Form Since Referendum - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Form Since Referendum

Doric

Have we played well since the referendum last September ? Has the No result dad a negative effect on the team? We beat Ireland in November but never really played that well.Last time we played well was in Dortmund when the polls had us in the lead just before the referendum.Lets hope we can beat the Poles next month or we are looking at being a nation of bottle merchants !!!!

Nah think thats wrong.These are professional football players your talking aboot besides a good few of them would have voted no

Most of them wouldn't have voted at all, as most players in the current squad live outside Scotland.

I am quite sure the referendum result has had hee-haw effect on the fortunes of our national team. An underinvestment in youth football, a coaching system and philosophy that has long since been superseded by newer, more innovate methods; a falling birth rate, poor diets and a greater variety of ways for kids to entertain themselves - all of these are far more salient reasons for why our team has gone from tournament regulars to also-rans than any single political moment.

Some of those reasons feed in politics; there can't be many teams in Europe whose games aren't shown live on 'cooncil telly' and the lack of kids/increase in fat kids can be addressed by political means if the will is there to do so. But I don't think the outcome of the vote in itself has had any great effect on the team's current form.

I agree that there is unlikely to be a correlation with our relative slump in form and the referendum for the reasons already outlined, but I do wonder about our possible collective bottle smashing at key games and a connection with not governing ourselves. For decades and decades the GB establishment's and media's narrative is that we couldn't / shouldn't rule our own affairs, and so possibly we have ended up with a collective shitebag psyche. I really, really hope we disprove that theory by thrashing the Poles!

If we finnish 3rd and win the playoff the country will have a new lease of life!

In the run up to the euro's, Saltires will be hanging out everyone's windows, bars will be jam packed, kids running around in Scotland tops instead of English premiership tops etc etc...

Keep the faith!!!