New Scotland Captain - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New Scotland Captain

bazmidd

Bit surprised. Never really seen him as a captain, but fair enough.
It feels like a bit of a symptom of McLeish not knowing what his side is tho.

If McDonald's gonna play he's been a regular captain for Fulham for years. Same can be said for Shinnie at Aberdeen and Mulgrew at Blackburn. All regular captains.

Perhaps we read between the lines and assume none of them are in McLeish's starting line up.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Bit surprised. Never really seen him as a captain, but fair enough.
It feels like a bit of a symptom of McLeish not knowing what his side is tho.

If McDonald's gonna play he's been a regular captain for Fulham for years. Same can be said for Shinnie at Aberdeen and Mulgrew at Blackburn. All regular captains.

Perhaps we read between the lines and assume none of them are in McLeish's starting line up.

Well I would say none of them are guaranteed starters whereas Robertson is. Robertson leads by example and is also a regular starter for one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's a no brainer when you think about it

24 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Well I would say none of them are guaranteed starters whereas Robertson is. Robertson leads by example and is also a regular starter for one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's a no brainer when you think about it

I would say it was between him and Tierney as they are probably the only two definite starters, if fit.

If it was up to me Griffiths would start every game as well. But I wouldn't trust him with the coin toss never mind any of the other captain's duties.

I think it really is between Robertson and Tierney. They have both shown great attitudes to go with their fantastic ability. I think they would both do a really great job with the captain's armband on, but I'd give it to Robbo (at least until Tierney finally moves* to a league that really tests his game).

*I'm not saying the Scottish Permiership is terrible. I'm not saying Celtic aren't a big club. I admire his passion for, and devotion to, his boyhood team, but I'm just desperate to see if he could succeed the same way as Robbo at a potential Champion's League-winning club. 

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Might see a bit of a generation gap thing here, but captains should be organised ,experienced, central on park and able to kick ass. Robertson might be our best player but I don't know if he is captain material at 24.

Pretty sure  Cairney that has been captain at Fullham more often than Macdonald, 

Darren Fletcher wasn't captain of Man Utd and I doubt anyone would cast aspersions on how he carried out his duties as Scotland captain.   At international level you should really have multiple "captains" on the field anyway, to get to the point where you're playing International football you should have something about yourself.

The most important things are that they have the respect of both the squad and the management team and also that they are going to basically be guaranteed picks for the team as dropping your captain is a bit of a no-no.

It probably suggests that McLeish has in his mind that involves playing both Robertson and Tierney - who are probably the best outfield players we have - and it also suggests that Mulgrew will probably be eased out of centre back over the next 18 months or so.  

4 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I think it really is between Robertson and Tierney. They have both shown great attitudes to go with their fantastic ability. I think they would both do a really great job with the captain's armband on, but I'd give it to Robbo (at least until Tierney finally moves* to a league that really tests his game).

*I'm not saying the Scottish Permiership is terrible. I'm not saying Celtic aren't a big club. I admire his passion for, and devotion to, his boyhood team, but I'm just desperate to see if he could succeed the same way as Robbo at a potential Champion's League-winning club. 

Tierney is only 21 to be fair. I doubt he’ll stay at Celtic for his whole career. 

21 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Pretty sure  Cairney that has been captain at Fullham more often than Macdonald,  

Aye, it's about 15 to 30 McDonald to Cairney last season.

But Cairney's pulled out, so.. hard to make him captain.