the euros - Page 2 - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

the euros

DoonTheSlope

1 hour ago, Stu101 said:

That Iceland chant is genuinely intimidating.

think a tonne of angry vikings running towards you chanting that....

I was really enjoying that and the game till all the facts about Iceland started coming out, for example,  in Iceland only 50,000 men between ages of 20-50 and therefore available to play.  Or as seen on here, 8% of Icelandic population are in France. 

I imagined them chanting that while rowing a big f' off boat coming to pillage and conquer. 

6 hours ago, G-Man said:

I was really enjoying that and the game till all the facts about Iceland started coming out, for example,  in Iceland only 50,000 men between ages of 20-50 and therefore available to play.  Or as seen on here, 8% of Icelandic population are in France. 

I imagined them chanting that while rowing a big f' off boat coming to pillage and conquer. 

Pedant alert :

Iceland isn't 'Scandinavia'. The population of Iceland stem from mainly Germanic and Celtic origin. They have never been a 'viking' country, and they've never pillaged or conquered anyone.

It's more likely infact that they themselves were 'pillaged'.

You're welcome ;)

11 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Pedant alert :

Iceland isn't 'Scandinavia'. The population of Iceland stem from mainly Germanic and Celtic origin. They have never been a 'viking' country, and they've never pillaged or conquered anyone.

You're welcome ;)

Pah! Call that pedantry?

Since terms such as Germanic and Celtic are only meaningful in a linguistic sense, Scandinavians are 'Germanic' in origin.

Secondly, Icelandic is closely related to Norwegian and it was folk from Norway who first settled the place (and it's where the Eddas were preserved which contain most of what we know about Norse mythology). Those Norse might pre-date 'the Vikings' by a century or three, but they're basically the same hairy, fun-loving folk.

Thirdly, Iceland was founded by a bloke in Oswestry to sell cheap fish-fingers.

That's pedantry.

9 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Pah! Call that pedantry?

Since terms such as Germanic and Celtic are only meaningful in a linguistic sense, Scandinavians are 'Germanic' in origin.

Secondly, Icelandic is closely related to Norwegian and it was folk from Norway who first settled the place (and it's where the Eddas were preserved which contain most of what we know about Norse mythology). Those Norse might pre-date 'the Vikings' by a century or three, but they're basically the same hairy, fun-loving folk.

Thirdly, Iceland was founded by a bloke in Oswestry to sell cheap fish-fingers.

That's pedantry.

A fine example of the art, Sir. I doff my 2-horned helmet.

(Incidentally, Vikings never wore 2 horned helmets. True. They were invented in 1973 by a guy in a gift shop in Copenhagen).

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

A fine example of the art, Sir. I doff my 2-horned helmet.

(Incidentally, Vikings never wore 2 horned helmets. True. They were invented in 1973 by a guy in a gift shop in Copenhagen).

Or was it Oslo in 1971 ?

15 hours ago, Rossy said:

Pedant alert :

You're welcome ;)

FFS, okay, okay. I was imagining some of them rowing towards my coastal village where the menfolk were all away at market whilst myself and the other womenfolk who were all fed up of our boring market going men were washing our long locks in the water, soap suds cascading down our lithe bodies ........... I've got to have something to entertain myself now we're not in the tournament.

So to you and Donny, sorry my fecking sad wee dreams don't suit fecking history. 

4 minutes ago, G-Man said:

FFS, okay, okay. I was imagining some of them rowing towards my coastal village where the menfolk were all away at market whilst myself and the other womenfolk who were all fed up of our boring market going men were washing our long locks in the water, soap suds cascading down our lithe bodies ........... I've got to have something to entertain myself now we're not in the tournament.

So to you and Donny, sorry my fecking sad wee dreams don't suit fecking history. 

Did your dream involve a train ?

11 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I'm with you on this one. You clearly said it's what you "imagined". Folk a capable of imagining much stranger things than Icelanders pretending to be Vikings. Fringo thinks the Vikings came by train.:huh: Other folk, like Donny and Rossy clearly have limited imaginations.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

I'm with you on this one. You clearly said it's what you "imagined". Folk a capable of imagining much stranger things than Icelanders pretending to be Vikings. Fringo thinks the Vikings came by train.:huh: Other folk, like Donny and Rossy clearly have limited imaginations.

:lol: I don't but G-Man has strange dreams and experiences on trains.:D

15 hours ago, fringo said:

Did your dream involve a train ?

The menfolk went to the market on it so I knew they'd be away for ages. :P

15 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Exactly my fine feathered friend, (you're a flamingo in my imaginings.) they need to explore their inner dreams a bit more.

Must go, watching Wales game so the Icelandic boys are oot and the Welsh have taken the oars. 

15 hours ago, fringo said:

:lol: I don't but G-Man has strange dreams and experiences on trains.:D

That was a nightmare! I've been booking fringe tickets, now looking for a hotel.

With parking! 

Ah buggar, the boat's sprung a leak, England equalised. 

20 minutes ago, fanatyk said:

"Polska Bialo-Czerwoni!" (Poland White and Red)

or more like "Poooolskaaa Bialoooo Czerwoooniiii!)

I watched the Poland-NI game with an old schoolmate who comes from a Polish family & used to travel all over watching them. The pub was full of Poles singing that, especially a massive chorus of it at the end. It sounded brilliant, although I won't lie but it does lose a bit in translation ;)