Are The Rangers the new Celtic? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are The Rangers the new Celtic?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35730322

How very Celtic.

"In light of recent ill-considered comments made by journalists and players, it is perhaps timely to point out that we must all continue to Follow With Pride," said Rangers in a club website statement.

"Clearly it rankles with some that we, Rangers, are still here with our history intact and the best way to protect this proud heritage is to ignore our detractors.

"Do not react to them and give others cause to criticise our behaviour.

"Instead, Follow With Pride and deny those who cannot accept reality, or legal judgment, to examine their own mind sets."

Referencing their own Follow With Pride code of conduct, Rangers added on Friday: "Celebrate the club, its unbroken timeline, honours and achievements but do not sing any inappropriate songs.

"Gestures and chants which are deemed offensive should also be avoided no matter the level of provocation and, while it is important to be aware Police Scotland, the SFA and SPFL can take action, remember also that this club enforces its own code of conduct.

"Fans who behave in an inappropriate manner and who bring the club into disrepute will face punishment.

"They might be given lifetime or limited bans, so please, let us all support Rangers in the correct way."

18 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

The "unbroken timeline" and "history intact" comments seem just to be trying that bit too hard.

That's what caught my eye. and this

Gestures and chants which are deemed offensive should also be avoided no matter the level of provocation

Because the rangers fans always need to be provoked to sing offensive songs.

A bit patheltic.

Edited by scoobydoo

28 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

That's what caught my eye. and this

Gestures and chants which are deemed offensive should also be avoided no matter the level of provocation

Because the rangers fans always need to be provoked to sing offensive songs.

A bit patheltic.

How should they have worded that bit then?

12 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

"Please don't sing the sash, billy boys, no pope of rome, the famine song ad infinitum".

Even if a Dundee player wound you up a bit?

:lol:

The statement almost sounds like getting the excuses in early for any abuse Harkins might've got today. (Or saying, I know you want to call him all the Fenian this that and the others under the sun, and we agree, but it's frowned upon :P )

To be fair, Rangers appear to have done their talking on the park given the scoreline.

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35730322

How very Celtic.

"Gestures and chants which are deemed offensive should also be avoided no matter the level of provocation

I wonder what level of provocation they're talking about, being a catholic in 21st Century Scotland?Having Irish ancestors? Not recognizing the supremacy of Protestantism?

1 hour ago, phart said:

I wonder what level of provocation they're talking about, being a catholic in 21st Century Scotland?Having Irish ancestors? Not recognizing the supremacy of Protestantism?

those are just three. 

Not recognising they are "ra peepul" is usually enough.

1 hour ago, phart said:

All of the above plus anyone who reminds them that their original club was liquidated and they're now following a tribute act.

Trigger's broom loyal 

Edited by Haggis McBasher

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

"Please don't sing the sash, billy boys, no pope of rome, the famine song ad infinitum".

That's so much better and wouldnt have set you lot off at all. :lol:

3 hours ago, phart said:

I think it was scoring against us. Fortunately it didn't matter today.