At The Crossroads - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

At The Crossroads

Caledonian Craig

Prior to a meaningless final game V Gibraltar it would seem that Gordon Strachan's future as boss is in the balance. It is also apparent now that many posters on here would be happy enough to see him walk so if that happens then what does our future hold and if he stays what has to change?

Well if Strachan goes whoever comes in will still have the same pool of players to work with. The harsh reality is that we have no world class players to choose and youngsters waiting in the wings aren't going to change our fortunes. For me I have zero confidence in the SFA bringing anything less than a dud in as a replacement but if they luck out then the new manager still has the thankless task of polishing a turd. Harsh? No I think not. Look through opinion of posters on here and almost all of our first team regulars are regularly panned as not being good enough. That says it all. So do we want a Levein-type replacement who suffocates any hope or Gordon Strachan?

I can understand why people's patience is wearing thin with Strachan but lets remember Strachan's reign is no longer than Levein's was so for it to end when he has offered much more hope (until post-Georgia match) then I think is harsh. However, if he stays he simply has to invent a Plan B and C for matches like Georgia away when a win is a must. He also has to look to try different formations such as playing two strikers which may aid the likes of Rhodes and Griffiths to step up to the plate. Also use wing-backs - change it up and also show trust in other squad members and some of the youngsters. A time comes for change and we need some now.

I dont think anyone would be "happy" if Strachan walked

I just think most have came to the realisation that with the dearth of talent the country has it's doubtful whether any manager can take us forward at this point in time but do agree that there are plenty managers that could take us backwards, if thats possible

With Strachan it is most likely we will be no better or worse than we are just now which will be unlikely to get us through the next qualifying campaign

The whole grand scheme of things is really all a bit disheartening and Strachan leaving or staying wont change that.

Once again we are at a stage where we need to look for a new influx of players and rebuild and i think a lot of us cant be bothered with that cycle again as it's likely we'll be here 4 years from now with the same scenario as we were 4 years ago

Edited by Ally Bongo

I dont think anyone would be "happy" if Strachan walked

I just think most have came to the realisation that with the dearth of talent the country has it's doubtful whether any manager can take us forward at this point in time but do agree that there are plenty managers that could take us backwards, if thats possible

With Strachan it is most likely we will be no better or worse than we are just now which will be unlikely to get us through the next qualifying campaign

The whole grand scheme of things is really all a bit disheartening and Strachan leaving or staying wont change that.

Once again we are at a stage where we need to look for a new influx of players and rebuild and i think a lot of us cant be bothered with that cycle again as it's likely we'll be here 4 years from now with the same scenario as we were 4 years ago

Sadly, I have to agree with you as depressing as that scenario is.

Prior to a meaningless final game V Gibraltar it would seem that Gordon Strachan's future as boss is in the balance. It is also apparent now that many posters on here would be happy enough to see him walk so if that happens then what does our future hold and if he stays what has to change?

Well if Strachan goes whoever comes in will still have the same pool of players to work with. The harsh reality is that we have no world class players to choose and youngsters waiting in the wings aren't going to change our fortunes. For me I have zero confidence in the SFA bringing anything less than a dud in as a replacement but if they luck out then the new manager still has the thankless task of polishing a turd. Harsh? No I think not. Look through opinion of posters on here and almost all of our first team regulars are regularly panned as not being good enough. That says it all. So do we want a Levein-type replacement who suffocates any hope or Gordon Strachan?

I can understand why people's patience is wearing thin with Strachan but lets remember Strachan's reign is no longer than Levein's was so for it to end when he has offered much more hope (until post-Georgia match) then I think is harsh. However, if he stays he simply has to invent a Plan B and C for matches like Georgia away when a win is a must. He also has to look to try different formations such as playing two strikers which may aid the likes of Rhodes and Griffiths to step up to the plate. Also use wing-backs - change it up and also show trust in other squad members and some of the youngsters. A time comes for change and we need some now.

He may have offered more hope but in real terms he has only won one more game than levein did in his time - and look at the dogs abuse levein took.

