Is 3Rd Place Realistically Gone? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is 3Rd Place Realistically Gone?

HampdenRoar

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Irish will have had a massive boost since Friday. They'll be desperate not to throw it away after being pretty much out.

Definite boost for us alright - wont want to f*ck it up this time .....although saying we were pretty much out before yere loss ....we were only 2 pts behind ye in fairness and had only lost one game in the group (to ye guys) and still had 12 pts to play for

Although in fairness i didnt expect ye to lose to georgia and was pretty dispondent after we didnt beat ye in dublin

needing to beat Poland and gib and hope Ireland don't win their final two.

We've won all of the last four competitive home games which gives me some hope.

Tonight, a point's a bonus but can't see it . My gut feeling for the next round: we'll beat Poland but can see the Irish sneaking a German draw and we'll just miss out.

If ye get any result against Germany tonight , i will be shocked.....equally if we get a result against germany i will be shocked ..... it will take a combination of a great performance from our respective teams and a germany team to play nowhere near their best for these results to happen.

However ye beat Poland ye have the playoffs at least.....i do expect us to get something in poland in our last game.....despite Irelands numerous faults .....i do think this is a type of game we wont lose, maybe even win.

Although if we dont beat georgia tonight...then it all counts for nothing for Ireland

Actually considering throwing a few quid on both of us beating Poland in our respective games in the final weekend of fixtures

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Good analysis on Wings over Scotland. A few ifs and buts - effectively Poland is our Cup Final, and would get us 3rd even if we lose to Germany, and as long as Ireland don't beat Germany in Dublin. It's the fact that the other teams have still to drop points against each other which is the leveller, and there is the hope that Georgia could take a few points off somebody else.

Germany tonight is a free go at a slim chance of second, but I am expecting a loss, and we move onto our cup tie against Poland.

Good analysis on Wings over Scotland. A few ifs and buts - effectively Poland is our Cup Final, and would get us 3rd even if we lose to Germany, and as long as Ireland don't beat Germany in Dublin. It's the fact that the other teams have still to drop points against each other which is the leveller, and there is the hope that Georgia could take a few points off somebody else.

Germany tonight is a free go at a slim chance of second, but I am expecting a loss, and we move onto our cup tie against Poland.

I am very confident that Georgia wont take any points off Poland. :wink2: So tonight is their last real chance to do us a favour. Probably wont happen though. We don't need their help tough, let's just concentrate on winning our own games.

Yeah just realised that - as we both wud beat germany and poland twice - hence knocking them well down the pecking order

It's been a really tight group right from the start. It still is a tight group and it will still be very tight after tonight's games, no matter what the results are. I am just glad we a are still in with a realistic chance.

It's been a really tight group right from the start. It still is a tight group and it will still be very tight after tonight's games, no matter what the results are. I am just glad we a are still in with a realistic chance.

For sure mate...unbelievably tight.....likewise with us...the fact that we are still in it despite dropping 4 points from 6 at home to ye and poland ..is crazy (thank god for our results in georgia and germany)

This group will go to the very last game to be decided ...for sure

This group will go to the very last game to be decided ...for sure

Aye, I thought that right from the start. I am still not sure whether we will be hopping for your lot to win, lose or draw in Warsaw. Probably wont matter as we will probably it up against Gibraltar anyway. :lol:

I think 3rd is very realistic but for that to happen we are going to need Poland and Germany to beat Ireland and for us not to lose at home to Poland. I think that is what will happen and we will draw at home.

That would mean in the last game the most important one to watch would probably be Poland V Ireland and not the Scotland game.

I am going to assume we take nothing from Germany tonight and Ireland beat Georgia after being let back into it on Friday.

Last 2 games - if we take 6 points then Ireland have to beat either Germany in Dublin or Poland in Warsaw to stop us finishing 3rd. Neither an easy task irrespective of Germany or Poland's status at time of those games. If we draw with Poland then Ireland need a point from either of the two games to win, while not a given, far easier than needing a win.

I am going to assume we take nothing from Germany tonight and Ireland beat Georgia after being let back into it on Friday.

Last 2 games - if we take 6 points then Ireland have to beat either Germany in Dublin or Poland in Warsaw to stop us finishing 3rd.

If that happens we'll be 3rd and Poland 4th!

Whatever happens tonight, a win against Poland at Hampden is a 200% must.

If we can beat them, it'll put pressure on both Poland and Ireland going into the last set of games.....all presuming that Ireland beat Georgia tonight and take nothing out of the game against Germany.

Even getting a point out of tonight's game would be a bonus, but realistically we're looking at 3rd place at best.

This is starting to have a real deja vu sense of desperation around it.

Edited by Rossy

Whatever happens tonight, a win against Poland at Hampden is a 200% must.

If we can beat them, it'll put pressure on both Poland and Ireland going into the last set of games.....all presuming that Ireland beat Georgia tonight and take nothing out of the game against Germany.

If we can beat Poland & Gibraltar we are guaranteed 3rd unless Ireland beat Germany.

The Poland v Ireland game would be a winner takes all for 2nd place with the loser finishing 4th...

If we can beat Poland & Gibraltar we are guaranteed 3rd unless Ireland beat Germany.

The Poland v Ireland game would be a winner takes all for 2nd place with the loser finishing 4th...

And we will beat Gibraltar so it all comes down to Poland next month. Unless we can beat Germany the night.... :blink:

Edited by adamntg

Exactly. The Poland win is do or die for you. Even a draw won't do it for you in my opinion. If we assume Germany beats both of and you draw with Poland and we win tonight then the table will look like this going into the final game.

Germany - 22pts

Poland - 18 pts

Ireland - 15 pts

Scotland - 12pts

It leaves Ireland in a strange position. A win and we're through automatically or do we play it safe and go for a draw and get a play off and Poland qualify automatically and we both go home reasonably happy. The latter is the most likely outcome. However if you can pull off an historic victory against