Starting Xi V Germany - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting Xi V Germany

Rob

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we will find out soon enough,you have 3 good keepers yes,but only one plays.

Forde

Coleman-O'Shea-Delaney-Wilson

Mcgeady-McCarthy-Gibson-Brady

Keane-Long.

If that's your best team it's no wonder you think so highly of Coleman.

They all play at a good level, but they're basically all EPL journeymen except Coleman (Keane was obviously world class, but is he still?).

Naismith and Snodgrass and Robertson would walk into that team.

If that's your best team it's no wonder you think so highly of Coleman.

They all play at a good level, but they're basically all EPL journeymen except Coleman (Keane was obviously world class, but is he still?).

Naismith and Snodgrass and Robertson would walk into that team.

Who out of your squad isnt a journey man though? Robertson is not better than Wilson,althought he may be in a few years, Keanes not World Class but he will still score goals. The fact that you only said 3 of your players would get into our squad kind of proves my point that we are better?

I guess we will find out soon enough,you have 3 good keepers yes,but only one plays.

Forde

Coleman-O'Shea-Delaney-Wilson

Mcgeady-McCarthy-Gibson-Brady

Keane-Long.

Since you are claiming Keane to be better than any of our strikers, based on past glories, I think I'll make the claim that both Maloney and Forrest are more productive than McGeady. And, when fit, still would be.

Snodgrass goes without saying.

Darren Fletcher, on form, walks into most international teams. Plus all 3 of Goalkeepers would be in front of yours.

Add in Scott Brown and Charlie Mulgrew, who have Champions league experience and there is your whole midfield gone to Scots.

Steven Fletcher's premier league goal record far outshines Shane longs. But Naismith would be ahead of both anyway.

Coleman is a very good player but it's not fair to say Hutton isn't a comparable level when he has been shunned for 2 years. But I'll give you him.

Does anyone in the Ireland team have even close to the potential that Andrew Robertson has? I think not.

So, in summary, Coleman, Keane and maybe John O'Shea (because we are weak at CB) would get in our team.

Add in the fact we have 18 year olds at Sporting Lisbon and Real Madrid not far away from staking a claim. Plus Callum McGregor that has came out of nowhere.

Sorry, but take out Keane, and you are not even close to Scotland's level.

Edited by Tartan blood

Since you are claiming Keane to be better than any of our strikers, based on past glories, I think I'll make the claim that both Maloney and Forrest are more productive than McGeady. And, when fit, still would be.

Snodgrass goes without saying.

Darren Fletcher, on form, walks into most international teams. Plus all 3 of Goalkeepers would be in front of yours.

Add in Scott Brown and Charlie Mulgrew, who have Champions league experience and there is your whole midfield gone to Scots.

Steven Fletcher's premier league goal record far outshines Shane longs. But Naismith would be ahead of both anyway.

Coleman is a very good player but it's not fair to say Hutton isn't a comparable level when he has been shunned for 2 years. But I'll give you him.

Does anyone in the Ireland team have even close to the potential that Andrew Robertson has? I think not.

So, in summary, Coleman, Keane and maybe John O'Shea (because we are weak at CB) would get in our team.

Add in the fact we have 18 year olds at Sporting Lisbon and Real Madrid not far away from staking a claim. Plus Callum McGregor that has came out of nowhere.

Sorry, but take out Keane, and you are not even close to Scotland's level.

Jack Grealish and Robbie Brady are as good as any Scottish youngster.

Shane Long and Fletcher are comparable players,Longs goal scoring record isn't great,but neither is Fletchers.

I didn't say Keane was a better player than Naismith,but anyone would prefer to have him in their team because he scores so often.

How would Muglrew and Brown who are playing at lower than championship standard better than McCarthy and Gibson who are both far superior players playing in a far superior league.

McGeady is better than your wingers,hence why he plays for Everton and your wingers play for Spl,championship teams and Celtic.

Whelan keeps Adam out of a starting place at Stoke and hes one of our worst players.

Ask any neutral who has the better squad and nearly all will tell you Ireland. You have had a good start under strachen but lets be honest,Scotland always go into a campaign brimming with hope, and are out if it after a few games, Ireland always go into a campaign with queit confidence and are normally up there challenging for a spot in the top 2 in the last few games.

You really are an ignorant lot,most of you think that yous will beat Germany and the rest of you think that Players playing in the Champipnship/Spl and lower Premier league teams are better than a squad of nearly all mid table premier league players.

Before you brag about youngsters btw,have a look at Jack Grealish and Shane Duffy,who will both be very good premier league players in their prime.

