Golfers Forum. - Page 15 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

Thanks for all that. Scottcraigg looks interesting: I'd not heard of it before. But it's about the same money as the New.

We're playing the Kittocks as a corporate, and a wee group of us have arranged to stay over at the fairmmont. The lazy option is to play the Torrance next day, but I thought the New might be the more imaginative option. Dukes is too much of a slog for me.

I played Kingsbarns a few years ago, when I was only half interested in golf, and would love another chance on it. Was £50 pp back then (about 2007 I think), which is incredible value.

I played Scottscraig for the first time early in June. I liked it. Greens had been lightly scarified but imagine they'd be fine now. It's quite short and tight. But enjoyable and friendly - food as good!. You could also try Ladybank or Lundin Links - both excellent. Totally agree about the Dukes being a slog - shame because it's decent and in great nick.

Thanks for all that. Scottcraigg looks interesting: I'd not heard of it before. But it's about the same money as the New.

If that's the case then don't even consider Scotscraig. There is no way it's worth paying that sort of money for Scotscraig.

If that's the case then don't even consider Scotscraig. There is no way it's worth paying that sort of money for Scotscraig.

Agree - I'm sure we paid around £40 a head for Scotscraig but that was a Fri afternoon.

We're playing the Kittocks as a corporate, and a wee group of us have arranged to stay over at the fairmmont. The lazy option is to play the Torrance next day, but I thought the New might be the more imaginative option. Dukes is too much of a slog for me.

I played Kingsbarns a few years ago, when I was only half interested in golf, and would love another chance on it. Was £50 pp back then (about 2007 I think), which is incredible value.

You do know that the Fairmont isn't "in town"? It's a few miles outside the town.

You do know that the Fairmont isn't "in town"? It's a few miles outside the town.

Yes, stayed there a few times. It's in St Andrews compared to going home to Glasgow...

In other news, I've an invite to Mar Hall this week. On a scale of 8-10, how wet will it be underfoot and how slow will the greens be? Or is it better these days?

My work held our Scottish Open at Scotscraig last year. Really enjoyed it I must say. Has a real links feel to it and you do need to think about it on a good few holes.

They do some food/green fee deals from what I recall seeing. Sure we were around £70 for 36 holes with lunch and dinner.

13th oldest course in the world I believe.

Yes, stayed there a few times. It's in St Andrews compared to going home to Glasgow...

In other news, I've an invite to Mar Hall this week. On a scale of 8-10, how wet will it be underfoot and how slow will the greens be? Or is it better these days?

My course (Glasgow) currently about 9, and further west had / has more rain. Greens slow, but great for just flying at the pin.

That looks a fine course.

i really like it, but it's incredibly tricky. every hole has subtle card-wrecking abilities. I reckon if I had joined somewhere else nearby (esp Cathcart Castle), I'd be playing off 12-14, instead of the 16-17 I'm stuck at.

Despite the torrential rain yesterday and this morning Machrihanish was in fine nick this afternoon, a few wee bits of water but wasn't a problem, missed a putt on the last to take the cash, hopefully rectify that in the morning

Edited by DOUBLE A

Played at Mar Hall this morning in lovely conditions.

I'd last played there about 4 years ago in Autumn. My memories were not fond. However, despite the recent rainfall, the course was dry, in excellent condition, and the greens were lightning fast. (other than 3 or 4 of the back nine which seemed a bit sticky).

I've revised my opinion on the course. I'd judge it similar in age, style & length to The Carrick, but where I've vowed to never go back to Carrick, Mar Hall is well worth the effort. Great Views too:

11373595_1673191559566864_1740562976_n.j

Have you ever known anyone to punt their own book more than Ken Brown? Have a look at his Twitter feed. Never shut up about it during the Open too.

Ponsoby on Twitter doesn't mind a punt either. Will let him off.

On the subject of golf, was at Paul Lawrie Matchplay at Murcar today. As well organised as any of the Scottish Opens / Opens I've been to and due to the much smaller crowd we got much closer to the action than normal.

Warren was not a this best today, putting was awful, that goes for Anhibarnrat as well.

Murcar looked in great condition, but looks so tough, played it a few years ago and can't remember the fairways being so tight, but for £7.50 entry I really enjoyed the day - food, beer etc was pretty reasonably priced as well, one tea stall was giving free busicuits away to folk and tea and a massive wedge of cake £1. Will hopefully get to go back next year.

Ponsoby on Twitter doesn't mind a punt either. Will let him off.

On the subject of golf, was at Paul Lawrie Matchplay at Murcar today. As well organised as any of the Scottish Opens / Opens I've been to and due to the much smaller crowd we got much closer to the action than normal.

Warren was not a this best today, putting was awful, that goes for Anhibarnrat as well.

Murcar looked in great condition, but looks so tough, played it a few years ago and can't remember the fairways being so tight, but for £7.50 entry I really enjoyed the day - food, beer etc was pretty reasonably priced as well, one tea stall was giving free busicuits away to folk and tea and a massive wedge of cake £1. Will hopefully get to go back next year.

The fairways were obviously pulled in for this,they aren't that narrow normally.

I played it a couple of months back and it was nothing like that.

A tough course yes,but not impossible.

If they left it how it normally sets up,these boys would've ripped it apart.

The fairways were obviously pulled in for this,they aren't that narrow normally.

I played it a couple of months back and it was nothing like that.

A tough course yes,but not impossible.

If they left it how it normally sets up,these boys would've ripped it apart.

RAGC is the same at the moment though. It's been so wet with a couple of hot and dry spells it has been impossible to control it. Not fun. The auld boys are up in arms - and they're the ones who poke it down the middle!

How are all your courses holding up in this pish weather? Have to say, caps off to our greenkeepers - course is immaculate. Got new drainage in last year, which is certainly doing the business.

Our course is in great condition. What pish weather? We've had a great summer.

Edited by Orraloon

How are all your courses holding up in this pish weather? Have to say, caps off to our greenkeepers - course is immaculate. Got new drainage in last year, which is certainly doing the business.

Played at Kirkhill today, course in pretty good condition, hardly any water lying on the course and greens putting pretty well

Anyone ever have torn elbow ligaments before? I was playing in May and accidently hit the ground first before the ball when driving off - the impact shot up my arm and did the damage to the ligaments.

Played on my annual golf trip to Scotland in June with the aid of an elbow support, cocodamol and a hangover but set it back a wee bit. Itching to get back out there but not sure whether to wait till properly healed.

Anyone ever have torn elbow ligaments before? I was playing in May and accidently hit the ground first before the ball when driving off - the impact shot up my arm and did the damage to the ligaments.

Played on my annual golf trip to Scotland in June with the aid of an elbow support, cocodamol and a hangover but set it back a wee bit. Itching to get back out there but not sure whether to wait till properly healed.

As a (former) goalkeeper, aye, I've done it. It's nae nice. Whatever you do, don't push it.