Dundee Leaving Dens? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dundee Leaving Dens?

7 hours ago, Ormond said:

They realised that Paisley's a hovel.

I think people in Paisley can afford to go to Tesco.  It wasn't Waitrose that bought it. 

Maybe they were denied planning permission or maybe it's one of many sites Tesco own that they decided to mothball when they realised they'd overstretched themselves?  Or maybe their chief exec is a Morton fan?

11 hours ago, Ormond said:

Not sure what your gripe is. Is it because Saints have had extremely good businessmen behind them for decades? 

What gripe?  I'm not sure why you think I have a gripe. I've re-read and I think you should stay off the wacky baccy.   

I think the actual site of the old Love Street is still empty to this day.  The rumours I heard were that once Tesco bought the site they done further research that suggested people were unlikely to go to that part of town for a supermarket.  I think there were also suggestions that a more viable location would be where the old 10 pin bowling was, opposite the old Great Mills/Focus store on Renfrew Rd but I don't think anything came of that either.  In the end up Tesco moved in to Linwood and have completely regenerated the old town centre.

14 hours ago, Big Col said:

Apologies for going off on a tangent,

Tesco paid £££'s for the Love Street land yet never developed it. Why?

Tesco are one of the biggest commercial land owners in the UK - they find its cheaper to buy the land and not use it, that to take the chance on a competitor building on it. I'm guessing there's likely to be a Tesco within a couple of miles, hence its still being empty?

13 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I think the actual site of the old Love Street is still empty to this day.  The rumours I heard were that once Tesco bought the site they done further research that suggested people were unlikely to go to that part of town for a supermarket.  I think there were also suggestions that a more viable location would be where the old 10 pin bowling was, opposite the old Great Mills/Focus store on Renfrew Rd but I don't think anything came of that either.  In the end up Tesco moved in to Linwood and have completely regenerated the old town centre.

9 hours ago, DeeRus said:

Tesco are one of the biggest commercial land owners in the UK - they find its cheaper to buy the land and not use it, that to take the chance on a competitor building on it. I'm guessing there's likely to be a Tesco within a couple of miles, hence its still being empty?

Aye you can still see parts of the old stadium (stairs/ turnstiles), nothing's been done to it since demolition.

Tesco opened another supermarket in the old Somerfield in the east end of Paisley around the same time Love St closed and decided the town didnt need the additional Tesco.

17 hours ago, DeeRus said:

That is exactly it as far as I knew.

Does make you wonder why they haven't sold it off for residential though to recoup some of there losses.

By the way, think the purchase price for Love Street was £13m.

i still miss the place and get a wee sad feeling when I walk/drive past it. I know I'm bias but in its day I think it was one of the best grounds in the country. 

34 minutes ago, Marky said:

That is exactly it as far as I knew.

Does make you wonder why they haven't sold it off for residential though to recoup some of there losses.

By the way, think the purchase price for Love Street was £13m.

i still miss the place and get a wee sad feeling when I walk/drive past it. I know I'm bias but in its day I think it was one of the best grounds in the country. 

I seem to remember most St. Mirren fans being in favour of the move. Is that right? Any regrets? 

Left a good stadium with character for an awful identi kit ground. It might have cleared debts in the short term but how many clubs build debt back up after a windfall. Would rather slowly get the debt down and remain at Love Street.

Moves for any club are very tricky. Left in incompetent hands in can be a total disaster. But left in the hands of astute people and with funding from the right areas it can be a success.

In England, Coventry City are a prime example of a move from their long-term home that has turned into nightmare proportions. West Ham look like another who may struggle in a new home. But other moves can work if you look at Manchester City, Arsenal and Leicester City.

2 hours ago, Marky said:

I still miss the place and get a wee sad feeling when I walk/drive past it. I know I'm bias but in its day I think it was one of the best grounds in the country. 

The main stand wasn't up to much, but i used to like the big curved bank, then the away stand that replaced it gave you a great view you certainly don't get at Greenhill Road.

I used to go quite often with my Buddie mate back in the day. Mind being in the shed for the infamous Hammarby game, some atmosphere that night!

3 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

I seem to remember most St. Mirren fans being in favour of the move. Is that right? Any regrets? 

Left a good stadium with character for an awful identi kit ground. It might have cleared debts in the short term but how many clubs build debt back up after a windfall. Would rather slowly get the debt down and remain at Love Street.

I was quite simple Iain. If we hadn't sold it, we wouldn't exist now. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

The main stand wasn't up to much, but i used to like the big curved bank, then the away stand that replaced it gave you a great view you certainly don't get at Greenhill Road.

I used to go quite often with my Buddie mate back in the day. Mind being in the shed for the infamous Hammarby game, some atmosphere that night!

Don't mention the H word Toepoke!!

i was there that night two. That was the one and only game I ever took my girlfriend to. Chucked her walking up Love Street after game for saying in response to my ....ahem....slight grumpiness "it's only a game!"