He may have offered more hope but in real terms he has only won one more game than levein did in his time - and look at the dogs abuse levein took.

I don't think Levein had a great deal to work with either, yet he was at fault and Strachan somehow isn't.

Strachan has only won three competitive games whilst we were still in a position to qualify.

Georgia (1-0), Gibraltar (6-1), Ireland (1-0)

That's very poor.

Fair enough but lets recall some of his faux pas such as no strikers in Prague, last gasp winners against minnows, thrashings against Wales, toothless 0-0 draw at home to start our last campaign with no shots on target and remember his group didn't contain the world champions.

I don't think Levein had a great deal to work with either, yet he was at fault and Strachan somehow isn't.

Strachan has only won three competitive games whilst we were still in a position to qualify.

That's very poor.

Three games into the last campaign our hopes were effectively over and if I remember correctly I think we were one of the first teams mathematically out of the World Cup in the European section. Up until the last kick of the Poland match we were still in with a mathematical (though very slim) chance of qualifying.

Three games into the last campaign our hopes were effectively over and if I remember correctly I think we were one of the first teams mathematically out of the World Cup in the European section. Up until the last kick of the Poland match we were still in with a mathematical (though very slim) chance of qualifying.

We took 2 points from the first 3 games - whilst that was awful, it didn't mean our hopes were over.

We were the first team in the Euro section out after game 6 if I remember correctly - having taken 2 points from the first 6 games (2 of which Strachan was in charge, although difficult to lay blame on him as they were his first games).

The rest of the campaign allowed Strachan to develop the team/squad with no pressure - wins in Croatia and Macedonia, and a home win against Croatia were excellent.

I still can't see any improvement (we still haven't qualified, we're not bringing youngsters though, we have an ageing team, we can't break teams down, we don't create enough chances, and it's generally pretty awful to watch).

Only one thing needs to change - either learn to defend a lead or find a system which allows us to keep posing a threat whilst protecting an advantage or a good result. 2-1 up twice against Poland, drop deeper and deeper and end up with draws. Same scenario in both games. Draw level in Germany and decide to defend for the rest of the game. We were never getting away with that. Equalised in Dublin and in the ascendancy, again defended deeply and lucky to end up with the draw. We simply do not have the players or the system for panic defending. We do however have players who can pose problems on the break and given support. In summary, if we take the lead or equalise with 5 minutes to go, fine, park the bus, but for sake stop trying to do it for 20 minutes or half an hour.

We took 2 points from the first 3 games - whilst that was awful, it didn't mean our hopes were over.

We were the first team in the Euro section out after game 6 if I remember correctly - having taken 2 points from the first 6 games (2 of which Strachan was in charge, although difficult to lay blame on him as they were his first games).

The rest of the campaign allowed Strachan to develop the team/squad with no pressure - wins in Croatia and Macedonia, and a home win against Croatia were excellent.

I still can't see any improvement (we still haven't qualified, we're not bringing youngsters though, we have an ageing team, we can't break teams down, we don't create enough chances, and it's generally pretty awful to watch).

Two points from three games (two of which were at home to Serbia and Macedonia) hope gone without a doubt just three games in. Here hope remained until the last minute of our penultimate game.

Improvement has been evident on the world ranking front and we are far better to watch than we ever were under Levein. Not saying Strachan is marvellous but give me him any day to Levein.

For me Strachan has to stay but on your point about wings backs, I believe that one of our main problems is that our full backs are pretty good going forward like wing backs but pish at defending. Hutton, Whittaker and Robertson. Lee Wallace (yes I can already hear the hoots of derision) probably the same but not seen him a lot so this may be unfair. Not seen a lot of Shinnie either so opinions welcomed.

Levein had the same squad of players as Strachan has.

The no hopers said Levein was doing the best anyone could, they were wrong.

History is repeating itself.

Strachan has made basic fundamental errors. I don't want to force him out, but if he goes, I don't think it will be a loss.

