Robertson Receives Martin Praise - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Robertson Receives Martin Praise

Al2014

Good article here

Canaries captain Martin has taken a keen interest in the former Dundee United full-back since he was first called up to Gordon Strachan's squad for the Poland friendly in March.

Just nine months after leaving behind his amateur status with Queen's Park, the 20-year-old defender was making his international bow in Warsaw as the Scots claimed a 1-0 win.

And the impression he made on Martin was so deep that the centre-half urged the Norwich back-room staff to make a bid.

It was Hull, however, to win the race to sign the promising United youngster with a £2.85million bid and he has has already fulfilled some of the potential Martin spotted with a string of impressive early-season displays

Speaking ahead of Scotland's Euro 2016 qualifier with Georgia on Saturday, Martin said: "Andy has done great. I actually told our assistant manager at Norwich last year that he should sign him after seeing him in one session up here.

"I told him that he looked a fantastic player and had a few clubs in the Premier League chasing him, which was no real surprise.

"He has adapted to the league down there brilliantly after signing for Hull.

"A lot of players just need a chance in that league and that is the hardest thing, getting there. Once you get there you can shine and Andy has done that.

"He is playing with some international players that have been in the Premier League for a long time and that will only help to bring him on.

"It's a great start for him. I've just been speaking to him there, he's a fantastic lad - really down to earth. I'm sure he will go onto bigger and better things."

The PFA Scotland young player of the month missed the Group D opener with Germany through injury but is likely to replace Martin's Carrow Road colleague Steven Whittaker at left-back.

And after watching Robertson tee up Tigers team-mate Mohamed Diame to score Hull's opener in Saturday's 2-0 win over Crystal Palace with a pin-point cross from the left, Martin would not be surprised to see him performing a crucial role in Scotland's attacks as they search for their first qualifying win.

"He is going to be a big player for Scotland in future years and possibly now," said Martin.

"He loves to get down that flank and has got a great delivery. That is a strength of his. Maybe at home, he could be really important for us."

Aston Villa right-back Alan Hutton, Martin and Blackburn's Grant Hanley are likely to make up the rest of the Scotland back four.

Two-cap Robertson apart, it is an experienced line-up and Martin is growing especially comfortable with Hanley as his partner in the centre of defence.

"It's been good," he said. "We were given our chance against Croatia away when no-one really fancied us and we've built from there.

"I enjoy playing with Grant. We are different players but complement each other well. We just seem to work and it has got stronger and stronger.

"We both captain our club sides and like to organise things at the back. So that makes things easier.

"Granty loves defending. He's a real one-on-one defender. He's strong and he's quicker than a lot of people think.

"He's powerful and likes to attack the ball, so I like to go in behind him and sweep up after him, so I think it works quite well."