Lowest For Years - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lowest For Years

kumnio

Orraloon, on 08 Sept 2015 - 2:25 PM, said:

If Scotland want to qualify for major tournaments we have to win our home games. Not winning important home games is what has cost us.

Not beating the best team in the world at home is what has cost us? More so than failing to win away to a poor Georgia side?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not beating the best team in the world at home is what has cost us? More so than failing to win away to a poor Georgia side?

Just what I was thinking. Scotland should be looking to win all games at home but we all know a draw against teams of the calibre of Germany is accepted. What has cost us not just this campaign but the lot before also has been our appalling record against teams ranked way, way below us. Georgia and also I'll say Ireland away has cost us this time. Strachan didn't just make a mess of it in Georgia. He buggered up in Dublin too.

I was thinking more of the Poland game IF we faill to get a play off spot. We will be able to add them to the list of teams we have failed to beat at home. Wales, Serbia, Slovenia, Norway, Czech Rep, Belarus, Macedonia, Belgium. It's getting to be quite a long list. I'm sure I will have missed some.

If we are not good enough to win more than three out of five home games then we are probably not good enough to think we should only lose 1 out of 5 away games. It would be great to win more away games but we don't, and never have done, even when we were qualifying regularly. It's our home form which has plummeted in the last couple of decades. Teams used to come to Scotland and think they had done well if the went away with a point. Nowadays most teams come here thinking they have a decent chance of getting 3.

Orraloon, on 08 Sept 2015 - 4:44 PM, said:

I was thinking more of the Poland game IF we faill to get a play off spot. We will be able to add them to the list of teams we have failed to beat at home. Wales, Serbia, Slovenia, Norway, Czech Rep, Belarus, Macedonia, Belgium. It's getting to be quite a long list. I'm sure I will have missed some.

If we are not good enough to win more than three out of five home games then we are probably not good enough to think we should only lose 1 out of 5 away games. It would be great to win more away games but we don't, and never have done, even when we were qualifying regularly. It's our home form which has plummeted in the last couple of decades. Teams used to come to Scotland and think they had done well if the went away with a point. Nowadays most teams come here thinking they have a decent chance of getting 3.

I don't disagree about the general point that, in the past, home results have cost us big time.

I was just talking about this campaign to date. Where, if we'd won on Friday. We;d be 2 wins away from 2nd spot and a trip to France.

I don't disagree about the general point that, in the past, home results have cost us big time.

I was just talking about this campaign to date. Where, if we'd won on Friday. We;d be 2 wins away from 2nd spot and a trip to France.

Aye, it's frustrating but we just don't win many away games. Continually expecting it to happen isn't going to make it any more likely.

I'm starting to feel the same way about home games. :lol: Maybe we are just not good enough? I'll tell you after the Poland game :lol: .

Edited by Orraloon

It's our away record, often against weaker opposition, that has cost us in the last 10-15 years.

Our home record has been good to very good overall.

I'd be interested to see any tables or stats if they were available.

As far as I can make out, since 2000 we have played 74 competitive fixtures up to and including Germany last night (both 37 games home and away). These are the numbers I come up with:

Home Win: 57% (21/37)

Home Draw: 24% (9/27)

Home Loss: 19% (7/37)

Away Win: 32% (12/37)

Away Draw: 19% (7/37)

Away Loss: 49% (18/37)

I'd say we have a very good overall home record. Away however...losing 1 in 2 away games is never going to see us qualify for anything

As far as I can make out, since 2000 we have played 74 competitive fixtures up to and including Germany last night (both 37 games home and away). These are the numbers I come up with:

I'd say we have a very good overall home record. Away however...losing 1 in 2 away games is never going to see us qualify for anything

cheers.

I'll be honest, that's a better away record than I was expecting.

Me too. And 57% home record is pretty poor. We have already got 60% so far this campaign even of we don't beat Poland. The signs are not good. i would guess that the teams who qualify would have a home record closer to 75%.