Absolutely pointless arguing lads, as both teams are very similar, your Irish lad here says that they have a better squad which is debatable but I would say our form and confidence will win on the day, also if you were to pick a best 11 this would be it(bar the other centre half as we both have sub standard, including O'Shea). Fairly even.. but the fact that McGeady and McCarthy are both Scottish I think we win ;) Can't see them both playing to be honest, "hamstring injury" wouldn't surprise me. Should be 2 cracking games!!

McGregor

Coleman O'Shea ?? Robertson

Mcgeady McCarthy Fletcher Snodgrass

Keane Naismith

i would say there is very little between both sqauds with the exeception of robbie keane who is truly a level above all the other players in both sqauds.(hopefully he is gettin a bit past it now!). think both games will be tighter than a <insert cliche>

Absolutely pointless arguing lads, as both teams are very similar, your Irish lad here says that they have a better squad which is debatable but I would say our form and confidence will win on the day, also if you were to pick a best 11 this would be it(bar the other centre half as we both have sub standard, including O'Shea). Fairly even.. but the fact that McGeady and McCarthy are both Scottish I think we win ;) Can't see them both playing to be honest, "hamstring injury" wouldn't surprise me. Should be 2 cracking games!!

McGregor

Coleman O'Shea ?? Robertson

Mcgeady McCarthy Fletcher Snodgrass

Keane Naismith

Agree with mostly what your saying, however I am saying you wont be on the best run of form when yous play us if results go the way they should. Also the second cb would be ours as Wilson,Delaney,Clark are all premier players and O'brein/Wilson are better than Robertson. Otherwise your spot on.

You haven't seen Robertson play often if you rate him better than O'Brien or Wilson. Mature beyond his years.

Again as has been said a thousand times before, just because an international team can name X amount of Premier League players does not necessarily mean anything. You have to take into account whether they are even getting regular games, and when getting regular games, are they even playing well ?

By your logic (and from a Scotland point of view), Gordon Strachan should have included Charlie Adam and Matt Phillips in our current squad because they play for Premier League clubs. However, the fact that they have both done nothing in Scotland jersey to merit a place meant Strachan correctly left them out.

You haven't seen Robertson play often if you rate him better than O'Brien or Wilson. Mature beyond his years.

Again as has been said a thousand times before, just because an international team can name X amount of Premier League players does not necessarily mean anything. You have to take into account whether they are even getting regular games, and when getting regular games, are they even playing well ?

By your logic (and from a Scotland point of view), Gordon Strachan should have included Charlie Adam and Matt Phillips in our current squad because they play for Premier League clubs. However, the fact that they have both done nothing in Scotland jersey to merit a place meant Strachan correctly left them out.[/quote

I have seen Robertson,hes a young lad whos started very well,but hes very unexpierienced at a high level. Whereas Wilson and O'Brein are very expierienced. Im fairly sure our XI tomorrow will all be regular starters. Sure some Scots think that Celtic players are better than McCarthy and Gibson just because they have played in the Champions league. By thay account Ireland should call up Stokes and Cillian Sheridan.

Agree with mostly what your saying, however I am saying you wont be on the best run of form when yous play us if results go the way they should. Also the second cb would be ours as Wilson,Delaney,Clark are all premier players and O'brein/Wilson are better than Robertson. Otherwise your spot on.

There are a lot of prem league players that don't even make our squad and we pick championship or spl over them; Scott Arfield, george boyd, matt gilks, Matt Phillips, Charlie Adam, Phil Bardsley, Liam Bridcutt. We have a system that we play and certain players don't suit it. McCormack and Rhodes the top 2 goal scorers in the championship last season don't get in either. Would rather a system of play that certain players play well in over throwing a lot of bench warmers from the prem and hope they blend in. Still will be 2 cracking games and I think it could go either way.

By your logic (and from a Scotland point of view), Gordon Strachan should have included Charlie Adam and Matt Phillips in our current squad because they play for Premier League clubs. However, the fact that they have both done nothing in Scotland jersey to merit a place meant Strachan correctly left them out.

Adam doesnt start though so thats why he doesnt get called up,and when he does play hes so bad that Glenn Whelan just takes his place off him again. That Phillips lad is pure tripe too he has only played in the Premier League a handfull of times,which is why he hasn't been picked.

Jack Grealish and Robbie Brady are as good as any Scottish youngster.

Shane Long and Fletcher are comparable players,Longs goal scoring record isn't great,but neither is Fletchers.

I didn't say Keane was a better player than Naismith,but anyone would prefer to have him in their team because he scores so often.

