Is America for real - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is America for real

As per the article, there are a few states that have done something similar. What's not really covered in the report is large organisations saying they'll have to move operations and events out of those states. The NBA have said they'll have to move the all star game, the NFL says it'll make those states ineligible to hold a Super Bowl, the TV company that films the Walking Dead says it'll have to move production out of Georgia, etc.

23 minutes ago, biffer said:

As per the article, there are a few states that have done something similar. What's not really covered in the report is large organisations saying they'll have to move operations and events out of those states. The NBA have said they'll have to move the all star game, the NFL says it'll make those states ineligible to hold a Super Bowl, the TV company that films the Walking Dead says it'll have to move production out of Georgia, etc.

:ok:

5 hours ago, biffer said:

I did read that in the related links. Good on them. As we all know, "money talks" and when big inward investment pulls the plug, suddenly religious/bigoted sensitivities are set aside.

I'm no theologian and am an atheist, but this literal interpretation of the Bible is bonkers. Why not focus on the teachings of JC himself, compassion, helping the poor, needy and hungry, not to be judgemental. Vaguely remember reading JC bathed the lepers and ate with prostitutes. Nothing in these laws IMHO is in line with Christian values and teachings.

Lighten the fvck up! 

J

9 minutes ago, McDange said:

Does this lot, KKK, Westboro Baptist Church etc not count as Religious Extremism ?? 

That's not extremism,just religion, just as Islamic extremism or buddhdist extremism etc is just religion, there is nothing extreme about it it's just religion doing what religion does.

2 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

That's not extremism,just religion, just as Islamic extremism or buddhdist extremism etc is just religion, there is nothing extreme about it it's just religion doing what religion does.

:ok:

Yep - Extremism is just taking the scriptures literally and not ignoring anything that is morally reprehensible in the 21st century

Something that is lost on the mainstream media which by refusing to ridicule keeps it "real"

Edited by Ally Bongo

It's human behaviour, blaming it on something as amorphous as "religion" doesn't really explain it. It's human doing as human does. Political ideologies/moral certitude all happen without any comment on who created existence.

Cause then if you're not religious you might think well it won't happen to me. Except it could.

It is all based on you know better, be it by divine intervention, being more intelligent, having a better philosophy.

Religion is a symptom not a disease.

16 minutes ago, phart said:

Religion is a symptom not a disease.

Religion is not a symptom - it is an accelerator of the disease

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

When i'm parrotting Schopehauer and Nietzsche about human nature you're unlikely to sway me by quoting American horror writer H.P. Lovecraft, although i did game in his cthulu universe, so i'm aware of him as a writer of Fiction.

We'll agree to disagree :)

24 minutes ago, phart said:

When i'm parrotting Schopehauer and Nietzsche about human nature you're unlikely to sway me by quoting American horror writer H.P. Lovecraft, although i did game in his cthulu universe, so i'm aware of him as a writer of Fiction.

We'll agree to disagree :)

:lol:

on a side note - another atheist murdered by the religious

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/newsroom/atheist_student_murdered_by_islamists_in_bangladesh_center_for_inquiry_dema/

Apologies for the delay my Gran wasn't interested in Nietzsche she just wanted the windows cleaned. So had to hop and do that.

Not that long ago someone tried to wipe out a whole religion as an atheist. they were both certain they were right.

Man's inhumanity to man, as 18th century Scottish poet Robert Burns put it, is no recent development.

Scientists said on Wednesday they had found the oldest evidence of human warfare, fossils of a band of people massacred by a troop of attackers with weapons including arrows, clubs and stone blades on the shores of a lagoon in Kenya about 10,000 years ago.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-massacre-idUSKCN0UY2VO

Aye they think they have divine certainty so it's alright to kill that person. Supremacy be it religious, racial, intellectual.

28 minutes ago, phart said:

Not that long ago someone tried to wipe out a whole religion as an atheist. they were both certain they were right.

If Hitler had pronounced himself as an atheist to the general public you might have a point - but he didnt and frequently referred to a "God" in his speeches.

He also without doubt used the Jesus myth to aid his persecution of the Jews whilst despising christianity at the same time.

Atheism was also banned in the SS

Of course man's inhumanity to man has been around since we existed - you only have to look at the apes today who still practice it against members of other tribes etc

It is part of us and its something we need to get rid of though evolution and religion is holding that back imo

36 minutes ago, phart said:

Athiest debatable,he would have had a hard job doing it on his own,had plenty of good christians giving him a hand doing God's work.

22 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

If Hitler had pronounced himself as an atheist to the general public you might have a point - but he didnt and frequently referred to a "God" in his speeches.

He also without doubt used the Jesus myth to aid his persecution of the Jews whilst despising christianity at the same time.

Atheism was also banned in the SS

Of course man's inhumanity to man has been around since we existed - you only have to look at the apes today who still practice it against members of other tribes etc

It is part of us and its something we need to get rid of though evolution and religion is holding that back imo

Fair point , the thule society was his religion. neo-paganism with a dash of racial superiority.

Stalin then. 1928-1941. The point is the same. Muslims killed for being Muslims, summary executions etc.

Edited by phart

24 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

We won't get rid of killing via evolution. We've been anatomically the same the last 200,000 years. Waiting for evolutionary biology to fix it will be as effective as praying for god to fix it.

25 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Athiest debatable,he would have had a hard job doing it on his own,had plenty of good christians giving him a hand doing God's work.

The Milgram experiments tend to suggest religion had nothing to do with the actions. Due to ethical reasons they had not been repeated but they were a few years back and it held up.

https://explorable.com/stanley-milgram-experiment

1 hour ago, phart said:

The Milgram experiments tend to suggest religion had nothing to do with the actions. Due to ethical reasons they had not been repeated but they were a few years back and it held up.

https://explorable.com/stanley-milgram-experiment

Didn't say religion had anything to do with the actions (unless you interpret the Gods word bit literally).However it at least  proves that aside from religion being a great excuse for murdering people it's also does nothing to dissuade people murdering one another, bingo, full house the dream ticket.

6 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Didn't say religion had anything to do with the actions (unless you interpret the Gods word bit literally).However it at least  proves that aside from religion being a great excuse for murdering people it's also does nothing to dissuade people murdering one another, bingo, full house the dream ticket.

Well you picked out a certain denomination i thought it must have been for a reason, otherwise why mention it. Hence why I cited the Milgram experiments.

I don't believe anything was proven, let alone absolutes, the religion of the people wasn't recorded so not sure how it proves something it doesn't comment on. As you said religion is as religion does, same with atheism.

It shows that folk given orders will follow them out even if it is apparently harmful to the person it is being carried out on. Be it GOD, your commanding officer,Cleric,Imam or a person in a grey lab coat giving out the orders.

Obviously Religion creates these leader/follower dynamics, but i'm arguing about the central reason for humans being violent to each other. Religion is one of the symptoms of Certainty you have the moral permission cause you're correct. It can happen intellectually/philosophically/politically and religiously.