The Sky Sports Super League - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Sky Sports Super League

Yeah, because City have invested nothing in youth or the local area in the last few years :ok:

City are shit at the Champions League - no way we should be favourites tonight. Last year, with 7 minutes left of matchday 5 we were finishing bottom of the group - how the hell we qualified I still don't know :shocked:

365 have City 19/20, Gladbach 3s and the draw 14/5. 3/1 is a generous price for Gladbach, I feel, but I still won't be touching it - it's not exactly a long time since we got pumped by FC k*ln or gave away three second half penalties against Sevilla.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

365 have City 19/20, Gladbach 3s and the draw 14/5. 3/1 is a generous price for Gladbach, I feel, but I still won't be touching it - it's not exactly a long time since we got pumped by FC k*ln or gave away three second half penalties against Sevilla.

A very good price - especially against that City defence that played at the weekend - hopefully Hart is back to shore it up a bit for City

Time for you to make your comment Parkie

Edited by Glasgowmancity

A very good price - especially against that City defence that played at the weekend - hopefully Hart is back to shore it up a bit for City

Time for you to make your comment Parkie

I didn't see the game at the weekend, but heard a lot of the problems came from a lack of midfield protection? Hope it continues tonight :lol:

I didn't see the game at the weekend, but heard a lot of the problems came from a lack of midfield protection? Hope it continues tonight :lol:

Of the goals, 2 were offside & 2 were defensive howlers. Yaya should be back, so that's another plus point for the Germans :ok:

Edited by Glasgowmancity

2 were offside & 2 were defensive howlers. Yaya should be back, so that's another plus point for the Germans :ok:

I can see our midfielders struggling to cope with him, to be honest. We've been ropey in there this season, and seem to be relying more and more on a young lad who's just breaking into the team.

I just want good football. Good football doesn't always equal goals IMO.

Something I try to explain to braindead Yanks constantly. Their "reason" for hating saaaaccer is that they say there is not enough points(goals) scored. When in reality they are just too biased with their 'Murica is the best at everything attitude.

It's unreal. How many times have they hyped a massive game between 2 of the top teams and we've been treated to a boring 1-0 game?

I see that it's Arsenal v Man U this Sunday - another 1-0?

to be fair it was the same up here when Celtic played the old Rangers,hyped up to and turned out to be generally pish,they still tried to spin it even after the game

we have pundits like Craig Paterson describing players up here as quality,basic passing as excellent,a big standard finish as brilliant and the likes

Edited by Langtonian

If Juve go far in the CL and the Italian teams do well in the EL, along with a poor showing by the English teams and it will be squeaky bum time.

Not really.

As mentioned earlier in the thread England have already increased their 'lead' over Italy due to them having 4 teams in the group stages compared to two Tally sides.

big bonus points awarded for getting out of the group stages too. Think it would require no English teams get out of the group and Juve to get semi final for it to make a significant impact.

Not really.

As mentioned earlier in the thread England have already increased their 'lead' over Italy due to them having 4 teams in the group stages compared to two Tally sides.

big bonus points awarded for getting out of the group stages too. Think it would require no English teams get out of the group and Juve to get semi final for it to make a significant impact.

Yes but EL counts a fair bit too remember. And as it stands I'd say only Chelsea will qualify.

Yes but EL counts a fair bit too remember. And as it stands I'd say only Chelsea will qualify.

Not as much as you might think m8. Bonus points for getting to group stage are only half that of champs league, and no bonus points for getting to last 16. Also worth noting that although Italy have one more team in the EL just now, it's likely that the English CL sides will drop into the EL if they don't qualify.

It's looking grim for Roma too so even if it was only Chelsea, you will probably find Italy won't make any real inroads, in fact it will probably be an increase to Englands advantage if anything.

Not as much as you might think m8. Bonus points for getting to group stage are only half that of champs league, and no bonus points for getting to last 16. Also worth noting that although Italy have one more team in the EL just now, it's likely that the English CL sides will drop into the EL if they don't qualify.

It's looking grim for Roma too so even if it was only Chelsea, you will probably find Italy won't make any real inroads, in fact it will probably be an increase to Englands advantage if anything.

Listening to a podcast the other day I heard one of the European journos (Honigstein or Marcotti, I think) talking about this. Apparently, you need to make the semis of the EL to beat last 16 of CL, in terms of coefficient points.

Listening to a podcast the other day I heard one of the European journos (Honigstein or Marcotti, I think) talking about this. Apparently, you need to make the semis of the EL to beat last 16 of CL, in terms of coefficient points.

Thats not even guaranteed as it would depend how many games you won.

Bonus points in champions league group is in addition to the points awarded for winning and drawing games. This isn't the case in the Europa league. The 'bonus' points for getting to the group stage isn't actually a bonus, it's the minimum a club is awarded for getting there. Eg if a club only wins two games in the EL then gets papped out they would only get 4 points for the two wins. In the CL, under the same scenario the club would get 8. 4 for the two wins and 4 bonus points for getting there. They then get another 5 for getting to last 16.

It's a system very much designed to favour clubs/countries that can consistently compete and win games at CL level. Very difficult to bridge those sort of gaps once you have them.

Silly me, I forgot that the whole City team is full of local lads brought up through their youth system.

Sorry how many top teams have their whole team made up of local lads that came through their youth system?

In fact, scrap that, how many teams have their whole team made up of local lads that came through their youth system?