Golfers Forum. - Page 30 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Man or moose, min? If you are this hen pecked at this stage, your golf career could be over in a couple of years time. :lol:

My golf career was over a long time ago,probably before it started. 

Mom just playing for fun now. :lol:

On 2 June 2016 at 9:35 AM, wee-toon-red said:

Machrihanish. Get a cottage at www.machrihanishdunes.com and play both the original Machrihanish and the new Mach Dunes course.

Had a look at this,just too far away. 

Need home for darts on the Monday night too,Tain has been booked for the Sunday and Dornoch in the Monday. 

Looking forward to a wee jaunt away. 

On 1 June 2016 at 11:25 PM, dandydunn said:

Right. 

Suggestion time,we're looking on going away on Ryder cup Sunday,playing Sunday and Monday. 

First thrown into the pot is tain and dornoch. 

Carnoustie,st Andrews and glen eagles are out as it's the dunhill cup the next week. 

So go on,throw some ideas about please. :ok:

Edit: We obviously need somewhere that we can watch the golf late into the night. 

I'm a member in Tain, course is in great condition at the moment.

Tain and Dornoch a great shout (Brora also very decent).  Stay in the Castle Hotel in Dornoch.  If you drink enough whisky and stay up late, the barman will give you the keys to the bar and an honesty box.  Take some paracetamol.

Another shout would be to go to Lossiemouth.  Moray Old (Links) and Elgin (Parkland) are two of the most underrated and excellent courses I've played.  Lossie also good for a night oot - plenty of decent pubs.

On 6 June 2016 at 9:31 AM, dandydunn said:

That's the one. You be playing in it?

No, need to improve a bit yet before I'd be confident (of not embarrassing myself) in a competition!

mainly just a casual golfer at the moment.

11 minutes ago, ibelieve!!! said:

No, need to improve a bit yet before I'd be confident (of not embarrassing myself) in a competition!

mainly just a casual golfer at the moment.

Don't ever be embarrassed to enter something. 

I've seen all standard of golfers at opens I've played in. 

Best way to get better is to play with better players and can quite often pick up tips from them,just by merely watching. 

Everyone starts somewhere and if people comment on your ability,tell them to go fvck themselves. 

2 hours ago, fringo said:

Anyone played Edzell ?

First game of the year there tomorrow. I've heard it's quite tough (long drives?) and I'm lucky if I can break 100 on a good day.

Might be a bad day for me tomorrow ? :(

Aye, loads of times. It's a great course with a great variety of holes. It's 6500 yards off the white tees and 6100 off the yellows but always seems to play longer. It always seems to be windy every time I have played it, which can be very deceptive as a lot of the tees are sheltered. My favourite hole is the par 5 9th which is one huge dog leg. If you are playing it into the wind you can start to wonder if you will ever see the green.:lol:

Only 3 par 3s which is a wee bit unusual. The club house does good grub

30 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, loads of times. It's a great course with a great variety of holes. It's 6500 yards off the white tees and 6100 off the yellows but always seems to play longer. It always seems to be windy every time I have played it, which can be very deceptive as a lot of the tees are sheltered. My favourite hole is the par 5 9th which is one huge dog leg. If you are playing it into the wind you can start to wonder if you will ever see the green.:lol:

Only 3 par 3s which is a wee bit unusual. The club house does good grub

Cheers. Defo not playing off the white tees. Looks like rain tomorrow rather than wind but could be a long day.

3 people I've spoken to now and all have mentioned the grub too. Unfortunately we're dashing back to Dundee straight after.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Enjoy your day and try not to put too many baws in the river.:ok:

Sadly we're ditching it now. Weather is heavy rain, rain, more rain, heavy rain etc.

I'm not that keen so will either head for Fife or a more leisurely day of eating, drinking and football in the dry, warmth of pub and at home.

5 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Managed to qualify for the knockout stages of the club championship. Only 16 slots, so happy with that. Play again on Wednesday. 

:ok:

I play my first round match next week (handicap clubber)

Stick in. 

Havent played golf in anger since I was a teenager (20+ years ago) but just joined Ratho Park and cant wait to get going. Expecting a high handicap to start with but that's fine - there's a half decent game in me somewhere and Im looking forward to playing regularly and competitively for once.

10 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Havent played golf in anger since I was a teenager (20+ years ago) but just joined Ratho Park and cant wait to get going. Expecting a high handicap to start with but that's fine - there's a half decent game in me somewhere and Im looking forward to playing regularly and competitively for once.

Good luck. Have you got new clubs? The technology has changed a fair bit in 20 years.

Got a membership this year for the first time since i was 15. Enjoying it far more than I ever did, probably because I can hit the ball more thsn ten feet now. Driving can be wild but getting there with it. One day ill be consistant.

On 6/14/2016 at 11:27 PM, Orraloon said:

Good luck. Have you got new clubs? The technology has changed a fair bit in 20 years.

Thanks. Got a cheap set of clubs about 10 years ago for a trip to Vancouver. Looking to get a new set fitted next year maybe. Hard enough justifying the money on a membership without buying a new set of clubs as well. :) But on shopping list: new clubs, new bag, trolley. Not a cheap hobby that's for sure. :)

6 hours ago, Kirk said:

Got a membership this year for the first time since i was 15. Enjoying it far more than I ever did, probably because I can hit the ball more thsn ten feet now. Driving can be wild but getting there with it. One day ill be consistant.

Likewise. Game is very inconsistent at moment but hoping a regular game will sort that out over time. 

31 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Thanks. Got a cheap set of clubs about 10 years ago for a trip to Vancouver. Looking to get a new set fitted next year maybe. Hard enough justifying the money on a membership without buying a new set of clubs as well. :) But on shopping list: new clubs, new bag, trolley. Not a cheap hobby that's for sure. :)

Likewise. Game is very inconsistent at moment but hoping a regular game will sort that out over time. 

Ebay or Golf Bidder can be a good way to pick up decent second hand clubs relatively inexpensively.  Would stick to online pro-shops or individuals selling their own second hand clubs as there are some fakes around.  Even if you get some decent prices on Ebay, speak to you club pro for a comparison as most will try and do a deal for you.  As Orraloon says, technology in golf has really evolved in the last 10-20 years.  Happy to make some recommendations for you but any decent club pro will steer you in the right direction. What clubs you using just now?

Just using a cheap set of RAMs. 10 year old. They do the job. Less concerned about the clubs than I am about my swing, although getting a proper fit is probably main reason for getting a new set. Can hit them well enough anyway - just consistency that's the issue. Like I said, after shelling out on green fees, set of clubs will have to wait for Santa I think.