Condolences From Ireland - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Condolences From Ireland

TheBoysinGreen

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have still got Proclaimers Sunshine on Leith on loop this last few days

Wouldl i be unfair saying that the qualification means more to Scots than the Irish ? Always got idea that Irish lads were more into their Rugby and Gaelic Football

Think that is why there is such a disappointed reaction from us

Doesn't feel like 17 years ago we were in France - Still disappointed my friends wouldn't go to Italy in 90 which dissuaded me, or considered hard enough to go to Sweden in 92 - (cant even remember why didn't go - had been to sweden a few times previously - probably price of beer burned me off, being £2.50 a beer in 89, although had professional exams around that time as well )

An embarrassing thread.

Sure Irish fans enjoyed their trip to Glasgow & the Scottish fans were tremendous craic in Dublin - what a great weekend that was.

Football is however all about results & I fervently hoped that Scotland as our nearest challenger lost their games & was naturally delighted when Georgia put the cat among the pigeons .

If Ireland manage to qualify for France I for one will not be looking around & saying isn't it a pity that Scottish fans are not here !

While I appreciate the general bonhomie between both sets of fans this condolence nonsense is bollox .

As for this long ball discussion - you play to your strengths & Scotland seem remarkably naive in this regard , playing football on the deck is one thing but the reality is that you need to have the players equipped to do so

An embarrassing thread.

Sure Irish fans enjoyed their trip to Glasgow & the Scottish fans were tremendous craic in Dublin - what a great weekend that was.

Football is however all about results & I fervently hoped that Scotland as our nearest challenger lost their games & was naturally delighted when Georgia put the cat among the pigeons .

If Ireland manage to qualify for France I for one will not be looking around & saying isn't it a pity that Scottish fans are not here !

While I appreciate the general bonhomie between both sets of fans this condolence nonsense is bollox .

As for this long ball discussion - you play to your strengths & Scotland seem remarkably naive in this regard , playing football on the deck is one thing but the reality is that you need to have the players equipped to do so

True good luck to Eire but had we qualified i wouldn't have cared where Ireland finished. Aaron Ramsey said about Wales that Coleman has made them hard to beat. You's have proved to be hard to beat yet we are so easy to play against and so naive it's embarrassing. Strachan needs to sort us out in that regard, just not good enough. Edited by radian_13

Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with some of you guys ?

The Irish lads made a few totally sound, well mannered posts commiserating with us on our failure once again and some of you are accusing them of winding us up !

I'm suspecting that some on here posted in this thread with a few beers in them and now regret what they've posted. I do hope that they are good enough to apologise to our Irish friends.

Some people really need to get a grip of themselves, acting like a bunch of prissy wee schoolkids.

FFS what's wrong with some of you lot ? The Irish lads have done nothing wrong.

A fine image this presents to outsiders of the TA.

Thanks for that.....

No offence, but why are you posting on a Tartan Army message board?

What is your problem with the Irish posters ? They have done nothing wrong and haven't engaged in any baiting or anti-scottish nonsense of any kind ?

Is this board just for Scots and everyone else can feck off then ? "We don't want them round here".

Edited by ErsatzThistle

What is your problem with the Irish posters ? They have done nothing wrong and haven't engaged in any baiting or anti-scottish nonsense of any kind ?

Is this board just for Scots and everyone else can feck off then ? "We don't want them round here".

I think the Irish posters on here have been good value generally. Particularly green tide rising, who has been objective and fair.

But the original post on this thread is a bit provocative. Yes there are a few wallopers on here with some heavily partisan viewpoints, but it is the TAMB, and one place where people should be allowed to vent even if their viewpoint is nonsense.

Having said that, a (very) few posts ive seen on here (not in this thread) over the last year have been borderline xenophobic. Cringe to see it

I think what is almost forgotten is that a good number of the Irish lads who posted on here went out of their way in giving guidance into the best hotels, pubs, areas to avoid etc for the trip to Dublin. And now all of a sudden because we have gone out and Ireland still have a chance of making the Finals we throw the toys out the pram we tell them they are no longer welcome.

Get a grip FFS.