Strachan has made basic fundamental errors. I don't want to force him out, but if he goes, I don't think it will be a loss.

I don't think you will be saying that once you see the SFA shortlist of Mark McGhee, Jimmy Calderwood and Bobby Williamson. Or if we are lucky we may get Billy Stark flung in there. Heck I'd sooner have Billy Smart - at least he knew how to work with clowns.

Levein had the same squad of players as Strachan has.

The no hopers said Levein was doing the best anyone could, they were wrong.

History is repeating itself.

Towards the end of Levein's tenure, there was a pretty strong movement in favour of WGS (I remember the SOS Strachan banner) - so any suggestions as to a successor? I am struggling to name any realistic options but remain in favour of wee man staying regardless.

That's very poor.

Not sure much point in dredging up the Levein regime again. That doesn't offer any hint of a solution or way forward.

A better debate would be whether people would prefer Martin O'Neill's approach and results.

Or anyway how else to make Scotland more robust at the back.

I don't think you will be saying that once you see the SFA shortlist of Mark McGhee, Jimmy Calderwood and Bobby Williamson. Or if we are lucky we may get Billy Stark flung in there. Heck I'd sooner have Billy Smart - at least he knew how to work with clowns.

You do not know that will be the shortlist and as i said on another thread it's very much unlikely to be

Any poor appointment could potentially result in an extreme loss of revenue and we know thats all the SFA care about

Thats just being defeatist.

None of those names would be on the shortlist, however ever one of them would have achieved 4th place in this group.

Two points from three games (two of which were at home to Serbia and Macedonia) hope gone without a doubt just three games in. Here hope remained until the last minute of our penultimate game.

Improvement has been evident on the world ranking front and we are far better to watch than we ever were under Levein. Not saying Strachan is marvellous but give me him any day to Levein.

Nonsense.

Your hope was gone after 3 games of the last campaign, but not after losing to Georgia and Germany last month? This left us having to beat a Poland team with one of the best strikers in Europe. Losing in Georgia killed our chances of realistically making France next year. Says a lot when we were basing our hopes on Germany demolishing Ireland.

Under Levein we could have qualified by beating Spain in Alicante.

If you're going to point to world rankings, we ended up in 5 team groups in 2010 and 2012 qualifiers. Those were harmful to our ranking points as we were playing less competitive games. The last two campaigns have been 6 team groups, so it's obvious our ranking would improve. Levein managed to beat the 5th seeds twice; Strachan didn't. Wales went from pot 5 in 2014 qualifiers, to qualification for 2016 (albeit at an expanded tournament).

I think we've played awful football under a variety of managers for the last 8 years.

Towards the end of Levein's tenure, there was a pretty strong movement in favour of WGS (I remember the SOS Strachan banner) - so any suggestions as to a successor? I am struggling to name any realistic options but remain in favour of wee man staying regardless.

Plenty of foreigners, who knows who could be interested. It's a year to our next game, we don't need to get someone in instantly.

Nonsense.

Your hope was gone after 3 games of the last campaign, but not after losing to Georgia and Germany last month? This left us having to beat a Poland team with one of the best strikers in Europe. Losing in Georgia killed our chances of realistically making France next year. Says a lot when we were basing our hopes on Germany demolishing Ireland.

Under Levein we could have qualified by beating Spain in Alicante.

If you're going to point to world rankings, we ended up in 5 team groups in 2010 and 2012 qualifiers. Those were harmful to our ranking points as we were playing less competitive games. The last two campaigns have been 6 team groups, so it's obvious our ranking would improve. Levein managed to beat the 5th seeds twice; Strachan didn't. Wales went from pot 5 in 2014 qualifiers, to qualification for 2016 (albeit at an expanded tournament).

I think we've played awful football under a variety of managers for the last 8 years.

What are you babbling about? We were all but out three games into the last campaign - hope all gone. Going to Hampden on Thursday (7th game of this campaign) the hope was still there and begun to lift about when we were leading 2-1 and Ireland were yet to score so I have no idea what you are waffling on about.