your homegrown rule, I'd bet most, if not all Scottish Clubs would meet the criteria set out in England. Maybe not Rangers but rest would.

Why don't we just do the simple thing and go 5 at the back and we'll win the Euros?

Nah.

That argument? Yes, but the "rest of the rest" in England, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc, aren't living on free transfers and getting knocked out of the ground stages of European competitions by teams that no one outside their home country has ever heard of. Teams like Chelsea and Man United and Valencia are winning European Trophies and getting to finals.

Look. We're in such a bad state that we need to put the ego away, be humble and put as many bodies behind the ball that we can. It's that simple. If you disagree, fine, you be delusional and think that we can actually win matches against half-decent teams playing with two league one/Championship/SPL center backs. Meanwhile, those of us who don't have our heads in the clouds, we'll think of other ways to bridge the gap.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You need to get your hole, a hobby or something.

Every league in the world has big teams, England has two that can win it this year, Italy has 1.

As for your homegrown rule, I'd bet most, if not all Scottish Clubs would meet the criteria set out in England. Maybe not Rangers but rest would.

Why don't we just do the simple thing and go 5 at the back and we'll win the Euros?

Also, that first line is rich coming from someone with almost 10k post to his name.

Here's an idea, why not read the post and only reply if you have anything constructive to add. Because really, the "Every league has big teams" is nothing but you being a sniveling apologist who is trying to defend the standards of Scottish football and justify the mugs filling the coffers of people that are killing Scottish football.

Celtic's XI were worth more than 21 times the Livingston XI. No other league on Earth has that kind of division. If you feel the need to come out and defend that gap then that's on you. Personally, I find it appalling and completely corrupt.

What are you going to say next? That Livingston won? Yeah, well, I hope they enjoy it, as they won't beat Celtic for the next twenty or so years.

And, the opening post was 2k words, mate. If you consider 2k words to be a lot then maybe you have more problems than you think. My average email is more than 2k. 

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Also, that first line is rich coming from someone with almost 10k post to his name.

Here's an idea, why not read the post and only reply if you have anything constructive to add. Because really, the "Every league has big teams" is nothing but you being a sniveling apologist who is trying to defend the standards of Scottish football and justify the mugs filling the coffers of people that are killing Scottish football.

Celtic's XI were worth more than 21 times the Livingston XI. No other league on Earth has that kind of division. If you feel the need to come out and defend that gap then that's on you. Personally, I find it appalling and completely corrupt.

What are you going to say next? That Livingston won? Yeah, well, I hope they enjoy it, as they won't beat Celtic for the next twenty or so years.

And, the opening post was 2k words, mate. If you consider 2k words to be a lot then maybe you have more problems than you think. My average email is more than 2k. 

You were doing so well until you reverted back into the narcissistic pish at the end there that you simply cannot help. 

Edited by WCTA
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

 

In Scottish football there should be a homegrown rule. Many other countries have one, it's typical of Scottish football that we're last in the queue. There should also be a limit of how many foreign players in match squads. I've debated this a while back and someone said that it was against the law and that it was discriminatory, etc. It's not against the law. It would only be against discriminatory law if zero foreigners were allowed in a match day squad. That isn't the case. Teams would be able to buy as many foreigners as they like, but they'd be obliged to play a limited amount. Again, not against the law. In the early-mid 90s there was a three foreigner rule in the European Cup, it wasn't abolished because of law, it was abolished because the bigger teams in Europe weren't happy with being handicapped by being restricted to playing a certain amount of foreign players.
 

It is against the law, just because you'd like to see something like that implemented doesn't mean it's not.  You're not the Court of Session, UK Supreme Court or European Court of Justice.

No amount of bluster, sticking your head in the sand or downright stubbornness will change the fact that you are wrong in this respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, aaid said:

It is against the law, just because you'd like to see something like that implemented doesn't mean it's not.  You're not the Court of Session, UK Supreme Court or European Court of Justice.

No amount of bluster, sticking your head in the sand or downright stubbornness will change the fact that you are wrong in this respect.

I'm not going round this circle again.

It's not against the law because you're not denying players a wage. Now, if you weren't paying them, then it would be against the law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

 

Look. We're in such a bad state that we need to put the ego away, be humble and put as many bodies behind the ball that we can. It's that simple. If you disagree, fine, you be delusional and think that we can actually win matches against half-decent teams playing with two league one/Championship/SPL center backs. Meanwhile, those of us who don't have our heads in the clouds, we'll think of other ways to bridge the gap.

Forgot all these EPL players that Wales, Iceland and NI have.

Silly me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, aaid said:

It is against the law, just because you'd like to see something like that implemented doesn't mean it's not.  You're not the Court of Session, UK Supreme Court or European Court of Justice.

No amount of bluster, sticking your head in the sand or downright stubbornness will change the fact that you are wrong in this respect.

He'd argue black was white.

Somebody should do him a favour and admit him to Ailsa.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'm not going round this circle again.

It's not against the law because you're not denying players a wage. Now, if you weren't paying them, then it would be against the law.

Nor am I - you are fundamentally wrong in what you are saying.   Just because you pay someone is irrelevent, denying someone the opportunity for advancement within work because of their nationality - or any other protected characteristic - is discriminatory and therefore illegal.  I've pointed out the relevant government documentation that states this clearly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He'd argue black was white.

