The Big Yin- Favourite Billy Connolly Sketch - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Big Yin- Favourite Billy Connolly Sketch

Saw him get his award at the NTAs last night.

Was quite hard viewing, he's deteriorated a lot since I last saw him on TV.

(Was like watching Mohammed Ali with the Olympic torch that time...)

Anyway, one of my favourites, I listened to on an audio cassette as a kid, it was about going for a shite in the shipyards and somebody setting a rolled up paper on fire and dropping it in the trough....

Ivan the terrible and the crucifixion are my favourites

Ha ha. Funny Bonzo. Was just thinking there and those were the very two that came into my head.

He used to do loads of wee songs too and my favourite of those was the Janny Song.

An Audience with Billy Connelly in the mid 80s was utterly hilarious and sadly (for me anyway) was the last good stand up he did.

I forgot about the crucifixion!

There's one about meeting a girl at a dance and taking her to the graveyard. Probably found that one funnier as a teenage boy than I might now.

The line "I want a slut, a whore" and some of the actions are hilarious.

Saw him live at the armadillo about 8 years ago, I'd heard he'd walked off after about 45 minutes the night before, and felt the early part of the show was a bit slow, I think I was worried he'd disappoint. He then came on after an interval and was brilliant for another 2 hours.

Ha ha. Funny Bonzo. Was just thinking there and those were the very two that came into my head.

He used to do loads of wee songs too and my favourite of those was the Janny Song.

An Audience with Billy Connelly in the mid 80s was utterly hilarious and sadly (for me anyway) was the last good stand up he did.

Great minds or fools seldom differ hahaha I'd go a wee bit later than an audience billy and Albert was really funny

Great minds or fools seldom differ hahaha I'd go a wee bit later than an audience billy and Albert was really funny

Billy and Albert was OK in terms of some of the material, but for me it marked the start of him upping the game on the gratuitous swearing front and I thought he lost a lot of his charm once that happened. To be fair he was probably just trying to keep pace with the so called "alternative" comedians of the day. He should've just stuck to his guns and did what he was good at.

Edited by Marky

Billy and Albert was OK in terms of some of the material, but for me it marked the start of him upping the game on the gratuitous swearing front and I thought he lost a lot of his charm once that happened. To be fair he was probably just trying to keep pace with the so called "alternative" comedians of the day. He should've just stuck to his guns and did what he was good at.

Just think the swearing was a pretty new thing to me anyway,I was just used to seeing comedians on tv. I had heard chubby brown on tape but Connolly was much more funny with it. Edited by bonzo

I saw him at the apollo in glasgow in 1980 ..absolutely brilliant ..very raw and hard hitting..saw him again in blackpool early 2000s ..he was on stage for three hours non stop ..like a roller coaster ride going from amusing to mearly wetting yourself. A true story telling genius.

My favourite of his stand ups was the 1994 tour. Had it on vhs years ago - he talks about wildebeests at one point, not running away from lions because there are no mirrors on the Serengeti plain and they don't know they are wildebeests. Mind cracking up the first time I heard it

Saw him a few years back in the armadillo. He was still very good considering how long he has been on the go.

So many it's difficult to narrow it done. A couple that spring immediately to mind are "First grey pubic hair", "He's putting his legs in the eiderdown", "The big slipper" and I remember one about trying not to cry after his dad has smacked his arse that had me in tears at the time. The drunk on the nightbus was quite good too. Ding ding!!!

Edited by Fairbairn

My favourite of his stand ups was the 1994 tour. Had it on vhs years ago - he talks about wildebeests at one point, not running away from lions because there are no mirrors on the Serengeti plain and they don't know they are wildebeests. Mind cracking up the first time I heard it

Saw him a few years back in the armadillo. He was still very good considering how long he has been on the go.

Aye the Lions, Agnes "shhhh" he's screaming at the telly, the story about drinking the water abroad and everyone getting the shits at the same time. Prescription windscreen.