Me too. And 57% home record is pretty poor. We have already got 60% so far this campaign even of we don't beat Poland. The signs are not good. i would guess that the teams who qualify would have a home record closer to 75%.

I actually thought it would be slightly better too, but if you also look at draws we've not lost 80% of our games but we have lost half our away games.

The stats must be wrong because we also lost to Holland in 2009.

Yup, you're right, I've had us down as an extra home win somewhere and missed out a defeat - the problem from looking from one screen to a spreadsheet! Was a right ball ache trying to find the error, I'll double check the away ones later on. The home stats should read:

Home Win: 54% (20/37)

Home Loss: 22% (8/37)

First ever post on here, to busy going to games to post on the interweb but hayho. As said above we don`t deserve to be there, we lack belief and we do not have one player who will stand up and take responsability. To many players passing the buck and no one will dare to have a shot from outside the box. The Georgia game has really summed us up as a team and we will be at home watching the weans while everybody else is in France, that`s it I`m of cause I`m about to greet.

7 defeats in 37 home competitive matches in 15 years is not the worst record in the world. Think they are:

Norway

Belarus

Italy

Spain

Germany

Belgium

Wales

I'm sure when we got beat at home by Belarus 04/05 it was our first home defeat in a WCQ since Wales in 1984/85.

The Norway defeat preceded the Belarus loss. Second game in the WC 2006 campaign. John Carew penalty after McFadden was sent off for deliberate hand ball on the goalline.

Right enough, I should have remembered that as I was at the Norway game too!

As a result of that they always seemed to have a man spare.always seemed to get to loose balls first. Classy stuff at times.

It was superb, when you look at the numbers in most cases they only threw 5 men (max) forward and it was just positional sense coupled with lovely pass & move stuff that caused our back 6 +3 mids all sorts of trouble. I hated watching a team make us look so utterly inept, but they were excellent.

Yup, you're right, I've had us down as an extra home win somewhere and missed out a defeat - the problem from looking from one screen to a spreadsheet! Was a right ball ache trying to find the error, I'll double check the away ones later on. The home stats should read:

Home Win: 54% (20/37)

Home Loss: 22% (8/37)

If we only win just over half of our homes we aint gonna qualify and we haven't.

This time around we are already at 60% minimum for the campaign and we will need it to be 80% if we are to get a play off spot.

If we only win just over half of our homes we aint gonna qualify and we haven't.

This time around we are already at 60% minimum for the campaign and we will need it to be 80% if we are to get a play off spot.

With draws included our home record is probably as good as numerous teams who have qualified in the last 15 years.

It's out crap away record that has killed us IMO.

Georgia on Friday and in 2007 being 2 very topical examples against much lower ranked teams.

It's our away record, often against weaker opposition, that has cost us in the last 10-15 years.

Our home record has been good to very good overall.

I'd be interested to see any tables or stats if they were available.

Woohoo! Stat project, love it love it love it :)

Good work, I decided to take the analysis back a bit further:-

1990s

Home Win: 72% (18/25)

Home Draw: 20% (5/25)

Home Loss: 8% (2/25)

Away Win: 40% (10/25)

Away Draw: 32% (8/25)

Away Loss: 28% (7/25)

1980s

Home Win: 55% (11/20)

Home Draw: 35% (7/20)

Home Loss: 10% (2/20)

Away Win: 32% (6/19)

Away Draw: 26% (5/19)

Away Loss: 42% (8/19)

1970s

Home Win: 69% (9/13)

Home Draw: 15% (2/13)

Home Loss: 15% (2/13)

Away Win: 31% (4/14)

Away Draw: 15% (2/14)

Away Loss: 62% (8/14)

I'm sure when we got beat at home by Belarus 04/05 it was our first home defeat in a WCQ since Wales in 1984/85.

And I might be wrong here but I think that might have been only our second ever defeat at home in a WC qualifier. Our first ever defeat at home in a WC qualifier was in 1965 to Poland.