Somebody should do him a favour and admit him to Ailsa.

A phrase that I haven't heard for years and I doubt means much to many outwith Ayrshire. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Forgot all these EPL players that Wales, Iceland and NI have.

Silly me.

Wales have players at Man United, Juventus, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc. 

The main thing that Wales and NI have over us is in the central defensive position: Ashley Williams and Jonny Evans. We have to juggle between Gallagher and Mulgrew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Nor am I - you are fundamentally wrong in what you are saying.   Just because you pay someone is irrelevent, denying someone the opportunity for advancement within work because of their nationality - or any other protected characteristic - is discriminatory and therefore illegal.  I've pointed out the relevant government documentation that states this clearly.

You aren't denying anyone, anything. In football only 11 players can play per match. If what you're saying was true, about "denying the opportunity of advancement at work", then it would be happening every single week, regardless of nationality.

It would only be against the law if it was a blanket ban on all foreigners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He'd argue black was white.

Somebody should do him a favour and admit him to Ailsa.

Aye, alright, Mr "Get your hole". :huh:

If that is honestly your response to a post that outlines the historical failings of Scottish football then maybe you're actually talking about yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Aye, alright, Mr "Get your hole". :huh:

If that is honestly your response to a post that outlines the historical failings of Scottish football then maybe you're actually talking about yourself.

Cheers for taking the time to do that. 

Nobody on here had a clue about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

You aren't denying anyone, anything. In football only 11 players can play per match. If what you're saying was true, about "denying the opportunity of advancement at work", then it would be happening every single week, regardless of nationality.

It would only be against the law if it was a blanket ban on all foreigners.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

I'll make it simple.   You can only play one goalkeeper at any time in a game but in case the one playing gets injured or sent off, you'll generally have another on the bench.  Most clubs will also have at least one more goalkeeper in the squad.

The manager will select a goalkeeper to play, normally that will be the usual first choice or perhaps in a less important game, it might be the back-up keeper to give him some game time.   There's nothing wrong with that at all.   The manager makes the decision purely on the basis of who is the best player for that game.  

If however, the manager says to the goalkeeper, I'm not going to pick you because you're French and not Scottish and I've already got too many foreign players in the side, then it's clearly discriminatory.

The relevant legislation is section 13 (1) of the Equality Act 2010 which states :
 

Quote

A person (A) discriminates against another (B) if, because of a protected characteristic, A treats B less favourably than A treats or would treat others.

Note that it doesn't say that treating someone less favourably is okay as long as you pay them.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, aaid said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

I'll make it simple.   You can only play one goalkeeper at any time in a game but in case the one playing gets injured or sent off, you'll generally have another on the bench.  Most clubs will also have at least one more goalkeeper in the squad.

The manager will select a goalkeeper to play, normally that will be the usual first choice or perhaps in a less important game, it might be the back-up keeper to give him some game time.   There's nothing wrong with that at all.   The manager makes the decision purely on the basis of who is the best player for that game.  

If however, the manager says to the goalkeeper, I'm not going to pick you because you're French and not Scottish and I've already got too many foreign players in the side, then it's clearly discriminatory.

The relevant legislation is section 13 (1) of the Equality Act 2010 which states :
 

Note that it doesn't say that treating someone less favourably is okay as long as you pay them.
 

Mate, are you the person who I did this with last time? If so, we went through all this last time.

You didn't get the last word then and you won't now.

Show the legislation where it states that football players are obliged to participate in every match/minute for the club who bought them. Sporting law is different from regular law and you know it.

As I said, we went through this a few months ago and I think I won then. In fact, I'm sure of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Mate, are you the person who I did this with last time? If so, we went through all this last time.

You didn't get the last word then and you won't now.

Show the legislation where it states that football players are obliged to participate in every match/minute for the club who bought them. Sporting law is different from regular law and you know it.

As I said, we went through this a few months ago and I think I won then. In fact, I'm sure of it. 

You definitely didn't - in your own mind perhaps, in reality not.

I'm not saying - and never have said - that every player has to participate in every match for every minute for their club.  

What I am saying is at if you don't select a player on the basis of their nationality then that's discriminatory. The relevant legislation is the equality act as stated above.  

You seem to think it's okay so long as you pay them.  Wrong.  

You seem to think "Sporting Law" - whatever that might be - exists outside of and is superior to the actual law.  Wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aaid said:

You definitely didn't - in your own mind perhaps, in reality not.

I'm not saying - and never have said - that every player has to participate in every match for every minute for their club.  

What I am saying is at if you don't select a player on the basis of their nationality then that's discriminatory. The relevant legislation is the equality act as stated above.  

You seem to think it's okay so long as you pay them.  Wrong.  

You seem to think "Sporting Law" - whatever that might be - exists outside of and is superior to the actual law.  Wrong.

 

We can go back to it if you want, you're the one that left the conversation.

(Kinda busy now so I'm not completely engaged)

That's the thing, though, a player wouldn't be denied selection on the basis of his nationality. There's a limited amount of spots that oversees players to claim, if they don't claim them then it's either down to the manager or because said player hasn't done well I training before the match or he just isn't good enough. It would be a different case if the first XI was the exact same for every single match of the season, but that's unlikely.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...