Human Origins - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We are all hybrids. I am convinced that men and women are different species.

One of the main drivers in evolution are mistakes. It can be mistakes in DNA copying or in this case mistakes in what species an animal decides to copulate with. Who knows the next big evolutionary change might come about because of the habits of certain fitba fans from up north.

will take a second look at my bacon roll next time. Interesting idea.

Just an aside but that is the meat that tastes most like human flesh (I am informed) and it is also why they selected these particular animals for exposure to atomic bomb blasts as its skin is most similar to ours.

If the Daily Mail covered it, it must be true then. Their record for scientific accuracy in journalism is second to none.

With respect you are talking pish. Creationism?! WTF are you talking about? Bizarre.

edit:no spoilers please.

It's a quite obvious attempt to deny evolution by creating an alternative paradigm which doesn't require extended time periods. The whole set up of the article feels like an attempt to reach a particular conclusion by fitting the research to the outcome rather than the other way round, so it's pseudoscience.

It's a quite obvious attempt to deny evolution...

Wow. Keep digging there Biffer.

ps who said it was true? I said it was interesting. It is also well written and well researched and it presents a fascinating hypothesis. Being a scientist I would have thought you could have grasped all this without me having to explain it. Personally I suspect you shot from the hip, made a fool out of yourself with the creationism rubbish and now are trying to save face.

Well reading the article he cites the 200,000 year record of our current biological integrity and human ancestors dating to 6 million years ago, so an actual reading of the text in the context of creationism seems really obviously not compatible at all, although reading the full texts is required to make that discovery.

The guy is actually trying bolster the theory of evolution by explaining certain anomalies. Took me several hours to read it at more than one sitting and at no point does creationism feature. Total rubbish from Biffer I am afraid to say.

here's his oxford university press book on the hybridization of birds

"Handbook of Avian Hybrids of the World is the most comprehensive source of information on hybridization in birds. It is not only a reliable reference for the professional, but also a treasure trove of information for the serious birder. No other book on the topic approaches it in either scope or utility."

handbook-of-avian-hybrids-of-the-world-2

Other than the main hypothesis I found the technique for identify the hybrid fascinating.. First take out all the attributes we have in common with Chimpanzees and then look for all those uncommon attributes left over in one other animal.

The theory is so outlandish at first glance yet he meticulously builds the case for it and by the end I was convinced, almost.

It is a very interesting read even if you cannot accept his theory. Even if he is just taking the pish it is brilliant.

One thing I think is interesting about this, is that he is talking about hybrids which come about from interbreeding between different species. As a geneticist, I would have thought such concepts would be fairly meaningless to him. Separating life forms into different species has been a fairly arbitrary division done by generations of scientists over the years because it helps them to classify things. I think advances in genetics will totally redefine how we classify living things in the future.

We are all hybrids. I am convinced that men and women are different species.

Same species, different gender. (No need to look too deep. Keep it simple.)

It's a quite obvious attempt to deny evolution by creating an alternative paradigm which doesn't require extended time periods. The whole set up of the article feels like an attempt to reach a particular conclusion by fitting the research to the (pre-determined) outcome rather than the other way round, so it's pseudoscience.

Funnily enough, that's what proponents of evolution has always done.

Other than the main hypothesis I found the technique for identify the hybrid fascinating.. First take out all the attributes we have in common with Chimpanzees and then look for all those uncommon attributes left over in one other animal.

The theory is so outlandish at first glance yet he meticulously builds the case for it and by the end I was convinced, almost.

It is a very interesting read even if you cannot accept his theory. Even if he is just taking the pish it is brilliant.

That's how satan works. It's all brilliant pish… " …the father of lies… " John 8:44

How did you jump straight to creationism? That never even entered my head.

Nor mine.

One thing I think is interesting about this, is that he is talking about hybrids which come about from interbreeding between different species. As a geneticist, I would have thought such concepts would be fairly meaningless to him. Separating life forms into different species has been a fairly arbitrary division done by generations of scientists over the years because it helps them to classify things. I think advances in genetics will totally redefine how we classify living things in the future.

I don't know of an example of two different species (kinds) being able to reproduce.

(I do agree that folk having different definitions and changing definitions only add to the confusion.)

Edited by Scotty CTA

One of the main drivers in evolution are mistakes. It can be mistakes in DNA copying or in this case mistakes in what species an animal decides to copulate with. Who knows the next big evolutionary change might come about because of the habits of certain fitba fans from up north.

Of the countless billions upon billions of beneficial 'mistakes' needed for the impossibility of evolution to be true, could you please just name one?