Where are they now? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tartacus

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

Agree, I think he will need to have a really stand out season next season to be within a sniff, but as you said, there is just far to many players coming through at the moment and still a few established players not moved on yet for him to get a chance for a look.

Can he play right back at all? ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Well, you look at the list ahead of him..
For starters:
Brown, Morrison, Cairney, Armstrong, Adam, Bannan, McGinn, Dorrans, Bryson, McLean

Then in a few years (i.e. by the time he might have actually proven himself against half decent opposition) then it's likely other (and younger) players will have come thru and be staking their claims:
Jay Fulton, Ryan Gauld, Conor McGrandles, Liam Henderson, Billy Gilmour , Jack Harper, to name a few.

The gap between the english Championship and League One is probably one of the biggest in football. There's zero money in League One, and a lot in the Championship. Fleck's Sheffield United side look like being League One champions, while last seasons champions, Wigan, are pretty much down already.

Next season we can start to judge Fleck, as he'll be playing against actual professional footballers, but I'll be very surprised if he and his club don't struggle badly and are either down or fighting relegation this time next year. In 2 years he'll probably be hack scoring 'messi goals' against nobodies who can't do the basics of the game. I hope he proves me wrong, I didn't expect Paul Hartley to be as important to the national side as he was for a while there, so it's not impossible. Just doesn't seem very likely.

Still harsh in your theory. If he, like any other mid 20s player, has an outstanding 6 months (e.g. best in the Championship) he'll be in contention. That said, I doubt if anyone will shift Armstrong from the central attacking midfield position anytime soon.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Well, you look at the list ahead of him..
For starters:
Brown, Morrison, Cairney, Armstrong, Adam, Bannan, McGinn, Dorrans, Bryson, McLean

Then in a few years (i.e. by the time he might have actually proven himself against half decent opposition) then it's likely other (and younger) players will have come thru and be staking their claims:
Jay Fulton, Ryan Gauld, Conor McGrandles, Liam Henderson, Billy Gilmour , Jack Harper, to name a few.

The gap between the english Championship and League One is probably one of the biggest in football. There's zero money in League One, and a lot in the Championship. Fleck's Sheffield United side look like being League One champions, while last seasons champions, Wigan, are pretty much down already.

Next season we can start to judge Fleck, as he'll be playing against actual professional footballers, but I'll be very surprised if he and his club don't struggle badly and are either down or fighting relegation this time next year. In 2 years he'll probably be hack scoring 'messi goals' against nobodies who can't do the basics of the game. I hope he proves me wrong, I didn't expect Paul Hartley to be as important to the national side as he was for a while there, so it's not impossible. Just doesn't seem very likely.

I agree we shouldn't reward league one form with call ups.

That being said he should be very closely watched next season and if he performs in the championship (In England) then he will be looked at.

Jordan Archer is in the same boat & Another who should be on the radar next season.

On 12/04/2017 at 2:53 PM, er yir macaroon said:

Still harsh in your theory. If he, like any other mid 20s player, has an outstanding 6 months (e.g. best in the Championship) he'll be in contention. That said, I doubt if anyone will shift Armstrong from the central attacking midfield position anytime soon.

You reckon so? Craig Bryson racked up 16 goals, 14 assists in the 2012/13 season and has to this day only played 84 minutes of international football, all in friendlies. Cairney's been a solid Championship performer for a while now and is only just getting a call. If Fleck was a right back, or a center back or a striker, then I'd probably agree, 6 months of outstanding play in the championship would probably be enough to force your way into squads and get minutes. Midfield is a bit of a different animal for us, it's somewhere we're got a lot of proven depth already.

3 hours ago, andyD said:

You reckon so? Craig Bryson racked up 16 goals, 14 assists in the 2012/13 season and has to this day only played 84 minutes of international football, all in friendlies. Cairney's been a solid Championship performer for a while now and is only just getting a call. If Fleck was a right back, or a center back or a striker, then I'd probably agree, 6 months of outstanding play in the championship would probably be enough to force your way into squads and get minutes. Midfield is a bit of a different animal for us, it's somewhere we're got a lot of proven depth already.

Yes, we do have quality. Bryson was tied and found wanting, Cairney has been given a chance. If Fleck plays to a high level next season, he'll be given a chance and then judged.

On 05/04/2017 at 0:34 PM, Bino's said:

Celtic very guilty of not giving developing talent a chance

FINAL LINE UP

GK 1 Andrew McNeil (Hibs)

RB 2 Andrew Cave-Brown (Norwich)

CB 6 Scott Cuthbert (c) (Celtic)

CB 19 Jamie Adams (Killie)

LB 3 Lee Wallace (Hearts)

RM 7 Simon Ferry (Celtic)

CM 16 Greg Cameron  (Dundee Utd)

CM 4 Charles Grant (Celtic)

CM 15 Ryan Conroy  (Celtic)

LM 10 Michael McGlinchey (Celtic)

CF 8 Calum Elliot (Hearts)

Substitutes:

GK 12 Scott Fox (Celtic)

DF 18 Mark Reynolds (Motherwell)

DF 5 Garry Kenneth (Dundee Utd)

MF 17 Brian Gilmour  (Rangers)

FW 14 Graham Dorrans (Livi)

I wouldn't label Celtic guilty in failing to develop the trio of Charlie Grant, Simon Ferry and Scott Cuthbert. 

All three it's true were very talented young players (Charlie Grant especially - he was labelled "the next Neil Lennon") but unfortunately all three suffered some horrendous injuries that kept them out for very long periods of time. Grant's injuries were deeply serious and after a brief spell at East Stirlingshire he had to quit football altogether circa 2009/2010 on medical advice. Ferry and Cuthbert recovered but weren't the same players thereafter, they have however had respectable careers otherwise. 

Ferry made over one hundred and fifty league appearances for Swindon Town and is now at Peterhead. Cuthbert has made over two hundred and fifty league appearances in English league football for Swindon, Leyton Orient and is currently at Luton Town.