Your starting XI vs Strachan's starting XI - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your starting XI vs Strachan's starting XI

Who would you pick for the game? Also what do people think Strachan will go with? Interesting to see how different the fans' team would be...

Personally I would go with Marshall, Paterson, R. Martin, Berra, Kingsley, Brown, McArthur, D. Fletcher, Snodgrass, Burke, Griffiths

Strachan I feel is likely to go for Marshall, Paterson, R. Martin, Hanley, Wallace, Brown, Morrison, D. Fletcher, Snodgrass, Ritchie, C. Martin

Always hold out some sort of hope, but God help us if Chris Martin plays up top on his own.

Given up trying to second guess Strachan. I'd go with this.

Marshall, Patterson, Martin, Berra, Kinsgley, Brown, McArtur, Burke, Snodgrass, Morrison, Griffiths.

Lets just go for it, nothing to loose. Pace, close them down giving them no time on the ball. Simples!!

3 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Given up trying to second guess Strachan. I'd go with this.

Marshall, Patterson, Martin, Berra, Kinsgley, Brown, McArtur, Burke, Snodgrass, Morrison, Griffiths.

Lets just go for it, nothing to loose. Pace, close them down giving them no time on the ball. Simples!!

That's got to be our team. Here's the thing: if we put out that team we actually do have a chance. That is full of unpredictability (everything we haven't been recently)

1 minute ago, hamilton wanderer said:

That's got to be our team. Here's the thing: if we put out that team we actually do have a chance. That is full of unpredictability (everything we haven't been recently)

Agree, if he has watched any football recently he will see that's the way to pay them. Stones for City v Southampton recently for example had a nightmare when they put a bit of pressure on him. How England struggled with Slovenia doing that to them in October. 

If we sit off and play a Martin up front on his own we're on a hiding to nothing. The 3 in behind can all score, help Griffiths and give us a bit of intensity we lacked in Slovakia.

If Martin plays he has to play Griffiths in behind and Burke and another on the wings (anya for exampe).

Gordon

Patterson,(only cos Hutton retired) Martin, Berra, Wallace

Fletcher, Mcarthur

Ritchie         Brown         Burke

griffiths

subs to be used Fletcher for burke, Snodgrass for Ritchie, and Morrison for D.Fletcher when we've put the game to bed.

Strachan,

Marshall

Patterson, Martin, Hanley, Kingsley

Brown, Fletcher, Bannan, Snodgrass, ritchie

Fletcher

Subs Strachan will use   Forrest for Snodgrass, anya for Ritchie, and Griffiths for S fletcher.......when its all too late (probably after 20 mins it'll be too late.)

What I'd go with:

Gordon; Paterson, R.Martin, Berra, Wallace; Brown, McArthur; Burke, Morrison, Snodgrass; Griffiths

I think Snodgrass is best coming off the right onto his left foot but Burke is probably a bit of a wildcard and looks best playing on the right.

What I think Strachan will go with:

Marshall; R.Martin, Hanley, Berra, Wallace; D.Fletcher, Brown; Ritchie/Snodgrass, McArthur, Forrest; C.Martin

I'd go

Gordon
Paterson  Martin  Berra  Wallace
          Brown    Mulgrew
Burke    Snodgrass   Ritchie
               Griffiths

Strachan will pick

Marshall
Paterson  Martin  Hanley  Wallace
           Brown   Fletcher
Snodgrass  McArthur  Ritchie
                   Martin

16 hours ago, deso1 said:

Strachan,

Marshall

Patterson, Martin, Hanley, Kingsley

Brown, Fletcher, Bannan, Snodgrass, ritchie

Fletcher

Subs Strachan will use   Forrest for Snodgrass, anya for Ritchie, and Griffiths for S fletcher.......when its all too late (probably after 20 mins it'll be too late.)

I think this is pretty close to what Strachan will pick.

Personally I'd go for:

Marshall

Paterson                    Greer                         Berra              Kingsley

McArthur

Fletcher                      Brown

Bannan

Snodgrass

Fletcher

My thinking is that midfield is the one area where we're semi-decent and England aren't convincing-therefore put in 4 against their 3, as they'll play a 4-3-3. McArthur dictating play & holding, Brown noising up Rooney, D Fletcher outplaying Henderson and Bannan pushing back/getting in behind Dier. Berra & Greer can't possibly be as bad as Hanley or Martin in the centre of defence. An argument for Griffiths would be the goal Kenny Miller scored up against Cahill, but I think we need someone who can hold it up/can score/and who's good in the air-S Fletcher ticks all 3 boxes. Snodgrass up against Walker, who had a nightmare against Leverkusen. D Fletcher would need to help Paterson when we didn't have the ball. Subs would possibly be: Morrison or McGinn to replace a tired Brown, Griffiths or Naismith to replace S Fletcher and the pace of Forrest and/or Anya should we need to change it.

Having said all of that, I'm sure Strachan is more qualified than I am.

Edited by Que Sera Sera
To make it clearer

29 minutes ago, Que Sera Sera said:

I think this is pretty close to what Strachan will pick.

Personally I'd go for:

Marshall

Paterson                    Greer                         Berra              Kingsley

McArthur

Fletcher                      Brown

Bannan

Snodgrass

Fletcher

My thinking is that midfield is the one area where we're semi-decent and England aren't convincing-therefore put in 4 against their 3, as they'll play a 4-3-3. McArthur dictating play & holding, Brown noising up Rooney, D Fletcher outplaying Henderson and Bannan pushing back/getting in behind Dier. Berra & Greer can't possibly be as bad as Hanley or Martin in the centre of defence. An argument for Griffiths would be the goal Kenny Miller scored up against Cahill, but I think we need someone who can hold it up/can score/and who's good in the air-S Fletcher ticks all 3 boxes. Snodgrass up against Walker, who had a nightmare against Leverkusen. D Fletcher would need to help Paterson when we didn't have the ball. Subs would possibly be: Morrison or McGinn to replace a tired Brown, Griffiths or Naismith to replace S Fletcher and the pace of Forrest and/or Anya should we need to change it.

Having said all of that, I'm sure Strachan is more qualified than I am.

People may laugh but Greer has actually been very good for us when he's come in, plus he's actually playing regularly.  Could be a shout to play him.

Mulgrew will surely play a part. He's just back from injury so I doubt Strachan would call him up to sit in the stands when he could be working on his fitness. I believe Blackburn were playing some of their senior players for the 21's tonight so I imagine he'd have been involved.

For what it's worth, I'd have him centre half. Possibly next to Berra with Martin on the right.