The current pool - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The current pool

andyD

On 2/21/2019 at 4:33 PM, andyD said:

Seems a bit harsh. 1st choice defender for a Championship side who are comfortably mid-table, and he's racked up 8 league goals so far this season. That makes him the highest scoring defender in the league by a distance. For comparison, he's played a similar number of minutes to Fletch, but scored 3 more goals than him.. and kept 9 clean sheets in 33 for a newly promoted side. For what it's worth, WhoScored has him in the top 50 players in the Championship.

No part of that suggests that he's washed up or on the way down. The only thing I can see which is against him is that he'll be 33 soon, but if the performances are still there, then...

Okay a I was bit extreme about mulgrew. Bates mulgrew and mckenna is decent options. 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:46 AM, er yir macaroon said:

With the exception of Hutton and Anya that team has zero pace. I think the players on the near horizon and some already in the team will be better than those.

I would hope so too, it was more a comparison with Pasta's post about the level our current players are at. A lot of them are under 25 and not far of premiership standard with one or two in the premiership already better than all the players in that team.

On 2/21/2019 at 4:32 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Picked a totally random decent result from the last few years and thought of the team against Croatia in the 2-0 win 5 and a half years ago.

1McGregor

2Hutton

4Martin

5Hanley

3Mulgrew

6Bannan Substituted for Burke at 89'minutes

7Brown

8Morrison Booked at 55mins

11Anya Substituted for Dorransat 77'minutes

10Snodgrass Substituted for McArthurat 82'minutes

9Naismith

Totally random and at far higher level with Adam and Boyd both in the EPL and on the bench I wouldn't mind seeing those two together now.

Celtic were in the champions league that year with hardly a Scotsman in the squad so unless the SPL and championship have improved somewhat  are we really in a better state?

We are basically saying young with potential is the reason for all this optimism or that a couple of very good players can carry the rest

In my opinion, there are only 2 players in that starting lineup who we don't have an equal or better option for in our current squad; Hutton and Brown. That's cause for optimism in my books. 

I'm not so sure about lack of depth, going by my recent squad we could send out two decent sides.. 

McGregor

Tierney.   Bates.  McKenna   Robertson

McGinn.     McGregor

Forrest            Armstrong.          Fraser

Fletcher

Bain

O'Donnell.   Souttar.   Mulgrew.   Douglas

McTominay.    Fleck

Snodgrass.          Christie.        Burke

McBurnie

13 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I'm not so sure about lack of depth, going by my recent squad we could send out two decent sides.. 

McGregor

McGinn.     McGregor

Fletcher

Bain

McTominay.    Fleck

McBurnie

It’s very promising. Don’t get me wrong there’s almost a team there that are very to prove they are good enough for international football but regardless of injuries we could be able to put out a competitive 11. And all things going well we should be able to pick a team with pace. 

Harry Souttar is meant to be doing well on loan at Fleetwood.

Whilst I am dead against picking League 1 players, a successful loan at Fleetwood should give him a chance at breaking into the Stoke team next season.

He is a player that could reach a good level and be a good option for us. 

4 hours ago, bazmidd said:

McGregor

McGinn.     McGregor

Fletcher

Bain

McTominay.    Fleck

McBurnie

I would have Paterson in both of the teams, one at right back and one as an attacking midfielder.

4 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Anyone seen much of the lad Byers at swansea? Reading an article that he’s desperate to get picked for Scotland and by all accounts has had a good season in the English championship. 

Unless he has been injured he hasn't really played much this season.