Golfers Forum. - Page 34 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

48 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

I've always found that it helps although there is a very very fine line ,enough fizz to allow you to open your shoulders and boom the ball down the fairway to sclaffing it off the tee/air shot/huge divot ...

That line was crossed before we got near the golf course. 

Sure it changes depending on which category you are in, but I was under impression you were only expected to buffer or better less than 50% of the time - and within that, beating your buffer (and getting cut), was only around 20% of the rounds you play. Most of the time, you were taking 0.1.

Handicaps are definitely intended to be stretch goals you beat on a good day. Otherwise, we'd all be getting cut regularly. As it happens, most are taking 0.1, maybe enjoying the buffer zone, but every so often basking in the glory of cut. If you are being cut regularly, you are either on wrong handicap or in period of improvement.

22 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

Well done Jim Furyk a round of 58 which matches my front nine from yesterday...........

Must have been an amazing round especially when he parred the last two

Great to see Russell Knox win the tournament, must have a good chance for a place in the Ryder cup 

54 minutes ago, DOUBLE A said:

Great to see Russell Knox win the tournament, must have a good chance for a place in the Ryder cup 

I had £5 ew on Knox and cashed out when he hit his drive on the last cost me about £15 but still a nice wee lift.

3 hours ago, DOUBLE A said:

You've got to think he has a chance, especially as it's over there, where he plays most of his golf. 

He is comfortably next in line on the World money list but is 30th on the European Tour list which could prove his downfall. 

There are a few players such as Kjeldson , Hatton,  Westwood, Lowry and Kaymer that are right up there on both and are all playing well. 

Personally I think Westwood and Kaymer will be picked given their experience in the event, so it only leaves one spot. Anyone of them would be justified,  Knox certainly can't do any more. Hope he Gets it. 

10 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

You've got to think he has a chance, especially as it's over there, where he plays most of his golf. 

He is comfortably next in line on the World money list but is 30th on the European Tour list which could prove his downfall. 

There are a few players such as Kjeldson , Hatton,  Westwood, Lowry and Kaymer that are right up there on both and are all playing well. 

Personally I think Westwood and Kaymer will be picked given their experience in the event, so it only leaves one spot. Anyone of them would be justified,  Knox certainly can't do any more. Hope he Gets it. 

In the latest wordl rankings, Knox (18th) is the sixth highest European so you've got to hope that's in his favour as well.

I agree that Westwood and Kaymer will be guaranteed and I think the last pick will come down to Knox or Graeme McDowell. Out of those two you've got to say that Knox is in better form, however if he gets the pick it'll mean six rookies in the team which could swing things in favour of G Mac.

Agree about Westwood and Kaymer. Id be taking Knox over McDowell every day of the week, although might come down to personalities and who Clarke thinks needs a partner and how well Knox/McDowell would gel with potential partners/team mates. Being honest, Ive never been keen on McDowell and from what Ive seen, Knox seems quite closed so not sure how well he'd slot right in.

Tough call for Clarke. I'd opt for Knox on basis of form alone.

23 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Agree about Westwood and Kaymer. Id be taking Knox over McDowell every day of the week, although might come down to personalities and who Clarke thinks needs a partner and how well Knox/McDowell would gel with potential partners/team mates. Being honest, Ive never been keen on McDowell and from what Ive seen, Knox seems quite closed so not sure how well he'd slot right in.

Tough call for Clarke. I'd opt for Knox on basis of form alone.

I would have thought it would be Knox v Lowery. Would not be impressed if McDowell got anywhere near the team.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back up in Scotland for a few days- played Westerwood in Cumbernauld on Sunday night - last played it over 15 years ago - remembered it as being pretty decent years ago - but seems to have gone downhill quite a bit now - layout totally changed -spent more time walking between holes than actually playing them . Back nine way superior to front nine. Okay for a tenner though.

Played three excellent courses in Lincolnshire last weekend - Boston West , Skegness North Shore (one of my all time favourites - loved it) and Sandilands near Mablethorpe.

Playing as many courses as I can in the North East of England while I'm living in Newcastle  -favourite so far Brancepeth Castle near Durham - lots of really good courses at cheap prices on the website teeofftimes. 

Anyone able to offer any advice on playing golf in Portugal?  Going on a family holiday to Albufeira at the end of the month so me and my mate are gonna get a round one day. 

It's only one day so just going to take, balls, shoes, glove etc and hire clubs out there.  Been told to wait until we get there before booking anything, although person that told me that couldn't really give specifics, just that he seen advertisements. We are probably going to play one of the Oceanico Courses.  Had initially looked at Victoria or the Old Course but a mate of mine has said he much preferred the Millenium or Laguna.  TBH all of them look excellent so don't thin we will go wrong.

Anyone have experience of picking up deals whilst on holiday?  Most people you speak to, it's been a proper golfing holiday they have been on so don't have much experience of club hire etc.

cheers.

Surprised myself by winning the competition at Machrihanish on Saturday

That was the fourth one I've played this year and managed 2 wins, a 3rd and a NR, started the season at 11.5 and now 9.9 so the one round of golf in single figures might be in reach next season 

3 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Anyone able to offer any advice on playing golf in Portugal?  Going on a family holiday to Albufeira at the end of the month so me and my mate are gonna get a round one day. 

It's only one day so just going to take, balls, shoes, glove etc and hire clubs out there.  Been told to wait until we get there before booking anything, although person that told me that couldn't really give specifics, just that he seen advertisements. We are probably going to play one of the Oceanico Courses.  Had initially looked at Victoria or the Old Course but a mate of mine has said he much preferred the Millenium or Laguna.  TBH all of them look excellent so don't thin we will go wrong.

Anyone have experience of picking up deals whilst on holiday?  Most people you speak to, it's been a proper golfing holiday they have been on so don't have much experience of club hire etc.

cheers.

Angus - I've played a bit out there.  Victoria was probably one of my favourites. Avoid the Faldo courses (can't remember what they are called) - like him, they're not great.  There's also a course that's linked with a nice hotel (Penina I think - one of thie courses used to host the Portuguese Open) which is really good depending on the condition and there's quite often deals to be had.

1 hour ago, SMcoolJ said:

Angus - I've played a bit out there.  Victoria was probably one of my favourites. Avoid the Faldo courses (can't remember what they are called) - like him, they're not great.  There's also a course that's linked with a nice hotel (Penina I think - one of thie courses used to host the Portuguese Open) which is really good depending on the condition and there's quite often deals to be had.

Cheers for that mate. Did you book before you went or just wait until you were there? 

I take it that's the Sir Henry Cotton one you are on about? Does look cracking. Probably a bit too far to travel. The Oceanica ones are only 10 minutes from where we are staying. The Faldo one is one of theirs and isactually just called 'The Faldo Course'. Don't think I fancy it anyway. 

On 1 September 2016 at 5:21 PM, Angus_Young said:

Cheers for that mate. Did you book before you went or just wait until you were there? 

I take it that's the Sir Henry Cotton one you are on about? Does look cracking. Probably a bit too far to travel. The Oceanica ones are only 10 minutes from where we are staying. The Faldo one is one of theirs and isactually just called 'The Faldo Course'. Don't think I fancy it anyway. 

I play over there pretty regular and I disagree re the Faldo and Oconner courses. They are always quiet and in stunning condition too.

The old this year in June was fantastic condition but silly slow and my favorite was Palmares which is just incredible.

From where you are staying I'd also recommend Pinta and any of the Quinta do Lago courses. The new one is very good. My mate is director of golf at Penheiros Altos but I'm not a fan of it as it always jam packed so rarely take advantage of that and use him to get us on elsewhere.