Post Workout Recovery - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Post Workout Recovery

I've restarted my fitness efforts, doing 25 minute kettlebell excercises with a 8kg bell.

Once i am confident i can do high intensity work outs without doing any major harm to myself i'll go that way as well.

EDIT: I might even dope up as well get jacked.

Edited by phart

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever suggested Tabata/HIIT can go die...######ed.

Behave. HIIT should be a part of every good exercise regime. If you can't handle it then you need to start doing it. It'll benefit you enormously in the long run.

Behave. HIIT should be a part of every good exercise regime. If you can't handle it then you need to start doing it. It'll benefit you enormously in the long run.

Exactly why I am doing it, because I'm out of shape and unfit. Honestly used to be one of the fittest folk i knew. I would have been able to do this no problem about 5 years ago

That's over a month doing weights everyday, and there's no sign of any enhanced muscle definition.

Been speaking to a few lifters i know

Daily Undulating Periodization: if you train a lift multiple times per week, use different weights and rep ranges each day, adding a bit of weight and/or more reps each week

Been speaking to a few lifters i know

Daily Undulating Periodization: if you train a lift multiple times per week, use different weights and rep ranges each day, adding a bit of weight and/or more reps each week

Yeah, i do upper:lower body workout splits. 2 days upper, 2 days lower (with a cardio & abs day on another day).

For each upper or lower workout i do one workout with lower weights and higher volume (less weight, more reps) and for the other i do higher weights and less reps.

I've only just started this split recently (was previously doing body part splits) but it seems to be working pretty well thus far.

You can do a lot of different workout routines/splits etc. but without progressively overloading the muscle, you'll see minimal or no benefit.

Gradually increase the reps you're doing and/or increase the weight you're using.

• 2 weeks later...

So that's me about 10 weeks into this Tabata hell and the results have been fantastic.

Weight down from 96kg to 87kg

BMI down from 29 to 26.4

VO2 Max up from 38ish to 42.5

3 mile run time reduced from 28m30s to just under 26 minutes.

Fittest I've been since getting back from Afghanistan in 2012.

So that's me about 10 weeks into this Tabata hell and the results have been fantastic.

Weight down from 96kg to 87kg

BMI down from 29 to 26.4

VO2 Max up from 38ish to 42.5

3 mile run time reduced from 28m30s to just under 26 minutes.

Fittest I've been since getting back from Afghanistan in 2012.

You'll have put on 1-2 lb's of muscle so the weight loss even better.

You get out what you put in, so must have been working hard. All before christmas as well, try and hold it steadyish over the christmas period :ok:

You'll have put on 1-2 lb's of muscle so the weight loss even better.

You get out what you put in, so must have been working hard. All before christmas as well, try and hold it steadyish over the christmas period :ok:

Aye, Christmas coming up is a bit of a bugger. :lol: Got leave booked from 19th December to 4th January and my fitness test is due on the 11th :shocked: Edited by redstevie007

You get out what you put in,

The most obvious statement but what many folk seem to forget.

As Stevie has shown, great results can be had in a short period but it takes hard work and strictness in your diet.

Edited by Parklife

The most obvious statement but what many folk seem to forget.

As Stevie has shown, great results can be had in a short period but it takes hard work and strictness in your diet.

No getting away from the hard work bit, that's a given, but I haven't radically changed my diet, just had a sensible look at it and made a couple of wee adjustments. For example, I can't get enough white bread, love the stuff. Sandwiches and toast with butter was a staple for me. Now I don't touch it during the week but I do still indulge a wee bit at the weekends. I reckon that change alone has a lot to do with my weight loss. I'm a firm believer in the simple equation of burning off more calories than you take in and once I started thinking about my fitness in those terms it was easy to see what I had to do.