How would Muglrew and Brown who are playing at lower than championship standard better than McCarthy and Gibson who are both far superior players playing in a far superior league.

McGeady is better than your wingers,hence why he plays for Everton and your wingers play for Spl,championship teams and Celtic.

Whelan keeps Adam out of a starting place at Stoke and hes one of our worst players.

Ask any neutral who has the better squad and nearly all will tell you Ireland. You have had a good start under strachen but lets be honest,Scotland always go into a campaign brimming with hope, and are out if it after a few games, Ireland always go into a campaign with queit confidence and are normally up there challenging for a spot in the top 2 in the last few games.

You really are an ignorant lot,most of you think that yous will beat Germany and the rest of you think that Players playing in the Champipnship/Spl and lower Premier league teams are better than a squad of nearly all mid table premier league players.

Before you brag about youngsters btw,have a look at Jack Grealish and Shane Duffy,who will both be very good premier league players in their prime.

Well, that was needlessly insulting and very assumptive. Half of our fans think we will beat Germany? Where in the world have you plucked that statistic from?

Brown and Mulgrew, you mean 2 players that have played in the champions league, a level higher than the EPL?

You aren't wrong about Adam, but have a wee scan through this forum for 5 mins and you'll see that no one in Scotland wants him to play - including our Manager, which is why he didn't pick him.

I don't know much about Grealish but I don't think you can compare two 18 year olds playing for Sporting Lisbon and Real Madrid with an Aston Villa youth.

Any neutral that claims Ireland have the better squad would be basing it on the fact Scotland have not qualified for any major tournaments for over a decade. Something that is hopefully going to change.

Yes, McGeady "plays" for Everton (occasionally). His substitute appearances are very impressive. But if you want to degrade our wingers to 'SPL/lower than championship level' then lets journey back to when Maloney and McGeady both played under Strachan. When fit, Maloney was always favoured. Maloney also had a vastly superior assist and goals record than McGeady.

Edited by Tartan blood

Well, that was needlessly insulting and very assumptive. Half of our fans think we will beat Germany? Where in the world have you plucked that statistic from?

Brown and Mulgrew, you mean 2 players that have played in the champions league, a level higher than the EPL?

You aren't wrong about Adam, but have a wee scan through this forum for 5 mins and you'll see that no one in Scotland wants him to play - including our Manager, which is why he didn't pick him.

I don't know much about Grealish but I don't think you can compare two 18 year olds playing for Sporting Lisbon and Real Madrid with an Aston Villa youth.

Any neutral that claims Ireland have the better squad would be basing it on the fact Scotland have not qualified for any major tournaments for over a decade. Something that is hopefully going to change.

Yes, McGeady "plays" for Everton (occasionally). His substitute appearances are very impressive. But if you want to degrade our wingers to 'SPL/lower than championship level' then lets journey back to when Maloney and McGeady both played under Strachan. When fit, Maloney was always favoured. Maloney also had a vastly superior assist and goals record than McGeady.

If Champo league is so good should Ireland call up Stokes and Cillian Sheridan,or Eoghan o Connell? Mcgeady has started 2 out of 3 games and got an assist and a goal so hes doing very well. Would rather a youngster who gets games for Villa than harper who probably wont make the grade at Real. I mentioned Grealish because he has a chance of first team apperances. I could have said Ian Lawlor and Jack Byrne,Lawlor has made Citys full champions league squad a few times.

If Champo league is so good should Ireland call up Stokes and Cillian Sheridan,or Eoghan o Connell? Mcgeady has started 2 out of 3 games and got an assist and a goal so hes doing very well. Would rather a youngster who gets games for Villa than harper who probably wont make the grade at Real. I mentioned Grealish because he has a chance of first team apperances. I could have said Ian Lawlor and Jack Byrne,Lawlor has made Citys full champions league squad a few times.

Betsy,

You do realise that we are Scotland supporters, and as such will display pride about our team, no national fan is exactly going to bow down to your views on how much better you think ROI are than Scotland.

If there was a German supporter on here some would argue with him because we have optimistic views on our own team.

If you want to tell everyone how great you think Ireland are and hope for agreement then I suggest you stay on Ireland forums.

When exactly have O'Connell and Sheridan played in the champions league?

Stokes has not scored in Europe in 17 games. And only has 2 goals in 35, both coming in the same game (Europa league). Stokes has proved he can't cope at that level, where as Brown and Mulgrew have.

I think it's best not to speculate on youths from either side. We know that for every 5 promising youths, maybe 1 will make it. But please don't insult us by pretending you'd prefer to have an Aston Villa youth over a Real Madrid youth.

Edited by Tartan blood