Main Reason For Not Qualifying - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Main Reason For Not Qualifying

tartanpar

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take Scott Brown out of ours and I bet we bloody would have!

I do love Broonie but his best days at international level are sadly behind him right enough. It's time to replace him. Can't just keep playing him because he's "good old Broony" as some would have us do.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

I do love Broonie but his best days at international level are sadly behind him right enough. It's time to replace him. Can't just keep playing him because he's "good old Broony" as some would have us do.

Used to really like him but he has let us down badly and especially as he was meant to be captain. I just don't see him knuckling down and putting in the same effort anymore. Not to mention that he seems to be getting younger in the head as he ages.

The medal count is irrelevant. Medals only equal tangible success and only one team can be tangibly successful in any single tournament. What makes a winner isn't developed on a football field - it's something that's either in your head or it's not. It's something Jock Stein and SAF both knew. What was their total medal count as players?

The players they managed won a hell of a lot of medals though. And many went on to form the backbone of strong Scotland teams.

I'm not saying it's the sole gauge of a player's capability, but it does give an indication. Fill your team with winners and there's more chance of winning.

Our main problem is not character/attitude/mentality or whatever you want to call it. The problem is a lack of technical ability. Gordon Strachan knows this and has spoken about it many times. Because of the high pressing nature of modern football, a player must be able to control the ball under pressure from an opponent, and (almost in the same movement) make some space for themselves. Most of our players really struggle with this and so when we have possession we invariably end up playing the ball backwards until the eventual long ball from the back - the players just can't take the ball facing their own goal then turn and beat the opponent who is hassling them. We very rarely have truly secure possession of the ball.

That is the main reason we struggle against the weaker teams. Being pressed by a physically fit Lithuanian is just as difficult as by a physically fit Croatian.

Now you mention physical pressing, back in the day the likes of Bremner, Souness even Roy Aitken, would crunch an opponent to welcome them to Scotland.

These days challenges like those earn yellow and red cards. Which may be a change for the better, but it's certainly another reason why teams don't fear coming to Hampden as much as in the past.

Our main problem is not character/attitude/mentality or whatever you want to call it. The problem is a lack of technical ability. Gordon Strachan knows this and has spoken about it many times. Because of the high pressing nature of modern football, a player must be able to control the ball under pressure from an opponent, and (almost in the same movement) make some space for themselves. Most of our players really struggle with this and so when we have possession we invariably end up playing the ball backwards until the eventual long ball from the back - the players just can't take the ball facing their own goal then turn and beat the opponent who is hassling them. We very rarely have truly secure possession of the ball.

That is the main reason we struggle against the weaker teams. Being pressed by a physically fit Lithuanian is just as difficult as by a physically fit Croatian.

That's why Bannan gets a game.

will the next euro be 24 teams as well?

24 teams - however qualification is slightly different due to the new nations league which starts in 2018

there will be 10 qualifying groups - 6 groups of 5 teams and 4 groups of 6 teams - top 2 teams from each group qualify

The remaining 4 teams will qualify from the Nations League which starts in 2018/2019

I take it you are talking about the superb...technical ability of Northern Ireland here....or was it the Albanian flair that Gordon had noticed...

Change the record any comment on here that contains the words Gordon,Knows or plans...I just switch off.

He couldnt plan a F**K UP in a brothel.

I take it you are talking about the superb...technical ability of Northern Ireland here....or was it the Albanian flair that Gordon had noticed...

Change the record any comment on here that contains the words Gordon,Knows or plans...I just switch off.

He couldnt plan a F**K UP in a brothel.

I suppose we could try just running about a lot and getting stuck in for another 20 years.