France v Spain - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

France v Spain

Ref consulting an official who is watching a video replay, only just turned it on, but looks like they have over turned a goal, as the player was actually offside, and given a goal where the linesman flagged for offside.

Be interesting if it gets rolled out to more games.

17 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Ref consulting an official who is watching a video replay, only just turned it on, but looks like they have over turned a goal, as the player was actually offside, and given a goal where the linesman flagged for offside.

Be interesting if it gets rolled out to more games.

Both wrong decisions then corrected by video replay. Delay was about 30 secs which is nothing (and sometimes less than queues of players complaining to a ref). This should have been introduced years ago.

Dickhead commentators about the 2nd decision which overruled the incorrect offside to give the goal. Basically saying it's a shame for the goalscorer because he couldn't really celebrate and had to wait 30 secs before the goal was given. WTF If it hadn't been for the 30 sec video ref delay it wouldn't have been given as a goal. And I think the ability to celebrate is marginally less important than the correct/fair scoreline.

Paul Ince now added the same crap. Saying it took the passion out of the game ? 2 wrong decisions corrected in 60 secs total which he says is too long. Knob. 

Paul Ince is a 'passionate pro', thinks wrong decisions are part of the game, and should be accepted. :wacko:

Interruption was minimal, and meant the correct decisions were made, only idiot ex pros or bellends would think thats a bad thing

The Griezmann incident I totally understand as the flag didn't go up and that passage of play was played out naturally and the goal rightly ruled out for offisde.

The incident with Delofeou on the other hand raises one important issue for me. As soon as that flag goes up when Alba plays the ball across, we cannot say with absolute certainty that that is how the play would have naturally occured. 

Lloris didnt attempt to make a save, now whether that was down to the finish or the flag going up and him therefore naturally switching off, I dont know. Never the less, that will be an issue that will have to be looked at before I am totally comfortable with over turning goals that have been ruled out for offside specifically

Just seen the disallowed Griezmann goal.

Good idea in theory but I'd like to see it done a bit quicker. The French players and crowd were away celebrating the goal and were back at the centre circle before they were told it was chopped off.

One of the arguments against tv evidence is that it would make the games too "stop start" like the NFL, which would be absolutely awful to see.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

The Griezmann incident I totally understand as the flag didn't go up and that passage of play was played out naturally and the goal rightly ruled out for offisde.

The incident with Delofeou on the other hand raises one important issue for me. As soon as that flag goes up when Alba plays the ball across, we cannot say with absolute certainty that that is how the play would have naturally occured. 

Lloris didnt attempt to make a save, now whether that was down to the finish or the flag going up and him therefore naturally switching off, I dont know. Never the less, that will be an issue that will have to be looked at before I am totally comfortable with over turning goals that have been ruled out for offside specifically

Does make play to the whistle a little irrelevant if the assistant flags for offside, whistle goes, everyone stops bar the attacker who hits a first time shot into the net. On review he times his run and is actually onside, cannot give a goal surely as everyone else stopped playing so is it an indirect free kick? Direct free kick? Drop ball? Might have to decide what is reviewable, much like American Football, before rolling this out....

17 hours ago, kumnio said:

Paul Ince is a 'passionate pro', thinks wrong decisions are part of the game, and should be accepted. :wacko:

Interruption was minimal, and meant the correct decisions were made, only idiot ex pros or bellends would think thats a bad thing

only trumped by people that think wrong decisions are ok because it gives you something to talk about in the pub afterwards :banghead:

5 hours ago, Reevesy said:

Good idea in theory but I'd like to see it done a bit quicker. The French players and crowd were away celebrating the goal and were back at the centre circle before they were told it was chopped off.

One of the arguments against tv evidence is that it would make the games too "stop start" like the NFL, which would be absolutely awful to see.

The NFL introduced the challenges rule in response to the time it took to complete games due to video replays.

video technology still relies  on a person watching a replay and making a decision- there will be occasions when it is not clear cut - a player offside but in line of sight of goalkeeper for example, these decisions will take longer to decide and will require multiple replays to get the correct decision - still be based on someone's opinion.

red cards can also be difficult - if the player sends a player off for a foul that turns out to be a a good tackle the players and coaches will be challenging every decision to be looked at.

on a positive the 20-30 seconds it takes will allow the tv companies to schedule a few adverts during games.

Edited by Scotunited

7 hours ago, Reevesy said:

Don't see why that should be a problem though ?

I also don't think it would be stop start as it's only for a few,brief (IMO), key decisions.

There's already plenty of time wasting and time lost during games so this would make little or no difference but ultimately improve key decision making.