Breaking: Possible Indyref 2 Is On - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Breaking: Possible Indyref 2 Is On

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Labour generally have a lefty and a righty in their leadership team: think Foot/Healey; or Prescott/Blair; or Kinnock/Hattersley (Kinnock was initially a lefty but rapidly changed his tune).

I think Tom Harris could do a good job for Labour. He's a pugnacious wee guy who can do all the politicking and get in the Tories' faces, while Corbyn plays the sage figurehead.

Lonely Murray was pretty much guaranteed a job, no matter who became leader.

Absolutely. I am sure Corbyn will be horrified if and when he learns about some of the stuff Labour in Scotland got up to during the referendum.

I may have imagined it but I am sure I read somewhere that he said Labour made a mistake in joining Better Together.

:yikes3::yikes3: Surly no. :blink: Did he win a bi election that I missed?

Anyway, looks like John McDonnell has got the Shadow Chancellor's gig after all:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34240869

Now I come to think of it, the fact that he was sharing a platform earlier today with Yanis Varoufakis might have been a bit of a clue.

All of sudden UK politics has become interesting again. :)

Anyway, looks like John McDonnell has got the Shadow Chancellor's gig after all:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34240869

Now I come to think of it, the fact that he was sharing a platform earlier today with Yanis Varoufakis might have been a bit of a clue.

All of sudden UK politics has become interesting again. :)

not half

John Rentoul @JohnRentoul 37m37 minutes ago

It'll take journalists a few days, but once they've been through John McDonnell's back-catalogue, the Labour Party will be a smoking ruin.

will be interesting to see if Scotland is that fecking stupid to go all in on Corbyn whilst England rejects him.

I'm now thinking indyref2 will be on the back of a crushing defeat for Corbyn led Labour in 2020.

My cousin was saying the exact same theory.

J

As Ive said a hundred times before, the SNP dont want a referendum soon and they dont have to promise one soon. They just have to do enough to keep it ticking over so that it's not far from the public mind. The referendum's great success was that it normalised independence - it become acceptable and common to consider it a viable political option. Once that happened, support for independence naturally grew. Same thing is happening now - the SNP will do enough to get it prominent in political and public life. It then becomes a viable topic in almost all political stories, and slowly but surely people are won over in their ones and twos.

At the very least, the SNP will use an EU exit as a trigger for another referendum meaning it's here to stay on the public agenda. Press love to hate it, and will write all day long about it, thereby doing the SNPs work for them.

not half

John Rentoul @JohnRentoul 37m37 minutes ago

It'll take journalists a few days, but once they've been through John McDonnell's back-catalogue, the Labour Party will be a smoking ruin.

The Torygraph are going tonto today. :lol:

Apparently the new Shadow Chancellor is from 'cloud cuckoo land':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/jeremy-warner/11863533/John-McDonnell-shadow-chancellor-Jeremy-Corbyn-Labour-cabinet.html

I've been an admirer of McDonnell since I first saw him speak at a TU rally a few years ago. The fact that he upsets the Torygraph so tells me he is doing something right. :)

The Torygraph are going tonto today. :lol:

Apparently the new Shadow Chancellor is from 'cloud cuckoo land':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/jeremy-warner/11863533/John-McDonnell-shadow-chancellor-Jeremy-Corbyn-Labour-cabinet.html

I've been an admirer of McDonnell since I first saw him speak at a TU rally a few years ago. The fact that he upsets the Torygraph so tells me he is doing something right. :)

Think the Torygraph conveniently forgets that Thatcher harboured a terrorist herself who was wanted in his home country for war crimes against his people.

But why let facts get in the way of an anti Marxist rant?

Hopefully not.

Of course, I meant Tom Watson. :oops:

Don't like Tom Watson much. Fair play to him for exposing News International's dirty tricks and all that but I find him to be a bit of a loud mouthed egotist who's in love with himself if I'm honest. He attacked Corbyn pretty regularly during the contest up until the final couple of weeks, I wonder if Corbyn trusts him 100% ?

I was also disappointed with Watson's attitude towards more devolution to Scotland in an interview a few months back were his attitude was that it was a trivial issue and he couldn't understand why we want more devolution and are not "coming together". Clearly he's another one that does not understand Scotland at all.

I'm still quietly confident of an SNP victory next year.

I'm still quietly confident of an SNP victory next year.

I'd say that's all but guaranteed. Scottish Labour have a LONG way to go before they could ever be seen as credible in Scotland, and with leaders in the vein of Duggy and Murphy et al they'll be lucky if they ever are... Neil Findlay must feel like a right dick for not standing for leader following the Labour Mayor and UK Labour leadership elections. :lol:

I'd say that's all but guaranteed. Scottish Labour have a LONG way to go before they could ever be seen as credible in Scotland, and with leaders in the vein of Duggy and Murphy et al they'll be lucky if they ever are... Neil Findlay must feel like a right dick for not standing for leader following the Labour Mayor and UK Labour leadership elections. :lol:

It's not "in the bag" and there's still a fair bit of time to go. Just don't want to see Sturgeon get too complacent.

With all due respect to them, if it were up to me I would retire yesterday's folk such as Mike Russell, Rosanna Cunnigham and Alex Neill, and get younger members in. However I believe they are all standing for re-election.

I also really do hope that rent controls form part of the 2016 manifesto, plenty of ordinary SNP members want them and so do the public. The party had better listen to them.

One thing I am confident of is that a certain Mr K. Gibson will retain his seat. :wink2:

Edited by ErsatzThistle