What is your problem with the Irish posters ? They have done nothing wrong and haven't engaged in any baiting or anti-scottish nonsense of any kind ?Is this board just for Scots and everyone else can feck off then ? "We don't want them round here".

Cheers matie.......

The creator of this thread seems to think he speaks for the whole of Ireland. The last thread I remember from him was called something like : 'The view from Ireland' and had a similar slight trolling feel to it. There isn't that much between the two teams, Ireland do play more long ball, but definitely not as much as under Trapattoni. He absolutely forbade playing the ball out of defence or even much through midfield. O 'Neill doesn't, but he is against over doing that . In the last few games the team has definitely started playing more football. The players also look to be totally behind the manager now.

Scotland are not that far away and should definitely keep Gordon Strachan. Your world cup group isn't as hard as this one, with a good chance to come second to England for a play-off place at least. I also don't think there's much between you and Wales, their group looked difficult on paper but didn't work out that way.

For what its worth, I don't think we'll qualify. I can see a 1-0 for Poland tomorrow and someone horrible in the play-offs, as it looks like maybe we won't be seeded. Wales didn't do us a favour losing to Bosnia tonight, pushing them ahead of us into the final seeded place of the third place teams, at the moment.

Good luck in the future lads.

I just want to offer my genuine condolences to Scottish fans. Last night must be a bitter pill to swallow but you'll bounce back. If "Wee Gordon" sorts out your defence you can certainly challenge for a play off in the next campaign. Not all but I think most of you got a little bit carried away with the optimism last year over the fact you lost to Germany and drew with the Poles and managed to pass the ball a bit which was understandable to be honest. To the genuine Tartan Army fans I'm genuinely sorry and would have loved to have drank with you in France (if we make it obviously)

However to the bitter Scots on here who calls us "pish" (4 points against the world champions.. Yeah we're "pish" alright" I find some of the bitters completely judged us on one game in Parkhead and just decided we weren't up to much. I laughed at one lad who posted here last night "Scotland are still better".. Well I'm not one to gloat but the table doesn't lie and rose tinted glasses must be selling by the bucket load in parts of Scotland. One person posted "ach pish the cannae only beat Germany with a long ball" Didn't Scotland draw with Poland last year with a long ball? Short memories and all that. The way a minority go on here you'd swear Scotland had revolutionised the way the game was played last year. I predicted even after our game in June when I was told by some Scot "we'll send you a postcard next summer" that the wheels would come off the Scottish cart and they most certainly did. The postcard that lad will be sending me will be from the. Lake District now.

To the genuine Scots I'm sincerely sorry for you and wanted you in France to the bitter ones I can only laugh.

Thanks but no thanks. Hope Lew score 5 today and you lose in the play off. The long ball lumping won't bring anything to the tournament next summer.

If we didn't make the top 3 in this group we wouldn't be blaming anyone but ourselves, we have been below par on many occasion in this group but somehow managed to scrape 2nd3rd(luck of the Irish eh?) I wouldn't be wishing bad on another nation if we failed that is for sure, least of all the scots who I thoroughly enjoyed being in your group for the 2 games and the fans I met along the way.

The guy who started this post is just getting his own back on some of the ridiculous sneering we did after beating them. Let him have his moment, which will be short lived as I think they'll lose tonight and may yet be at home with us in the summer. The discussion raises a more serious point though. Anyone else think we should take a leaf out of Irelands book by keeping things tight and trying to nick a goal? Our current approach for me doesn't work as we simply don't have the defenders to execute it effectively. We will always concede, even tonight probably.

But why would we wish bad on another nation? If anyone would be to blame we would have said Martin for his at times bizarre team selections but somehow they have got us this far, genuinely I don't know anyone that would wish bad on the scots had we failed to achieve 2nd/3rd, I was hoping both of us could have made up those spots and not the Poles.

Who said anything about world beaters? Christ the shite being posted here is petty and ridiculous, next you're gonna say we think we'll win the euros ffs! Anyone Scottish who wouldn't swap positions with us regardless of what football we play is lying or just an idiot.

Maybe you should stop trying to play good football with your limited bunch and learn from us who are similar and quite limited yet can affective, just an idea instead of slating us!