Virgin Media - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

got a letter the other day from virgin media saying that there are going to increase my package from £43 a month to £47 is that no a wee bit sneaky it's amazing that they don't tell you these things when you sign up needless to say when the contract expires it won't be getting reniewd

I've had Virgin for ages, and my package is currently £55.18 for 100Mpbs Broadband, TV M+ and M Phone.

Moving house soon, so need to decide what to do.

Love Virgin Internet, but not used a landline for about 5 years - in fact I had a phone plugged in for about 2 years without realising it was faulty. And the TV is full of pish - no better than freeview.

I should have phoned up ages ago and negotiated a reduction - too lazy!

got a letter the other day from virgin media saying that there are going to increase my package from £43 a month to £47 is that no a wee bit sneaky it's amazing that they don't tell you these things when you sign up needless to say when the contract expires it won't be getting reniewd

I think if they change the price, you can leave?

The big advantage of Virgin over Sky is that they own the kit. So if there's a fault they repair it at no cost. If your Sky box is out of warranty, it can get expensive.

Unless they agree to repair your sky box without charge threaten to leave. They will repair it. They won't lose your monthly subscription for the sake of £60 odd quid.

They will of course advise of the charge in the first place as most people will just accept it and it's a bonus £60 for them, plus you're less likely to leave any time soon after spending that fixing your box, and then they will resist a little but ultimately if they know they're losing your monthly money they will fix it free.

Usually buried away somewhere but yes you're right.

It would be interesting to see a test case under the unfair terms and conditions laws.

Im almost certain it'll be watertight. You'll have some wiggle room anyway.

Rather than starting this thread Virgin media could have already been contacted and probably offered a better deal on the package overall.

I was with Virgin media for a good while, and regularly threatened to take my business elsewhere, got a reduction for 6-12 months pretty much every time.

One word of warning, if you say you're going elsewhere, have a factual price/offer, otherwise they might call your bluff!

:lol:

I'm sure the last time they increased prices we got a letter saying you were entitled to cancel your contract (even if you were only a few weeks into an 18 month deal) as long as you did so within 30 days of the notification of the price increase.

Even if you have no intention of doing so, call them and threaten to leave because of the increase. They will usually offer you a discount (especially if you're already paying full price). But as sbcmfc says, do your homework before calling, as it will carry a lot more weight if you can say "I'm moving to x as they are offering me y package for £z".

The uswitch website is usually quite good for checking what deals the other providers are offering.

Unless they agree to repair your sky box without charge threaten to leave. They will repair it. They won't lose your monthly subscription for the sake of £60 odd quid.

They will of course advise of the charge in the first place as most people will just accept it and it's a bonus £60 for them, plus you're less likely to leave any time soon after spending that fixing your box, and then they will resist a little but ultimately if they know they're losing your monthly money they will fix it free.

Not always.

When I had a faulty dish,they refused to replace it,after about 1/2 hour of debating with them that something outside my property and out of reach can't be my responsibility to keep useable,(the arm part had broken) I ended up leaving them. Think it was quoted as a £60 visit,£90 for the dish and then the engineers time as well,so was gonna be in excess of £200 to repair.

Not always.

When I had a faulty dish,they refused to replace it,after about 1/2 hour of debating with them that something outside my property and out of reach can't be my responsibility to keep useable,(the arm part had broken) I ended up leaving them. Think it was quoted as a £60 visit,£90 for the dish and then the engineers time as well,so was gonna be in excess of £200 to repair.

sky charge is £65 call out fee, all parts and labour are included.If you say I can't afford it they will pass you to cancellations who will drop the price to £30 or free, dependant on circumstances

sky charge is £65 call out fee, all parts and labour are included.If you say I can't afford it they will pass you to cancellations who will drop the price to £30 or free, dependant on circumstances

This one didn't do that then.

I just cancelled and got my bird to take on the sports,so it was all good in the end. :lol: