Midfield - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Midfield

Daz1982

Still gutted after watching last nights game, it was the performance rather than the result which is most concerning.

We put ourselves in a great position with the previous results and yet seemed flat and lacklustre in a must win game.

The majority of games are won and lost in midfield and for me we are just not good enough in that position. I think Darren Fletcher should have started last night, he may have been more able to control the game, this is something that Scott Brown simply can't do on his own, his passing and general technique is poor at times. I have know idea why Morrison starts every game, he offers almost nothing and I can't think of any outstanding performance he has had for us.

I hear people say this is the best Scotland midfield in a generation, absolutely no chance. We have no one at the moment who is close to the likes of McStay, Mcallistair, Collins, Lambert or Barry Ferguson.

Who has said this is the best midfield? I've never heard this pish.

don't know if it because I don't live in scotland anymore but I've gotten to thinking the team are a bunch of nobodies except for a couple of names I recognise.

Edited by scoobydoo

Arguably our weakest area. We lack real creativity and spark at this level and Strachan really has a couple of big decisions to make for the Germany game.

First one being should he drop brown and Morrison?

Think Morrison should definitely be dropped buy he seems to be one of the first names on the team sheet, I have no idea why.

Could be a game for the coolness Darren Fletcher to play behind Brown. Think Fletcher can mentor players through a game whereas Brown can only really focus on his own game.

Morrison has done well for WBA this season playing in an advanced midfield role getting up in support of their striker.

People seem to have forgot this. He was picked because he has been playing well this season. I would rather Strachan picked players who are playing well and actually playing football than those who have had about 30 mins match time this season. Morrison was honking last night, as was the rest of the team but if you are basing the team on who is doing well at the moment he would be there ahead of Fletcher, McArthur, Mulgrew and Brown.

Problem with Morrison is he is being played slightly out of position. He is far better playing as an attacking central mid than a more defensive box to box mid as we play him. Think Fletch or McArthur would both be better for this role. If it was Fletch I'm sure him and brown are experienced enough to be able to switch role between them as nether has the same endurance now to run there legs off for 90 mins